Thread: Children's winter/school clothes advice

Default Children's winter/school clothes advice

Hello,

I have posted different things on here before about moving, but we finally have a solid move date. We will move from Arkansas to Sterling on Dec. 28th. We were there fishing 2 weeks ago and I put a deposit down on a house to rent. The question my wife and I have are what kind of winter clothes do we need to be looking at for the kids? I don't want to get up there and have to spend tons of cash buying spur of the minute clothing. I like to try to plan ahead as best I can. I don't want to come across as an idiot or anything. Any advice would be appreciated. I used to work on the slope, so I know what cold is. I'm just worried about my kids because they don't. Thanks AG

Default kids winter clothes on the cheap

Don't know about Sterling, but just a few hours north of there, here, kids are expected to show up each day with snow boots, snow (over)pants, gloves, hat, and a two layer coat each of which fastens/zips up separately. That is smart.

There are a ton of used clothing stores here: Value Village, Salvation Army, etc... and if you put out a call here to locate many of those in the Anchorage area you could outfit your kids in top notch style for cheap. I'm not talking ugly stuff; fine looking kids clothing is readily available for those that don't mind shopping used.

Then, come spring, the garage sales come out, which offer ever finer clothing at even lesser prices. Though you might have to travel to the big city (Anchorage) to partake in that, but it'd be worth your gas.

Good luck with your move!

For school the kids pretty much rely on the snow gear mentioned above for cold. Regular school clothes up here are exactly the same as down south though for "trendy" kids in Alaska expensive brands like Mountain Hardwear or The North Face will likely not be seen down south. We hosted a family from Tampa Fl a couple years ago and we got their daughter nice winter gear and she wore all he clothes she brought with her and fit in fine.

Whatever you get, make it light colors with reflective strips that can be seen in the dark days of winter!!!! They will leave when it is dark and return when it is dark.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    For school the kids pretty much rely on the snow gear mentioned above for cold. Regular school clothes up here are exactly the same as down south though for "trendy" kids in Alaska expensive brands like Mountain Hardwear or The North Face will likely not be seen down south. We hosted a family from Tampa Fl a couple years ago and we got their daughter nice winter gear and she wore all he clothes she brought with her and fit in fine.

North face is actually popular where we live. Everybody in my family has a North Face jacket including me. My wife has 2 of them as well as about 4 pair of Ugg's..She's says she is looking forward to wearing her Ugg's almost year round. She found some North Face down coats for the kids. I think we are going to get them and some Under Armour cold gear base layers for playing outside as well as show suits and boots.

What is a good brand of snow suits?

Quote Originally Posted by agoyne View Post
    What is a good brand of snow suits?
    We buy our kids' snow suits at garage sales and thrift stores, sometimes even a year before they're that size. We find that the best brands are the ones where there are no ripped out knees in the pants.

I wished I was going to have that option, but I'm not. I don't mind at all buying clothes from garage sales and my kids are happy to get them. By the time we get there, there probably won't be a used snow suit to be found because they will be using them.

I'm partial to Sierra Trading Post, when you get the additional 20 or 30% coupons you're buying clothing and gear for 60-70% off. The key is you have to shop there year round to keep an eye on good deals. Just like with adults, try to get them layers. The upside of having long johns and a fleece layer is you'll get year round use out of them, and insulated outer layer and you are good to go.

A couple things concerning keeping kids warm. They have a smaller core, so get cold much faster than adults. Not an issue going from a vehicle to school, but when spending several hours outside it's something to be concerned about. In addition to warm clothing, get a case of chemical handwarmers at Costco. It'a amazing how just having the hands warm extends their time being comfortable outside. Also kids are notorious for loosing hats and gloves, so don't buy expensive ones. It's much better to have 1/2 dozen pairs of gloves and hats for each kids so they'll have dry ones and replacements than 1 set of top of the line.

Kids generally outgrow winter gear before wearing it out, so it's best not to spend too much money on it if you can. The high end gear really doesn't seem to allow them to stay out longer in the cold. Having a good set of layers, handwarmers and a thermos of hot chocolate works wonders.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Don't know about Sterling, but just a few hours north of there, here, kids are expected to show up each day with snow boots, snow (over)pants, gloves, hat, and a two layer coat each of which fastens/zips up separately. That is smart.

