Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firelogs vs. Charcoal

Default Firelogs vs. Charcoal

For those of you who bring along the fake wooden firelogs like Duraflame, etc., have you noticed any to work better than others? Main goals are length of burn and weight. Weight is less of a concern than burn time, though. I'll be on Kodiak for 2 1/2 weeks and I'm trying to figure out how many of these I'd need to bring.

Someone had also mentioned charcoal in another thread. For those with experience using each, which would you recommend and how do they compare to each other? I've never used them in a stove in a tent, so I'm curious which I should plan to use. Interested in all pros and cons (even stuff like charcoal makes my hands black!)

Thanks!

i wouldnt cook over them fake logs, unless you wanna die of some crazy cancer.
    Semper Fi!

fake logs will creasote (or wax or whatever) up the fire grates on my kifaur large wood stove. I tried them once and won't use them again.

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    i wouldnt cook over them fake logs, unless you wanna die of some crazy cancer.

Not planning to cook over them. Strictly for warmth and drying gear. May use the heat on the top of the stove to fry something, but nothing "over" the flame...

Also, I'm lookin for a stove to use in an Arktika, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them...

I always carry duraflame logs. Charcoal seems to soak up moisture and end of story. On that note though, I don't like using them in a wall tent with a stove. The seem to be very sooty and leave soot all over the tent on the roof and I only used the small ones to start a fire if the wood was damp.

If you do end up using charcoal in a tent, make darn sure you have LOTS of ventilation. Years ago down here on the Kenai, a father, and his father died, and the son, a little boy, lived because he was on the floor of a small cabin where they used charcoal to heat it with. The fumes killed them....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    If you do end up using charcoal in a tent, make darn sure you have LOTS of ventilation. Years ago down here on the Kenai, a father, and his father died, and the son, a little boy, lived because he was on the floor of a small cabin where they used charcoal to heat it with. The fumes killed them....

Fumes from charcoal? We're they using the match light kind? If I use charcoal, I'd kinda planned to still take one fire log and use it to light plain ol charcoal with no charcoal fluid or anything...

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Fumes from charcoal? We're they using the match light kind? If I use charcoal, I'd kinda planned to still take one fire log and use it to light plain ol charcoal with no charcoal fluid or anything...
    I don't know what kind it was, all I know is that they said that's what killed them....

It does not matter what you use to light Charcoal, Charcoal putout carbon-monoxide when burn. You must use a stove that is vented outside.

Anything that burns must be ventilated. If you burn dura flame logs in an open fire the fumes are foul. A wood stove with proper draft and adequate ventilation is required. Also watch out for the spark arrestor on the tip of your pipe. Dura log soot will clog that thing quickly and cause a tent or cabin to get very smokey and dangerous. I know all this from experience. I only burn Dura logs when I'm awake. They work great, light quickly and produce good heat. Add natural wood and life is good.

just spoon with a good buddy to keep warm thru the night.
    Semper Fi!

LOL... you are one wierd dude!

It's called Carbon Monoxide. It's oderless, it's a gas, replaces oxygen in the oxygen receptor sites in your body, it's created from burning any fossel fuel. Any fossel fuel, gasoline, charcoal, wood, fire logs and the list goes on. In high consentrations it is deadly and will kill you or leave you brain dead in minutes. Think like this Any Fuel + Fire = ventelation............always.........

You think!!!!!!!!!!!

He has a picture on the forum with out a shirt, with hair most girls would love to have and his hand .. well I not going there. Tell someone to spoon with his butty. Just saying.

Now that we've properly covered ventilation, a topic I'd filed under "no ****," how to properly spoon with a mulleted buddy, and not to cook over duraflame logs, can we get back on topic? I know about CO, but the way he said fumes made it sound like something else was put out. I'm not really planning to use the stove for much more than warmth and drying out. I'm not planning on leaving it lit overnight, and I am planning to have it well ventilated. I'm leaning towards the duraflame logs with a daily stovepipe cleaning. Seems like they'd be more water resistant and easier to light than charcoal. If the wood situation is decent where we set up, then we'll try to get a good fire going with wood in the area started with a duraflame chunk. Again, all ventilated, not burning overnight, not cooking over it, and not spooning! Thoughts?

Thoughts?
    I think if you're going with a solid fuel fired shepherd type stove, rather than gas, then the duraflame logs should serve you well. If it were me and I was going to chunk them up and use them as starter in combination with natural wood, I would store the opened package outside of my tent somewhere. Whatever hydrocarbon component they use is pretty stinky stuff, at least to my nose (high VOC content).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

If your stove is tight then I would run a fire at night. That is one of the best things about having a stove in a wall tent, you don't freeze your mullet off!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    If your stove is tight then I would run a fire at night. That is one of the best things about having a stove in a wall tent, you don't freeze your mullet off!
    I wish he WOULD freeze his mullet off......!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I wish he WOULD freeze his mullet off......!!!

No mullet here!

Thanks for a nice laugh this morning, guys. I wasn't expecting it when I started reading the thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast