Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paddle Patch Kids

Default Paddle Patch Kids

As many of you know, I specialize in trying to catch the absolute smallest halibut anyone has ever caught. But unfortunately I had to sorely disappoint my clients again today. We tried and tried and TRIED to catch the smallest fish we possibly could and we just kept catching bigger and bigger fish ending up with one that was 66" long and according to the chart in the tide book 148 lbs. I think that big one was eating all the "ping pong paddles" in my favorite "paddle patch" which obviously is why we couldn't catch any. We decided to keep it so anyone else that fishes there won't have the same problem we were having. I hate it when big fish like that just ruin a wonderful day out there.

And those other weird and ugly fish my clients told me are actually pretty good to eat, so I threw them into the fish box just to make them happy. The big ling under my arm was 30 lbs. and the other two fortunately weren't any bigger than that. And those yelloweyes were certainly bigger than I'm really comfortable catching.

Hank and Cathy wanted a "group" shot of me with all the fish that I forced them to keep and the smile on my face is definitely forced---I felt absolutely sick with disappointment. I'll just have to try a little harder tomorrow.
    me w all fish.jpghank and cathy w 148 pounder.jpg
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

You're a bad man. How dare you!! LOL I bet those really big fish taste just aweful!!! LOL Looks like fun man!

What a crappy day! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    As many of you know, I specialize in trying to catch the absolute smallest halibut anyone has ever caught. But unfortunately I had to sorely disappoint my clients again today. We tried and tried and TRIED to catch the smallest fish we possibly could and we just kept catching bigger and bigger fish ending up with one that was 66" long and according to the chart in the tide book 148 lbs. I think that big one was eating all the "ping pong paddles" in my favorite "paddle patch" which obviously is why we couldn't catch any. We decided to keep it so anyone else that fishes there won't have the same problem we were having. I hate it when big fish like that just ruin a wonderful day out there.

And those other weird and ugly fish my clients told me are actually pretty good to eat, so I threw them into the fish box just to make them happy. The big ling under my arm was 30 lbs. and the other two fortunately weren't any bigger than that. And those yelloweyes were certainly bigger than I'm really comfortable catching.

Hank and Cathy wanted a "group" shot of me with all the fish that I forced them to keep and the smile on my face is definitely forced---I felt absolutely sick with disappointment. I'll just have to try a little harder tomorrow.
    me w all fish.jpghank and cathy w 148 pounder.jpg
    You sure are a character. Clients must enjoy the show.LOL

I saw the big one hanging in the back of his boat as I was walking off the dock. Nice fish, it was good to meet you Mutley.

Today I got 3 paddles out by flat island, fileyed they were right at 14 lbs total, would have let the smallest go but my 6 year old caught it and he would not understand.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

No salmon around? That'd be a good day with limits of cohos and a few kings.

Must say Coho Dave is a nut and awesome guy to be around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Surfcaster Extraordinaire (Personal Records)
    Sand Shark 5'2" 68lbs
    Halibut 128lbs
    Musky 42" 18lbs

Man!!! I just don't know what to do now. We hit a few more of my favorite paddle patches today and, once again, I had to sorely disappoint my clients including one of my favorite fishing forum members, Swissy. We did catch one ping pong paddle, but wanted to try for something smaller, so tossed it back.

And, once again, we caught a LOT of those same really ugly fish (lings???) that we caught day before yesterday, and we decided to keep them rather than subject any unsuspecting fisherpeople to their unbearable ugliness.

And those funny looking "pumpkin fish" were so absolutely bizarre looking we decided to keep them, too. In fact, lo and behold, the big one was so big at 22.2 lbs. (weighed on the official Jackpot Halibut Derby certified scale) that it got Tim (see picture) an ADF&G Trophy Fish Certificate. Sorry, Tim (T-tt-t-timmay!!) I told you to just throw it back, but nooooooo, you just wouldn't listen to me. Now you'll have to find space on your wall for that silly certificate.

I guess my serious lack of experience in fishing the "paddle patches" I go to day after day after day is just shining through and I almost feel bad posting pictures illustrating my total lack of experience. And my total disdain for following the infinitely valuable advice of some of our more esteemed forum members just keeps me guessing on how it is I'll find my clients some much smaller fish. If someone would just give me a clue as to how you go about catching the small ones, I'd be infinitely in your debt. Guess I'll just have to give it my best shot again tomorrow!
    The catch for 8-7-12.jpgTims 22.2 lb yelloweye.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    No salmon around? That'd be a good day with limits of cohos and a few kings.
    I know!!! Can you imagine the mortification and utter embarrassment I feel for staying out there longer than any other charter operator trying to get those "ping pong paddles" they were expecting me to get and NOT giving them the option of getting home after 9pm after fishing for about 9 hours? (Tell me how many charter captains will leave the dock whenever his clients want to leave, and then only go home when THEY are satisfied with the fish they caught?) I should be doing piscatorial penance for that gaff.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I saw the big one hanging in the back of his boat as I was walking off the dock. Nice fish, it was good to meet you Mutley.

Today I got 3 paddles out by flat island, fileyed they were right at 14 lbs total, would have let the smallest go but my 6 year old caught it and he would not understand.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah, great to meet you, too! It's always nice being able to put a face with the boat and posts. Give me a shout on VHF 16 if you're out there and I'll let you know how we're doing.

So anyways.. no salmon around up in Homer? We run combo charters down here and have similar halibut scores on a daily basis, but limits cohos and a few kings tossed in too.

No, my dad's chainsaw is bigger.

So anyways.. no salmon around up in Homer? We run combo charters down here and have similar halibut scores on a daily basis, but limits cohos and a few kings tossed in too.
    Not when we ask specifically to target Lings and yelloweye and nothing else. (but we still got a number of nice butt's accidentally) Got enough salmon and halibut already. And having him happy to stay out till late enough to get my wife cranky was another bonus...
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

I'd rather fish on a charter where I feel like family and catch no fish than to catch to ocean and feel like I need to jump overboard. Dave and penny from muttley crew are that family/friendly type of charter. And he will have you on fish non stop. Quit your *****in and keep the negative **** to your selfs.

Sand Shark 5'2" 68lbs
    Halibut 128lbs
    Musky 42" 18lbs

ArmyFishBoy,
    Sorry, I was not referring to you, but meant to say that I 100% agree with your post. I was referencing those who are constantly taunting Dave to post their pictures of their catch of the day. They insinuate that he is not doing good enough; well, how are they doing? It really seems like Dave runs a great operation from what I have seen and heard.

Sand Shark 5'2" 68lbs
    Halibut 128lbs
    Musky 42" 18lbs

Ok sorry I took it towards me. Anyways I found a couple pics from my wife's Facebook page.

Sand Shark 5'2" 68lbs
    Halibut 128lbs
    Musky 42" 18lbs

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344547472.004387.jpg

My wife caught this skate. Boy was she tired as **** after being it up

Sand Shark 5'2" 68lbs
    Halibut 128lbs
    Musky 42" 18lbs

I have seen 270ti post a few pics on here in the past and it does indeed appear, at least to me, that he knows what he is doing.
    It also appears to me that he doesn't come on here to bragg about his success either. Nor does he use the PM function of this website to drum up customers from anybody here who asks about Halibut/saltwater salmon fishing.
    I haven't seen him argue with people that his port of call is the best one ever though he has mentioned the good fishing there.
    Some of the best hunter/fishermen I have ever met in my life never do seem to brag all that much.
    Many of the average joe fishermen hunters/fishermen I have met will talk on end and show everyone the picture of the one big Moose they shot or big fish they caught.
    I believe Mac Davis had a song that said "Oh lord it's hard to be Humble....."
    Sounds to me like 270ti is just being humble. =edited=.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 08-11-2012 at 23:31. Reason: personal comments
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

There's nothing wrong with me proud of your operation. You will notice no one ever has anything bad to say about his operation after they have chartered with him. I enjoy reading his post and many others do also. So if you don't like his post don't read them. Sounds like jealousy to me but could be wrong idk.

Sand Shark 5'2" 68lbs
    Halibut 128lbs
    Musky 42" 18lbs

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    And that Muttley just likes attention.
    Sounds like a sound business plan to me. Any successful business owner I know loves attention. The difference between Muttley and other charters is that the other guys show photos of their ten best days ever (implying this is the norm) and then clients expect that and are inevitably disappointed. Muttley posts current photos of what he is catching and how he operates. There are not always 100 pound fish in his photos, yet he still posts them. Happy customers regularly affirm their experience on the forum.
    You are imply that sending a PM to someone looking for a saltwater charter on here is unethical or against the rules. If it's against the rules, and you've gathered enough evidence to know he send PM's to potential customers, then report him! If you think it's just unethical, then you are entitled to your own opinion.
    It's just ironic that we can't say anything about a bad experience with a business on the forum, but can hurl unfounded accusations and insults at a business owner about his business with no repercussions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast