Thread: Weight restrictions?

Default Weight restrictions?

I was standing in line at the local walmart and was chit chatting with an older gentleman about hunting. Talked about hunting in unit 13. He told me that there was a 1000 # weight restriction on the motorized side by the Maclaren River and Clearwater area. I have looked and I might not have looked in the right spots.

I will talk to F&G later in the week, but thought I would ask here first.

Thanks in advance,

Betty

I have never heard of any weight restrictions in Unit 13. With all the big buggys running around that area it would seem not possible. I have talked with troopers while in 13 on my Polaris ranger, that weighs just over 1000# and they never mentioned it.

You might also check BLM. There are both BLM managed and non-managed trails in 13 as well as the trails through the Archaelogical District which have additional restrictions. The improved/hardened trails may have weight restrictions due to the construction of the geomat.

Most state weight restricted state trails with similar hardening have a 1500lb limit.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

The reason for asking is I use a Rhino for the boy child and I. Riding a regular wheeler with a 60# 5 year old beating the heck out of your face with a helmet sucks. Thank you for your reply.

There are areas with weight restrictions. Not sure about 13 but I do know that with a weight restriction, the weight of your vehicle isnt all thats considered. If your vehicle weighs 800 pounds and is "rated" to haul 250 pounds and your in a 1000 pound restricted area, you are over weight and can be tiketed. Even if you dont have 250 pounds loaded. Talk with ADF&G as well as NFWS to ensure you are good. Alot of the weight restrictions come from federal rules. I heard a story from a credibal person who saw a FWS officer turn away one of the AST Wildlife guys on a six wheeler and threaten him with a ticket because of a federal weight restriction in a certain area. Better to be safe than sorry!!