Here in Anchortown, I head to work about the same time the high schoolers are gathering at their bus stops. None of them will have on the proper clothing for the weather. 5 F and snowing and I'll see kids in shorts, skirts with bare legs, only a light cotton hoodie sweatshirt, etc. All of them trying not to look cold though you can tell they are. I just shake my head and wonder how this country is going to make out when they get out in the work force.

Thanks for the advice Paul.

NRick, that's insane. I don't know if it's the kid's fault or the parents who let them do that.

Quote Originally Posted by agoyne View Post
    Thanks for the advice Paul.

NRick, that's insane. I don't know if it's the kid's fault or the parents who let them do that.
    Heck my high schoolers head out of the house wearing flip flops in the winter on their way to school. I blame my wife since she normally wears the same footwear all year long.

Grade schoolers are a different story they don't know when they are cold and it is very easy for them to get frostbite due to this.

Like Paul mentioned Sierra Trading Post and Campmor are great places to shop for winter clothing for kids and adults alike. We have had good luck with Columbia snow bibs and jackets for the kids but as they have gotten older they tend to like North Face. Aside from that some Sorrells or the like for foot gear for the little ones or older kids if they are driving far to school. A good hat or two, maybe a scarf if you get wind in your area, and some good gloves. I like the little ones to wear mittens since they do a much better job of keeping ones hands warm.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Heck my high schoolers head out of the house wearing flip flops in the winter on their way to school. I blame my wife since she normally wears the same footwear all year long.

Grade schoolers are a different story they don't know when they are cold and it is very easy for them to get frostbite due to this.

Like Paul mentioned Sierra Trading Post and Campmor are great places to shop for winter clothing for kids and adults alike. We have had good luck with Columbia snow bibs and jackets for the kids but as they have gotten older they tend to like North Face. Aside from that some Sorrells or the like for foot gear for the little ones or older kids if they are driving far to school. A good hat or two, maybe a scarf if you get wind in your area, and some good gloves. I like the little ones to wear mittens since they do a much better job of keeping ones hands warm.
    Taking it all in. Thanks bronco

Like has been said before, I wouldn't buy anything and then bring it up here. It costs more to move it, and your kids will get up here and then discover that all the other kids are wearing something different and you will be stuck buying new stuff anyhow.

If you are coming up here to work on the slope, and you guys are already wearing Northface, Uggs, and other name-brands it tells me you aren't exactly poor. Might just bring what you have and then take a trip to Anchorage to get what is in style for the ages of the kids you have.

Quote Originally Posted by SpotGrouse View Post
    Like has been said before, I wouldn't buy anything and then bring it up here. It costs more to move it, and your kids will get up here and then discover that all the other kids are wearing something different and you will be stuck buying new stuff anyhow.

If you are coming up here to work on the slope, and you guys are already wearing Northface, Uggs, and other name-brands it tells me you aren't exactly poor. Might just bring what you have and then take a trip to Anchorage to get what is in style for the ages of the kids you have.
    I work in Brazil. I am moving to AK because I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Not poor but not rich either. Just work for what I have like everybody else trying to make it in the world. I can't believe how expensive things are in AK from vehicles to houses. WOW

I work in Brazil. I am moving to AK because I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Not poor but not rich either. Just work for what I have like everybody else trying to make it in the world. I can't believe how expensive things are in AK from vehicles to houses. WOW
    It all depends on what a guy is willing to drive. I bought a 1986 Dodge Ram Charger for $300 and old 1970s Ford pickups that would cost $3k down in farm country can be had for $800-$1.5k. Housing, yeah, it's steep. Milk, way steep. Heads of lettuce, don't even go there lol.

But other things more than make up for it. Like I make more money here than my wife and made combined in the Deep South where I spent a number of years. We get to do Alaskan things other people only dream about.

I can only speak for the thrift stores out here in the Valley (I am a huge cheap skate). Long story short, not a lot of a chance in finding name brand stuff for sale in thrift stores here so if your family demands that sort of thing then my two cents is get here, gauge the fashions, and just buy it new or even mail order the stuff.