Thread: Moose from Whittier

Default Moose from Whittier

Has anyone or does anyone hunt moose from Whittier...ie: out past Pigot Point? Are there any moose out there that are accessable from the coast, such as Cochoran Bay, Pigot Bay,Culrose Passage? I am looking for someplace I can take my Zodiac and have a decent chance of seeing a legal bull. Since 6D is any bull, maybe someone can tell me whether there are an abundance of moose in that area. I would be willing to take someone along as well, but I am also taking my son and will only be looking for 1 decent bull as not to overload the boat on a return trip.

You can PM me if you don't want to spread the locations to everyone.

Only a moment to respond, so I'll keep it short. There are very, very few bulls in PWS. The only place that I'm sure holds moose is up at the end of King's Bay. The areas you mentioned have zero moose, as far as I'm aware.

There might be a few around cordova, maybe.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default I dunno-

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    There might be a few around cordova, maybe.
    Well, I called Sam Fejes once, for some direction on this, and he told me that there's no sense in going moose hunting anywhere near Cordova, because there aren't any around there. He said it's too far south or something.... uh.... I think?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Moose in the Sound

There are moose towards Cordova. The locals hunt them, and if you go over there and get them talking you'll learn all about it. I don't know very much about it, otherwise I'd share some leads here.
    I have spend a considerable amount of time in the western end of the Sound over the past 11 years or so. I have never seen a moose, and I don't recall ever seeing moose sign in that part of the state.

Looking at where moose populations are in South East (Yakutat, Berners Bay, Haines, Gusdavis) I'd say the best chance for there to be moose around PWS is the copper river valley, but then it'd be hard
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thanks for all the responses. Good Luck to you all and God Bless.