Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: New to duck hunting

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    125

    Default New to duck hunting

    So I just had a few questions about duck hunting around the Portage area. First is the duck hunting good around there I have a small boat to get up the rivers and just wanted to know if its worth the time to hunt there. And second how many decoys do you guys use I have two dozen mallards 12 hen 12 drake. Any suggestions would be great.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    you have everything you need. most walk in at portage or some atv, can use boat in some areas, placer river comes to mine, but you need a motor that will run shallow. good luck, Bud
    Wasilla

  3. #3
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Stay off the tracks or the rail road bulls will deal with you harshly.

    There are some ducks in the area. The river banks can be really alder choked making access hard. Bring a chain saw to cut path through. Some moose hunters have cut paths on the Portage to get their cow out, so keep an eye out for those spots. Might not be in a spot for duck though so you will have to do some serious scouting.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    125

    Default

    I was thinking about going and checking it out next week to see if i can find a spot thanks guys for your help

  5. #5
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    you have everything you need. most walk in at portage or some atv, can use boat in some areas, placer river comes to mine, but you need a motor that will run shallow. good luck, Bud

    Will a surface drive work? I've always wanted to get in there and do some scouting, just never have. I didn't really want to drive all the way down there without a boat. Now that I've got one, I figure it may be worth a trip.

  6. #6
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default

    Taking my surface drive up there this weekend.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  7. #7
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    Taking my surface drive up there this weekend.
    What are you running?

  8. #8
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default New to duck hunting

    14' Jon 18hp copperhead.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  9. #9
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    14' Jon 18hp copperhead.

    Is a 16 footer too big? I know a lot of times we worry if the boat is big enough to travel safely in certain waters, but nothing is worse than having too big of a boat and ending up swamped somewhere. I've got a 16' with a Mud Buddy 5500 BAMF.

  10. #10
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default New to duck hunting

    I dont think a set up that heavy could run quite as shallow but in the channel ud be fine I'm guessing. My boat never touched bottom. Skag did once or twice.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  11. #11
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    I dont think a set up that heavy could run quite as shallow but in the channel ud be fine I'm guessing. My boat never touched bottom. Skag did once or twice.

    Depends on what the bottom is made of !! I'll check it out on Google Earth and see if I can't find some places to check out. I just want to get home and get out and scout!!

  12. #12
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default New to duck hunting

    I think the bottom surface drive/long tails are made for is somewhat rare up here. Most places are rocks and gravel, like 20 mile. Closest thing we have is sand/silt. I just don't have to worry about sucking up rocks, and weeds just turn the rooster tail green is all. If I get beached On a gravel bar its just a matter of pulling the boat back to the water.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  13. #13
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default New to duck hunting

    I think youd be ok. The outboard jets go up, and I feel like sd's can run just as shallow.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  14. #14
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    I think the bottom surface drive/long tails are made for is somewhat rare up here. Most places are rocks and gravel, like 20 mile. Closest thing we have is sand/silt. I just don't have to worry about sucking up rocks, and weeds just turn the rooster tail green is all. If I get beached On a gravel bar its just a matter of pulling the boat back to the water.

    Yeah, hardly any brown mud up here. But, this thing will rip through that thick matted vegetation so I was just wondering. I figured sand/silt, but I've never been out there. It may be a little far to go on a gamble, I'll ask some buddies with bigger boats and see if they've ever been in there. How are things looking in the valley?

  15. #15
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default New to duck hunting

    Well I'm not really sure. Slow silvers is all I keep hearing...I got 3 at deshka last week. Im just getting my decoys together now and packing for The opener already...but i live in anchorage lol
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  16. #16
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    Well I'm not really sure. Slow silvers is all I keep hearing...I got 3 at deshka last week. Im just getting my decoys together now and packing for The opener already...but i live in anchorage lol

    Haha, I was talking about water levels and bird numbers. This close to duck season, I kinda stop caring about fishing up here! Taking one last trip to Homer to try to put some more fish in the freezer before I switch from hook to bullet. I have to miss the first 2 weeks of duck season because I'll be on the slope, but when I get back it's on!

  17. #17
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    I was in the jim creek area today and ran all over it, water really high, but did see a few qucakers flying around. Water level is higher then I've ever seen it there, usually dropping down by now, may drop a bit in next 3 weeks, but don't count on it. Bud
    Wasilla

  18. #18
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    I was in the jim creek area today and ran all over it, water really high, but did see a few qucakers flying around. Water level is higher then I've ever seen it there, usually dropping down by now, may drop a bit in next 3 weeks, but don't count on it. Bud

    Good to know. I'm gonna try to get out there this time home (Aug 15-29) if my motor gets here in time. I won't be home until September 12th next time so I'm not really too concerned with scouting this time since everything will change between now and then. Still wanna get out and at least feel like I'm doing something waterfowl related!

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    I was in the jim creek area today and ran all over it, water really high, but did see a few qucakers flying around. Water level is higher then I've ever seen it there, usually dropping down by now, may drop a bit in next 3 weeks, but don't count on it. Bud
    Was out on leaf today with my wife and daughter when you came in. Thanks for not swamping us curious about the blinds that people are setting up out there, pm me if you would please about that. I plan on hunting out there this year, and many years after, not into the permanent blind thing, have seen some old threads on it, personally I am not for it. Nice day otherwise. No fish by the way, 2 legal bulls and one bear though. Will have bow tomorrow.

  20. #20
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redneckalaskan View Post
    So I just had a few questions about duck hunting around the Portage area. First is the duck hunting good around there I have a small boat to get up the rivers and just wanted to know if its worth the time to hunt there. And second how many decoys do you guys use I have two dozen mallards 12 hen 12 drake. Any suggestions would be great.

    Thanks


    One thing I might suggest is to use decoys according to how the birds you see actually look. Early in the season, drakes will still be brown, so going to the marsh with a load of drake decoys may look a little unnatural. Just my two cents, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •