Thread: First dry trails of spring?

Question First dry trails of spring?

I am itchin' to get out on my bike, but I don't want to be that guy that leaves ruts in the soft trails. So, where do you guys ride in the spring? I figure that the trail/road along Eklutna Lake will be rideable soon, but I'm also up for other ideas. I could ride the pavement, but I'd way rather be on dirt. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I am itchin' to get out on my bike, but I don't want to be that guy that leaves ruts in the soft trails. So, where do you guys ride in the spring? I figure that the trail/road along Eklutna Lake will be rideable soon, but I'm also up for other ideas. I could ride the pavement, but I'd way rather be on dirt. Any ideas?
    The old highway by Girdwood should be do-able real soon, if it isn't already. Haven't been up there in years, but it gets a lot of direct sunlight this time of year and the trail is good. View isn't too shabby either.

Maybe Gull Rock out of Hope?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Gull rock might be a good idea...maybe mid-May? As for the old highway, it's a nice ride...but man, I am just dying to get onto some dirt.

It seems like it's sometimes into June before the trails really dry out.

That reminds me though, I could get into shape for riding my bike to work by hitting the trails with my mountain bike.

No way I'm taking my road bike out until the gravel get's swept off the roads, I'm too old for road rash.

Default early trails

i've seen plenty of roadies on the old highway, so it must be good enough.

It seems that the valley dried up a little earlier than anchorage this year. any word from fellow riders in the valley on rideable trails?

Default Arctic Valley Road

Ran up Arctic Valley road last night. Road is dry except for a few snowmelt rivulets, and the last 1/4 mile before the lodge is a bit soft. Make sure you have enough meat on your break pads for the descent. I'll probably be up there on my bike before the end of the week. Awesome thigh training without the pounding of running down.

CW

I'd thought the trails around the Cambell airstrip would be in shape for biking sooner then later, but it looks more like later than sooner. The trails are still well and goodly covered with snow and I wouldn't be suprised to see that snow well into May.

I saw a few folks riding their bikes from Eagle River to Anchortown this morning, but I'll wait a few weeks until the gravel is gone.

I would try some of the valley trails. Kepler lakes or something. Kincaid will have driest trails in town and not soft so no ruts.
    Gull rock does not clear up till late as it gets very little sun in the day.

No what I did and jump your bike off snow berms! Good times good times.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

The bike path is finally swept all the way to Muldoon from Highland.Been riding it for two weeks now.

I guess I no longer have an excuse for not riding to work.