Thread: Our new canoe (pics)

Default Our new canoe (pics)

got this for the local lakes and easy rivers (willow And Such) I have a pontoon boat but thought this would be cool cause its portable, any mod suggestions and places to go would be appreciated.
    "f/64 and be there"

"f/64 and be there"

A yoke would be my only addition.

http://dri-kiwoodworking.com/id2.html

[QUOTE=mainer_in_ak;1155247]A yoke would be my only addition.

It looks like a nice size to do some exploring. I do have a question for Mainer about the yoke. I have never paddles such a short canoe and I wonder about the positioning of a yoke with legs extended (as the seat is low slung) in the event of a capsize. It just seems a little cramped to me, but he knows much more than I do about canoes, and obviously one would allow for easier transport.
    Have fun with it.
    BEE

REI sells (or did at one time) a virtually universal carry yoke that used a threaded bracked and thumb screw to clamp to the yoke over and under the gunwales. You'd have to remove it every time you got back in =( but at least it wouldn't be over your knees while you wer paddling.

That particular canoe is probably light and short enough that one could simple drag it behind himself as one does with a kayak.

I used to have an old town Pack canoe. It weighed 33#. I just put some some grey pipe insulation over one of the gunwales and rested it on my shoulder for portaging. Check out Piragis.com they are out of Ely,MN and have alot of cool canoe accesories. One thing I got is a stowaway pouch that fits under my seat. Keeps stuff within reach and off the floor.

If you don't have many portages to make the removeable wooden yoke with clamps works fine.

But if you find yourself portaging a lot between lakes on my Old Town Pack (12 foot) I made a removeable yoke of square aluminum tubing that fits inside some u-shaped oar locks I installed on top of my external frame pack. This accomplishes two things for me...I can transfer most of the weight to my hips now instead of my shoulders and it frees my hands up to use hiking poles.

028.jpg031.jpg

Now that is a neat idea!!! And the rope is tied to the pack belt for balance?

I have a Native Watercraft Ultimate 12 that I love and that would work really well on there. Thanks for the idea!!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Yes the rope attaches to your pack belt for balance, I use a metal clip to speed things up. I position and bungie the paddles in the canoe to get the right feel for just a small pull backwards which keeps vision good and then the rope keeps it from tipping back any further. I'm very pleased with doing it this way. The easy way to get the canoe overhead for a portage is to rest/pivot the bow end on the ground and lift the stern end up and then place the yoke in the oar locks.

That really sounds easy enough and you have your pack to haul life jacket, lunch and other stuff for the trip.I always seem to need to make 2 or 3 trips to get all the junk from the truck to the water. It seems that this idea will allow me to just flip the boat over in the truck bed and slide it back until I can place the cross bar in the yoke then just set it down at the edge of the water and flip in upright. I gotta try this idea. Thanks again!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Get one of those adhesive backed kayak foam seat pads, put it on the hard plastic bottom seat...

here are the mods so far
    seat back off and i use a lounge lizard- much better
    drink holder
    foot pegs- really helps with more points of contact
    removable yoke
    rod holder
    and changed the pitch of the seat
    "f/64 and be there"