Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Blueberries yet?

Default Any Blueberries yet?

Anyone seeing any signs of blueberries yet? Alyeska Blueberry Festival next weekend and wondering if it is worth making the trip down....

Quote Originally Posted by speedy View Post
    Anyone seeing any signs of blueberries yet? Alyeska Blueberry Festival next weekend and wondering if it is worth making the trip down....
    Don't know about Alyeska, I Went out to the cabin on the yentna, above Yentna Station. Saw lots of blueberries between the river and the cabin, along my trail. Looks to be a good year for them out there anyway. I don't recall seeing them turn blue this early before, but they are for the most part. Still a little too tart tasting tho!

We just encountered GOBS of ripe blueberries out in the North Foothills of the Alaska Range; spooked a larger black bear off the stash, and proceeded to consume the berries... Candy from a baby. ;^>)

They were still fairly strongly flavored, and would likely benefit from a light frost to increase the sugar content. The way the summer's been going, that's likely not too awful far off now, unless we revert back to the 'one warm month, one cold month' schedule that the whole year seems to have been following, going all the way back to last November or so..

We picked a gallon and a half last week on the southern part of the Peninsula. Still a lot of unripe berries though.
    Not sure about Alyeska either. But the odds are good you will find some ripe ones.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I got lots of Rasberries and Blueberries.

In western Alaska our blueberries are blue but still sour. I've heard the coast ripens slower than the interior, so perhaps some places are finding great amounts right now- which means here in a week or two everywhere else should be baking fresh berry pies as well. Needless to say I'm extremely excited. We have amazing cloudberries that the kids and I are making a severe effort to make our sole diet right now, and blueberries are next on the list.
    Lone Alaskan Gypsy
    Lover of arctic fox and northern lights.
    Reader of arctic runes. Alaskan storyteller. Handcrafted trinket trader. Grower of organic plants.
    Find me online at www.lonealaskangypsy.com and at fairs, markets, and festivals around AK.

I heard there were blueberries out around big lake not sure where at anyone have any info?

Searched several locations [elevations] over Independance Mine/Hatcher Pass this weekend. Most areas including above treeline [but not above "brush" line] were void of berries. The few berries we did see were still GREEN.

I was up in the interior last week and the berries up the Elliot highway are in full swing. Especially near Manley and the Tanana River.

The berries are out in places along the Denali Highway. We've had folks picking them around us the last week or so. There are still many green ones and such, but another week should be excellent.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344289048.009203.jpg

Just checked out the patch on the "upper 40" looks like good pollination they're delicious but waiting for them to sweeten up a bit more a few still purple not blue.

Usually a week after the currants are red the blues peak and only today are the currants ripe.

We picked over 40 lbs this week. From a patch I have been passing every day for years and years and only this year I decided to check. It looks like a blueberry plantation.

Quote Originally Posted by willowite View Post
    We picked over 40 lbs this week. From a patch I have been passing every day for years and years and only this year I decided to check. It looks like a blueberry plantation.
    Awesome! Wife/kids went yesterday and basically struck out. In general (not looking for secret spot) where r u finding ripe ones?
    They went into chugach where we always get them and no ripe ones. Headed to hatchers next.

Oh My ~ what a find...excellent picture to get me ready to go pick!
    These don't look like the plants I've seen where we go. The ones I find are lower to the ground and berries are normally much smaller.
    I did see more wild raspberries than I can ever remember while hunting birds yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344289048.009203.jpg

Just checked out the patch on the "upper 40" looks like good pollination they're delicious but waiting for them to sweeten up a bit more a few still purple not blue.

Usually a week after the currants are red the blues peak and only today are the currants ripe.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    Oh My ~ what a find...excellent picture to get me ready to go pick!
    These don't look like the plants I've seen where we go. The ones I find are lower to the ground and berries are normally much smaller.
    I did see more wild raspberries than I can ever remember while hunting birds yesterday.
    The species in that picture are called early blueberries or blue huckleberries. They are a highbush variety of blueberry typically found in PWS and areas like Seldovia.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Me and my woman been out twice and headed out for a third as soon as she gets home,

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    Awesome! Wife/kids went yesterday and basically struck out. In general (not looking for secret spot) where r u finding ripe ones?
    They went into chugach where we always get them and no ripe ones. Headed to hatchers next.
    I would try Hatcher Pass. I find huckleberries that taste pretty good in mature birch/white spruce forest. I recall seeing tons of blueberry flowers on the trail at Eklutna Lake. That's close to your place.

Thanks very much. I'll pass the info on.

I found a decent amount out around Big Lake in some of the open marshland areas. Picked about a quart in an hour, when you found a plant with berries on it they were loaded, however a lot of the plants had no fruit at all. All in all was not a bad way to spend a lunch hour may have enough for a pie.

I've been doing very well in swamps in the Willow area since the 10th. Went out with my bow looking for moose one morning, and ran a medium grizzly out of the patch. He was eating quite well!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast