Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: input needed (game prossesing)

Default input needed (game prossesing)

Do you guys think there is a need for another game prosseser in the palmer area ? I have a shop and all the equepment needed to do this along with 18 years of butcher experience and would be able to under cut the big outfits on price . I can't smoke meats this year but would do fresh sausage with no msg ect. So what do you guys think ,is there a market?

There is always a market for a good butcher in town. Every year you read how guys were screwed over etc. All people want is 1. there meat back not someone elses (seems to be a big problem) 2. a good product at a good price. I take my meat to a smaller processor in Anchorage he charges a fair price and takes in so much meat then stops. I suspect someone will be by shortly and suggest that we just do it ourselves. Unforuntately I don't have the time or the equipement to do it myself. To add to that someone will be along and say well you can rent that equipement at such and such place.

If you undercut all the "big outfits" you could end up being overwhelmed quickly. You will need to set a policy about how much you can take in and process. And then be curtious to those that show up and demand service when being denied.

Do you have enough freezer/cooler space to handle 10 to 15 moose? A lot of guys will come pick up their meat at a time that is not on your schedule and you will need to store it.

The guy that 323 (and others) uses here in east Anchorage does a good job. Quick, clean, nicely wrapped, breakfast sausage and chirozo are excellent as is the bacon burger. However, I will not have him send out meat for summer sausage again. I'll take the meat to someplace else for cooked/smoked sausage. His subcontractor has gone down hill.

Well I have a 8x10 walk in cooler for storage , but I still need to get a freezer the orders waiting for pick up. Also would be guaranteeing your meat back . What would you guys think about food safty as a advertising point . I've been certified for food safty with the state and federal .

Will you be inspected or are you running under the radar?

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    Will you be inspected or are you running under the radar?
    Well fist year starting off will be under the radar just to see how much business is out there.

Turn away customers with dirty or bad meat as they usually gripe about all the loss due to trimming and advise customers of expected results after weigh-in.........amazing how many folks accuse butchers of stealing their moose meat as many think a 600 pound fork horn should yield 400 pounds of steak.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear400 View Post
    Well fist year starting off will be under the radar just to see how much business is out there.
    With an annual harvest of nearly 5000 moose you'll find more than enough business out there, doing it right and developing a solid rep is on you.

Getting my own game meat back, well that's always an obvious. That goes without saying. A guy should always get his own met back aside from cut pork for burger sausage etc.

Don't change the order, make sure the customer is 100% accurate on te order and stick to it, don't add or change anything without getting there approval.

Deliver the final product when you say you will, no matter what it takes.

Run the shop legit. Offer customers a walk around so they see your operating a nice clean place.

Make sure you have more than adequate storage for reefer and frozen. If your full up your full.

Don't take in more than you can handle.

Just my .02 based of my own leanings.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    With an annual harvest of nearly 5000 moose you'll find more than enough business out there, doing it right and developing a solid rep is on you.

Getting my own game meat back, well that's always an obvious. That goes without saying. A guy should always get his own met back aside from cut pork for burger sausage etc.

Don't change the order, make sure the customer is 100% accurate on te order and stick to it, don't add or change anything without getting there approval.

Deliver the final product when you say you will, no matter what it takes.

Run the shop legit. Offer customers a walk around so they see your operating a nice clean place.

Make sure you have more than adequate storage for reefer and frozen. If your full up your full.

Don't take in more than you can handle.

Just my .02 based of my own leanings.
    Thanks for your input , I agree 100%

How do you think the harvest will be this year ? It was a bad year for moose, road kill ect.

Safe bet that fall moose harvest will run as normal.

But, I'm not 323 or a biologist.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Safe bet that fall moose harvest will run as normal.

But, I'm not 323 or a biologist.
    Yep that is true but I say my prayers every night I wish upon falling stars asking why cant I be like TWB. The baddest moose, bear killing machine in Alaska. Still nothing "sigh"

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    The guy that 323 (and others) uses here in east Anchorage does a good job. Quick, clean, nicely wrapped, breakfast sausage and chirozo are excellent as is the bacon burger. However, I will not have him send out meat for summer sausage again. I'll take the meat to someplace else for cooked/smoked sausage. His subcontractor has gone down hill.
    that bacon burger is pretty good.

Not to hijack the thread but I would like to see a place where I could take meat to hang for 5-10 days. I do my own cut and wrap but with my schedule it would be nice to have a business that just provided cooler space for those of us who do our own butchering. If there is one out there I would love to know about it.

Mart

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Yep that is true but I say my prayers every night I wish upon falling stars asking why cant I be like TWB. The baddest moose, bear killing machine in Alaska. Still nothing "sigh"
    No sir. I'm taking lessons from you!!

No sir. I'm taking lessons from you!!
    Shoot sensei you were catching all the fishes not me.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    that bacon burger is pretty good.
    Now you guys tell me he offers bacon burger!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Now you guys tell me he offers bacon burger!
    Nah keep taking your stuff to the joint in eagle river.... It's a new product he brought out last year. As I said for you eagle river

The place I use has an awesome business motto IMO. They will only take in one species of an animal at a time guaranteeing you get your meat back but he also guarantees next day turn aaround for burger, steaks, roasts and basic sausages with a 3 day turn around on anything smoked or stuffed since it is more labor intensive. With him and his team working on only your animal and the next day turn around they actually go through ALOT of animals in the season. It is pretty on par for pricing and they have an amazing jalapeņo cheddar potato sausage.

Maybe I should see if I can find a line on some bacon . Sounds good!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast