Thread: 200 Sportjet running temps

Default 200 Sportjet running temps

While dipping on the Kenai this year I noticed on my smart craft gauge the temp reading 149 degrees. While I occasionally scroll through the different modes on the SC gauge, I usually keep it on the temp. In all my running last year the only time my temp. got much over 100 was when I was trolling while dipnetting, and even then it didn't get much above 100, and would come right down to the upper 70's once I got up and running on step. So far this year I've only used the boat for dipping and during the 4 days I was down there, the temp would go up to 149 and stay. I removed the heater thermostat and bypassed it, to see if that could be the problem. It wasn't. When I got home and was able to flush the engine, with water from the hose, the temp on the SC gauge went right back up to 149 degrees and stayed. Both the water exhaust ports on the transom seemed to function properly, as they both had a continuous, strong stream of water out of them, and when I would put my hand underneath the streams, neither one would be even luke warm. They were a tad bit warmer than the water comming directly out of my well, but definitely no where near 149 degrees.

So why is my smart craft gauge now always reading 149 degrees when in the past it had always read much lower? Could my SC gauge be malfunctioning? To an idiot that's not much of a mechanic (that would be me), it doesn't seem like my engine is getting close to the overheat point. For you folks running 200 Sportjets, do you know what your running temps are? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, the boat/engine seem to be running perfectly.

I rarely get above 70 degrees. I let the engine warm up but usually it means letting it idle until I hit 60 and then it won’t get any warmer until I get underway. This has always bothered me because I’ve read the tolerances so close on the engine you can damage it running it cold. I’ve mentioned this to two Optimax mechanics and they’ve both said that is a normal temperature.
    I’ve gone through the Service Manual trying to figure out where they are measuring water temperature. Thinking maybe its placement is such that it’s measuring the water temperature early in the cooling path. My heater sure feels like it putting out more than 70 degree air.
    The Service Manual doesn’t show any “Water Temperature” sensors. However it does show two “Cylinder Head Temperature” sensors which seem to be pretty close to the water path. I’ve always wondered it they wired those two together and called that “Water Temperature”. I’m guessing here but if that’s true and one sensor is shorted it would cause your displayed go up. At some point if the ECM thinks the temperature is too high it will start to retard engine timing. My worry would be that would happen at the worst possible time.
    I’ve attached two pages from the service manual showing sensor location and testing in case you want to take a shot at checking those sensors out.

Good luck!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    While dipping on the Kenai this year I noticed on my smart craft gauge the temp reading 149 degrees. While I occasionally scroll through the different modes on the SC gauge, I usually keep it on the temp. In all my running last year the only time my temp. got much over 100 was when I was trolling while dipnetting, and even then it didn't get much above 100, and would come right down to the upper 70's once I got up and running on step. So far this year I've only used the boat for dipping and during the 4 days I was down there, the temp would go up to 149 and stay. I removed the heater thermostat and bypassed it, to see if that could be the problem. It wasn't. When I got home and was able to flush the engine, with water from the hose, the temp on the SC gauge went right back up to 149 degrees and stayed. Both the water exhaust ports on the transom seemed to function properly, as they both had a continuous, strong stream of water out of them, and when I would put my hand underneath the streams, neither one would be even luke warm. They were a tad bit warmer than the water comming directly out of my well, but definitely no where near 149 degrees.

So why is my smart craft gauge now always reading 149 degrees when in the past it had always read much lower? Could my SC gauge be malfunctioning? To an idiot that's not much of a mechanic (that would be me), it doesn't seem like my engine is getting close to the overheat point. For you folks running 200 Sportjets, do you know what your running temps are? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Do you think the little holes in the liner are plugged by something? little rocks maybe?

Water temps has an effect on my eng temps. I run between 75 or lower degs depends on the river temps. The only time my boat gets over heated is during a WOT run and I ground it, then it rises up to the 120-140 range.

Iv'e always thought mine should run hotter as well, 70 degrees is about the hottest Iv'e ever seen. I alway thought it was because I do not run a heater.

Wow... thats as high as it should be? My temp gage goes from 90' up to 180'. No wonder it never moves. If the temp should be around 70' why the heck would the temp gage not even start until 90'? Doesn't make sence to me. I guess now I know that if it moves, the temps are too hot... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Hey Bob I believe everyone is talking about the smart craft gauge. Digital gauge starts at 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    Wow... thats as high as it should be? My temp gage goes from 90' up to 180'. No wonder it never moves. If the temp should be around 70' why the heck would the temp gage not even start until 90'? Doesn't make sence to me. I guess now I know that if it moves, the temps are too hot... "fishon"
    Bob,
    I had the analog gauges in my boat before I replaced them with the SmartCraft. It had always bothered me that normally the temperature gauge never moved and when it did move it was too late.
    It’s probably just me, but I’ve always felt controlling the engine temperature would go a long ways in helping engine longevity. Let it warm up before taking off and don’t let it over heat. A temperature gauge that didn’t move wasn’t helpful and that was my primary justification in changing over to Smartcraft.

It’s been awhile, but I think my analog gauge started at 60 degrees. I can look when I get home and if you want you can have it. I suspect it would be a direct replacement.

Ya I kinda figured. Just thought I would through that out there. Mine is the analog. Will get the smartgauge in the future... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by f0zzy2 View Post
    Hey Bob I believe everyone is talking about the smart craft gauge. Digital gauge starts at 0.
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Quote Originally Posted by Armed_alaskan View Post
    Do you think the little holes in the liner are plugged by something? little rocks maybe?

Water temps has an effect on my eng temps. I run between 75 or lower degs depends on the river temps. The only time my boat gets over heated is during a WOT run and I ground it, then it rises up to the 120-140 range.
    If the holes in the liner were plugged would it still get hot when it's being flushed with the hose? Also, wouldn't the water coming out of the transom ports be warm to the touch? Could my smart craft gauge be malfunctioning?

Mine did same thing dip netting. I pulled a couple line off. To make sure they went plugged. What I learned is no water circulates through the motor until you start coming up in rpms. Next time out pull the hose off that squirts out the back and you'll see what I'm talking about.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    If the holes in the liner were plugged would it still get hot when it's being flushe....
    the liner holes dont come into play when using your hose....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    the liner holes dont come into play when using your hose....
    That's what I figured. I had a new SS sleeve installed this winter and started thinking that maybe the sleeve had slipped a little, but then when I'm plugged into the hose and just flushing the motor it still comes right back up to 149 degrees. I guess the only way to tell if the SC gauge is malfunctioning would be to hook the motor up the the computer and see if the actual engine temps have hit 149. Or is there an easier way to tell if the gauge is not working right? Also, wouldn't the water coming out of the transom ports be a little warm? It is warmer than my well water, but it's still no where near body temp. (98.6 degrees).