Thread: Did something (a little) dumb and a question

Default Did something (a little) dumb and a question

I was reloading 45 colt with Universal and 255 gr lead SWC. I have a Lee turret and Auto-disk and was shooting for 8.0 grains. After fussing with it and having a hard time getting it dialed in, I settled on 8.4 as close enough. (This is for a Ruger Blackhawk so I wasn't worried about a slight over-charge)

After getting about 25 rounds complete, I take another look at the scale and see it is set for 7.4 grains; which explains why I had to keep dialing down the disks to get it close. The data I have puts 8.0 as the minimum charge for this bullet. The SWC doesn't have enough of a place for my bullet puller to get a grip on it. SO the question is this - is a .5 - .6 undercharge dangerous with Universal? Will this produce hang fires? Or will this be an even softer load?

Thanks!

No you're fine. Shoot 'em. Universal is not a powder that carries a warning about "light loads". The velocity will be slightly lower. About 800 fps in 5.5" bbl. I've done the same thing. Set the powder up correctly and the scale up wrong. It happens. I always Terri my scale and recheck the dump after all cases are charged but no bullet seated when using a single stage. You can't recheck too many times.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I triple check and still catch myself making mistakes...but then that's the point of trying to make it all idiot proof.

Universal should be fine. I used it for subsonic loads before I discovered Trail Boss.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

OK. Thanks, that's what I was thinking with Universal but didn't want to blow my hand off.

A tool I keep handy is kinetic bullet puller. A little plastic hollowed out hammer. I call it little miss take away.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    A tool I keep handy is kinetic bullet puller. A little plastic hollowed out hammer. I call it little miss take away.
    Yup one of these:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/685...let-puller-kit
    Other cheaper brands are fine too I just like this one myself.

And I use shell holders in it with the opening facing the handle, the collets that come with them don't last very long. Swing fast so it bounces back hard.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Try tight group - cheaper than the trail boss and works about the same if maybe a little cleaner.