Thread: Goodpaster question

Default Goodpaster question

Just got a large Wooly, very capable of hauling a wheeler. Would there be any reason to haul a wheeler up the Goodpaster for hunting? Looking at the Topo, the Goodpaster flats look kind of wheelable. Let me know what you think please, respectively not trying to tread on your spot.

How far up where you thinking? If you get up about 50 mile you get in the hills and you could not use one....

I've never been there, so I don't know how far up I was planning. As far as I can go I guess.

I would be more concerened with hauling that Wooly up the river than the atv. Talk to compeau's in fairbanks, they seem to be the expert on that river. That river has eaten it's share of boats, obviosly worse the farther up you go.

Be on the look out there are over 85 property owners.... So look out for them..... And I bet you would not go past 60 or 70 mile Just my thought I do not see 8v inboards up there.... But you may push your boat more then others! Good luck

Might as well just go road hunting. As far as you will get a big boat up the Goodpasture you will likely be in someones front yard.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Iíve never gone up the Goodpaster hunting just because of the number of boat trailers parked at the bridge boat launch. That place gets CROWDED! Iíve hunted a few places between the Goodpaster and the main river which actually works out pretty well. That crowd up the Goodpaster tends to push the moose out after a few days.

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I just got my first boat in Ak, considered the Salcha, then Goodpaster, after reading about both rivers here, I think I will just stay on the Tanana.

There are definitely good places to take a wheeler off the Tanana.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    Might as well just go road hunting. As far as you will get a big boat up the Goodpasture you will likely be in someones front yard.
    lot of the issues we have around our moose harvest and regulations come from a lot of folks up there and the salcha both, trying to keep others out..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Having many friends on both rivers I can certainly sympathize with them. Many have had their cabins for several generations and think of their cabins as home away from home. It is already crowded without tons more hunters pouring in from down south. I no longer hunt either river system so I could care less but combat hunting is not for me.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Please notice on my post where I said " respectfully not trying to tread on your spot". Like I said earlier, I just got my first boat in AK. I don't know where I'm going yet, combat hunting is not for me either. I didn't know the Salcha and the Goodpaster were packed with hunters until I started reading here. You can kindly tell all of your friends with cabins that they won't be seeing me!

Default goodpaster question

Well said Vince!

The problem in Alaska is that if a large inboard jet can get up and back down a river there are going to be a lot of hunters on it come hunting season. The Yukon is the one exception I can think of off the top of my head and that is due to how large it is(people are spread out more) and the cost associated with hunting it in a boat.

Thanks buddy, already map scouting in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by ToolMan907 View Post
    IMG_0383[1].jpgEnough said.
    Oh that has to suck, I am guessing the river dropped