Thread: Eyes Out for a stolen Tikka .243, on Kodiak,... or traveling

Default Eyes Out for a stolen Tikka .243, on Kodiak,... or traveling

Awww, A Bad day it was, you know when something goes missing, and you just can't believe it could be true ??
    especially for simple "Too Trustworthy a Lifestyle" (ok, more like flat out foolishness)

Had my 10yr old to the range to fire the .243 I had lined up for his birthday on the 18th,....of this August
    back at the harbor on Near Island, bringing stuff down to the boat, for some Deer Hunting coming up,...

I apparently left the rifle behind the seat of an old 1978 truck, that I never imagined would get worked over,.... So it may have been in broad daylight, but when I noticed it not there, I figured I had dropped it off in storage,...
    took a day and a half of, "in denial," searching everywhere I would have left it,....nope, it was behind the seat, and ain't there now
    I'm now looking for,...

A Stolen : Tikka T-3 Lite, in .243 with Stainless Barrel, Black Fiber Stock, Leupold VX-1 4-12x40 scope, mounted in the original Tikka Rings
    (I do have the serial numbers, as do the Kodiak Police, in case anyone is wondering)
    Is in one of those real nice soft bags, (can't remember the brand) bag is light green, has a bore cleaning guide in the bag pocket, and a Dewey one pce cleaning rod inside with the rifle.

Thought I'd spread the word up north, in case anyone wants to switch out the scope at a shop or try to sell somewhere, and posting with the shooters, in case anyone sees this fairly unique rifle/scope/bag combination

It's virtually spotless for wear or scratches, but the scope ring mount screws, are not uniform, I had a problem with one screw, so it is a different head than the other three (like straight bit vs. the torx bit head or something like that)

Thanks for the network of friends,
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Oh that sucks! I’ll be a lookin. Brings back memories for me, some jerk did that to me at the Yavapai County Fair in Arizona back about 1984. My truck was parked behind the cattle barns where only exhibitors were allowed, they popped the wing window on my 76 Ford (I still have that truck) and took my 308 Mouser only those that knew me knew was behind the seat. Had to be someone I knew, I‘m still looking but haven’t found that rifle yet.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I had that happen with a pet 1894 Marlin 44 mag a some years ago. It was behind the seat instead of in the safe where it belonged. I had a suspect who in my mind was guilty but didn't have enough hard evidence to hang him. The dude never had any interest in guns but tried to hock one at a pawn shop 30 miles down the road. The broker didn't meet his price so he left with the gun or we'da had him. He knows the heat was on so that gun is probably in the bottom of a farm pond.
    I'm sorry to see that happen to someone else and hope you get it back and that you get the person who took it!.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I'm sorry to see that happen to someone else and hope you get it back and that you get the person who took it!.
    Me too.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I'll put info up at the indoor range and see if I can get something posted on the KISA website. You have a picture you could email me.

Real sorry to hear about your loss and hope it shows up soon.

Thanks guys,

no, unfortunately, I don't have a pic of the rifle

interesting to read, the stories of some of you knowing who it was, to some degree,...

I'm also about 98% sure I know who it was, a guy with theft problem in his background, considers himself a friend of mine I imagine,
    and in my mind, one of very few who would feel he could get in my truck, searching behind the seat, etc.
    also, cause he probably had seen us going down to the boat with other rifles and hunting gear,...

that's the worst, figuring he knows it is not going to be sellable, and imaging him pitching it into the ocean,....

No news yet, trying to figure out how to approach that guy, ask him to, "keep an eye out for me among his shady peers?"
    you know, mention that it is my sons birthday present, still have time to get it back,....appeal to any compassion he may have left ??

"If you hear about it, let them know they could just return it to my truck rather than toss it overboard,..." something like that

That's what the police suggested, (they know him well, from his past, stealing skiffs and outboards, etc.)
    see if facing him, he might see what an "Uncool move, that was,"....

Oh Well
    saving my pennies for another one

That Tikka was one fine piece of equipment, that's for sure
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

BE CAREFUL !! some "people" do stupid things when they're scared

total bummer on your lost rifle. With that said, sounds like an opportunity to get a 243 that is built more appropriately. When I say this, I'm referring to a bolt action rifle that is an actual short action chambered for a short action cartridge, where the tikka is a long action rifle chambered for short action cartridges. Never understood that. You can then get a rifle that uses an internal magazine that holds 5 cartridges under an empty chamber instead of 3. Take a look at the browning a-bolts, and the winchester model 70's. In the compact versions, the browning weighs 6lbs 2 oz. and the winchester weighs 6lbs 8 oz.

Ha, yeah, I'll agree,..... a lost rifle, is always a reason to get a different one,...

and I admit, I've had an A-bolt, in 25-06, for many years, that I just loved and can't get that out of my mind

but that Tikka, as wierd as the chambering issue you mention is,....was a phenomenally accurate and smooth rifle
    really pretty light, and as it was just $500 something, (well probably into 8-900 with the scope)
    as a low budget rifle, that performed excellently, it was perfect for my sons first,...
    you know, he could pack it easy, bang it around, and at nearly half the price of a Browning,...
    The long action, considering the Tikka Smoothness, didn't seem as noticeable as it would seem

For the price, and considering the tough build, hopefully,...Dad would not be cringing as much, while he learned rifle care,....

Now ya got me thinking tho,....my next,....really may be one of the Brownings,....

Sometimes if you let a second party start asking around in that area for a 243 to buy cheap you can hook a thief and then call the law or bait crab pots
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I found a photo of the rifle as it is,....most recently was rigged for scope and scope covers,...
    At least I did get one kill with the new rifle,....would be really bummed if all it had shot was paper

not such a good close-up, and you can see, it's about as average an Alaskan Coastal rifle as can be imagined
    but the scope is not really average, for a .243,...

a Leupold VX-1, 4-12x40,....in Gloss Black,

seems almost everyone has a 3-9x scope, and with the stock Tikka rings,
    another thing most Tikka owners replace,...who knows, is worth posting the pic anyway,

the only thing I can imagine that distinguishes it, is the one scope ring mount screw,
    the left rear one I think it was, very visible from the top, that is not stock, not the same as the others
    has a different head,...would be obvious to someone just taking a look, as in, "What're ya shootin' there,...?"
    Otherwise, I don't think there is a scratch on it

Just to keep in mind for those who are out at the Ranges around the Southcentral part of the state

Thanks again guys, who knows, it's worth keeping an eye out, just to stop a Rifle Thief,
    and yeah, Crab bait,...never have enough of that stuff around

nbh40,.... will this work for you, or should I email you a copy?
    seems a good enough photo to post around town,
    Maybe I can post it at Macks, on the "Hunting Success Pics Board" they have there with a note below,
    "Rifle, Needing Return to Owner,...."
    Tikka serial # C82509

Al, sorry to hear about the theft, hope you recover it in the near future. BTW, isn't that the little Misty blackie you took down here?

Yep, sure is,.....Can ya tell,....by the sunshine breaking through the forest ??

was a great hunt, and I'm so glad I wasn't waiting for this Deer season to draw blood with it,...

I'm coming to grips with the loss now, and figure I got the value out of it for sure,...

Ran 777 rounds through it at the range in Port Townsend, before it's first Hunting shot fired....
    was a, total "Peace of Mind Adjuster," throughout the shipyard grind,
    had a great time setting up a reloading bench inside the little boat, exclusively for that rifle (only one I brought down south)

and I learned to Adore the .243 caliber throughout all that,....

then, solely because I had a rifle along,...and fine tune 95gr Partitions in a box,....
    I slowed the boat down enough to get some hunting in through Southeast,...
    and,... if I hadn't had that motivation, I never would have taken the detour up and around Revilla,...
    to do the Misty Fjords Tour,...something, I've always wanted to do,....

So, it all works out somehow,....and truth be told, my son, firing it for his first time,
    first time touching off anything larger than a .22,....said something like, "It'd be ok, to wait another year, Dad,...."
    He was Fully Closing his eyes on trigger pull, by the time he had run three rounds down range

Funny, eh? He's ready,...but why push him, he's diggin' Ptarmigan and Bunny hunting now,....

But, I Still Want That Rifle Back,....!!!!

Default Pretty Cool, for his first group

I'm just messin' around with photos, thought I'd stash this one in "The Cloud," that is the internet

for kicks, so this thread'll work, eh?

It's the first group my ten yr old fired out of his .243,....and not bad, considering, (as mentioned previously),

he was Fully Closing His Eyes, by the third shot, .....something only a Dad could chuckle about

Oh man, that's sad. Hope you get it back!
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.