Thread: Wooldridge Xtra Plus IB info needed

Default Wooldridge Xtra Plus IB info needed

Hi all,
    Hopefully there are some Xtra plus IB drivers that can chime in.
    I am looking for information about how a wooly extra plus runs with the inboards. Both the 20s and the 18.5'. I am considering buying an 18.5 IB w 2 stage. How shallow do they run? Are they to heavy in the rear given a SBF and 2 stagehand only a 5' bottom width? Can I run two people hunting gear and a 100 total gallons in one, or will this be too heavy. How do they do in OB form compared to an Alaskan as the extras can take a bigger motor?
    Plan is for river running and maybe PWS on the blue bird days.

John

The Xtra Plus can be ordered with a 6 ft. bottom if that helps Also, I heard that Wooldridge is now making a new version of the xtra plus that comes standard with the 6 foot bottom and different gunnels. Both version would help to spread the weight out for an inboard set up as you mentioned.

Vsquared, I have owned two Wooldridge 18' classics, both were the old style three front windows low sides, both with 3-stages. One had 351W the other SBC and both were 5' bottoms. I have hauled 5 guys with compressor, ladders, nail guns, personal gear, food, beer for five days and full fuel, 25 miles up the Main Salmon in Idaho with out a problem. The boat with the SBC had more push but the ford burned less fuel. My son is still driving the chevy powered boat that is 33 years old same age as son. I think these boats have the same bottoms as the extra plus so performance should be close other than the 302 vs 351 and 2-stage vs 3- stage. I have driven several of the older Wooldridges with 302's and 2-stages and could hardly tell them from 351 and 3-stage. Good luck CJ

both will do two guys and a moose. I had a 17.5 alaskan that would do that. The 18 extra plus is bigger than that. I currently have the 20.5 with 351. I really like the bigger boat for bigger water such as Homer and out on the Su. I am taking it down the yukon so will be overloading it of course. Those are the two big differences in performance I would imaging, load hauling and comfort. The load hauling will of course be more with the 20, and it will be more comfortable for all involved for longer trips and ocean bay stuff. Neither is going to be your best bet for PWS. Both will run shallow and be a pig to get off a gravel bar. Are you thinking new or used?

Daved, rivercj and others,
    Thanks for the information. To clarify the boat is a used 18.5 Xtra with the 5' wide bottom. I would like the bigger boat also for larger water but worry about losing some of the nimbleness of the smaller boat. I also was looking at the 5' Xtra vs wider boats to be able to more easily fit in narrow channels. I just have to recognize I won't be able to put more than 2,000 useful load in the boat.
    My concern was being told by someone with a 20' Xtra that had it fitted with trim tabs etc, that it was very difficult to get on step for Koyokuk hunting trips. If the 5' bottom had been that much detriment I would stay away from it.
    Just like everyone else I wish you could have both. I just want to make sure it will haul what I want before going ahead with the project. I may even replace the SBF with an Aluminum 5.3 Chev to lighten it up a bit more and get a Fuel Injection system for economy to boot.
    Have to wait till later, to get something larger for a Koyokuk or Nowitna Run.

While I am a

Looks like you want to have your cake and eat it too.

A Truly nimble boat will be small and light yes. If small braids and sloughs are your targeted area, then this is the boat you want for sure and neither the xtraplus boat will fit that bill well. Little braids and sloughs mean you will be dry water boating, so you want something that you can haul off a gravel bar. The Wooldridge Alaskan or a john boat will do nicely.

If you want to haul a load and are worried about how shallow you can run, look no further than the sportjohnXLextremeSJX model of boats. They are quick out of the hole, run shallow and can take a load. Usually not as adept at taking bigger waves, but some may have a different opinion here. They are still heavy and suck to drag off a sand bar. They are quite popular and the price tag shows it.

There are a billion 17-20ft jet boats that look alot like the extra plus without the square bow (alumaweld, thunder jet, North River...) In my opinion, they are more comfortable to ride in, are nimble enough for most all situations that you should get yourself into and can haul a reasonable load, especially the 20ft class. They also suck to get off a sand bar. The big difference here is the price. You can find them used all up and down the west coast, including AK.

Soo... Where are you going to use your boat at that it needs to be super nimble??? I went that route with my Alaskan. I am sure I will miss it sometimes, but there were more times it was WAY overloaded with that little thing than times I was wizzing through someplace I should not be.

How much money are you willing to spend? You get what you pay for, usually. You can find good john boat set ups in the 10k class. The bigger 17-20ft boats 15-20k. The good running sport john stuff closer to 30k.

How likely are you going to go on a yukon trip? That kind of logistics really takes years to plan out. If you are seriously going on a big trip like that forget the little nimble idea and get enough boat now so it is dialed in by the time you are ready to go.

Or, Get two boats and sleep well on the couch.