Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWS shrimping trip this weekend

Default PWS shrimping trip this weekend

Well gave it another try at shrimping this weekend and needless to say little to no luck. I did on the other hand get pots full of crab. Is this normal to get crab in your shrimp pots? I did throw all of them back, but did take the chance to get a picture of them. My knowledge of type of crap is very limited, can someone please tell me what type of crab these are?crab from pot.jpgholding crab.jpg

I believe that they are snow crab. Big fine should you try to keep one. I move or soak for less time if I find them.......

These are Tanner Crabs. Very similar to Snows but taste a little more sweet to me.

we did move and try a different spot same thing. Do crab tend to stay in a certian area or bay or do they constantly move around. We were setting pots at 500ft when we were picking this guys up. On the pots would it hurt to make the entrance a alittle smaller or put some twine inbetween to make the holes less passible? I do have to say that it was nice catching them as this is my first year being a boater and its cool to see what you can pull up from the bottom. Finding the shrimp is seeming to be the hard part, but i enjoy getting out and trying new areas.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I would have to think that your tunnels are waaaaay too big if those guys are inside your shrimp pots.

Im pretty sure there is a personal use season in the winter. They are yummy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I would have to think that your tunnels are waaaaay too big if those guys are inside your shrimp pots.
    That was my thought as well. I've caught tanners in shrimp pots before, but they were tiny - maybe 2-3" carapace instead of ones like that.

Smaller tunnels will keep the crab out and the shrimp in.

the pots that i am using are from the pot barn in palmer, they are older ones with an oval type opening. I am definetly going to try and put some twine in there next time as these guys along with the sand lice loved my bait i put in there.

We only caught the hitchikers or little ones. I think that the hitchikers were eating my shrimp too. You might try to go a bit deeper.....but I haven't had any pots down out there for a month....

You can tighten up those tunnels with either zip ties on the hoops or run some twine "bars" up & down through the wire, space it 2 meshes apart. One reason your catching crab is because your on mud bottom find some harder bottom and you should do better.
    folding with bars.jpgfolding with hoop bars.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thanks steve for the pictures that realy helps. I am defenitly going to give that a try and see what happens.

I have put two zip ties on each of my tunnels. That divides the tunnel opening into thirds. Plenty of room for shrimp to get , and seems to keep the crab out. Did pretty good on shrimp the past few days at about 400 to 450.

My thoughts are AF&G needs to limit the shrimp fishery to spring and early summer and open up Tanner crab to personal use later on. Itís become all too obvious that the shrimp are not reproducing and maturing at rate consistent with current harvest regulations. The gear in the water has probably quadrupled in the last 8 years. We have enjoyed a gluten fishery for too many years, time to reevaluate and adjust.
    Sure there are a few honey holes out there, but the whole sound was a honey hole 6 years ago when we first started shrimping.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    My thoughts are AF&G needs to limit the shrimp fishery to spring and early summer and open up Tanner crab to personal use later on. Itís become all too obvious that the shrimp are not reproducing and maturing at rate consistent with current harvest regulations. The gear in the water has probably quadrupled in the last 8 years. We have enjoyed a gluten fishery for too many years, time to reevaluate and adjust.
    Sure there are a few honey holes out there, but the whole sound was a honey hole 6 years ago when we first started shrimping.
    Nothing to feed the honey holes, they get caught up before they get there. Here's what i'd like to see to help the fishery stay healthy

Rec fishery needs to report in monthly so F&G has a better idea on harvest
    season shortened by 4-6 weeks to let the sex changers summer spawners do their thing
    close in areas closed mid summer to prevent over harvest of heavily fished areas (by EO from monthly reporting)
    hate to say it but maybe a number of shrimp per person and or per boat limit (also by EO if possible)
    All of this should be done with the most flexibility as possible so we can have maximum harvest without hurting the stock. Its like one of the biologists told me "its the only shell fishery in the state that has recovered" so why let it go down the tubes again. Lets get ahead of the curve and do something before its to late.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Wonder if the increase in the number of cod over the last couple of years has affected the shrimp population any. Had someone tell me the other day that they caught a cod that had about 3 shrimp in it.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Wonder if the increase in the number of cod over the last couple of years has affected the shrimp population any. Had someone tell me the other day that they caught a cod that had about 3 shrimp in it.
    Don't know. We haven't caught near the numbers of cod this year as we have in past years.

I read the PWS commercial cod harvest was the highest by far in the last handful of years or so. I was happy to hear thhi increased take in hopes of being able to better target halibut this year. Last season we could hardly get past the cod to pluck a chicken or two ~ this year I don't think we boated more than a half dozen cod all season. This said, from my vantage point I don't think cod are the issue. As stated in my previous posts on the subject "self restraint" is key. I am indeed grateful for the advice I've gotten from this site and feel fortunate to have done pretty well on shrimp this season while others' apparently suffered. We opted to not haul/set pots on numerous trips leading up to our famlies visiting in July. We set a few pots for the family to experience this fishery closer in and caught very few prawns and more coonstripes than anything.

I second your ideas Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Nothing to feed the honey holes, they get caught up before they get there. Here's what i'd like to see to help the fishery stay healthy

Rec fishery needs to report in monthly so F&G has a better idea on harvest
    season shortened by 4-6 weeks to let the sex changers summer spawners do their thing
    close in areas closed mid summer to prevent over harvest of heavily fished areas (by EO from monthly reporting)
    hate to say it but maybe a number of shrimp per person and or per boat limit (also by EO if possible)
    All of this should be done with the most flexibility as possible so we can have maximum harvest without hurting the stock. Its like one of the biologists told me "its the only shell fishery in the state that has recovered" so why let it go down the tubes again. Lets get ahead of the curve and do something before its to late.

Default PWS shrimping trip this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    I read the PWS commercial cod harvest was the highest by far in the last handful of years or so. I was happy to hear thhi increased take in hopes of being able to better target halibut this year. Last season we could hardly get past the cod to pluck a chicken or two ~ this year I don't think we boated more than a half dozen cod all season. This said, from my vantage point I don't think cod are the issue. As stated in my previous posts on the subject "self restraint" is key. I am indeed grateful for the advice I've gotten from this site and feel fortunate to have done pretty well on shrimp this season while others' apparently suffered. We opted to not haul/set pots on numerous trips leading up to our famlies visiting in July. We set a few pots for the family to experience this fishery closer in and caught very few prawns and more coonstripes than anything.
    Would be interested in the cod myself, as I have been finding them very sparsely the last two years as I like them better than Halibut. Bled well they taste great and flake well. Lovely white meat. When you see the sores on the skin, it isn't a sick fish, but parasites like the sand fleas. If you skin them after you fillet them, the meat underneath is clear and fine. As I am on the eastern side of the sound, I take it they (the cod) are prevalent over on the western side?

We got into them thick around this time of year last season toward the south west end of Naked Is. Those we did catch this year were in pretty great shape. We tossed a few smaller ones back but kept some cleaner larger ones. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by justjeff View Post
    Would be interested in the cod myself, as I have been finding them very sparsely the last two years as I like them better than Halibut. Bled well they taste great and flake well. Lovely white meat. When you see the sores on the skin, it isn't a sick fish, but parasites like the sand fleas. If you skin them after you fillet them, the meat underneath is clear and fine. As I am on the eastern side of the sound, I take it they (the cod) are prevalent over on the western side?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast