Thread: What knife for fleshing cape

Default What knife for fleshing cape

Heading North for Caribou in a couple weeks and I'm trying to make sure I have everything for meat and trophy care. Curious what kind of knife is best for fleshing the cape and hide . I'm also going after Brown Bear in the spring so might need it for that too.

Thanks much

Lots of good options, so whatever you're comfortable with -- everyone has their favorites.

I use #22 scalpel blades for most of the detailed work (D&E in photo), and a larger curved-blade hunting knife for larger areas of the hide (H&I in photo). Some folks like Havalon-style knives for detailed work (similar to scalpels).

TOOLS1.jpg

Talk to whatever taxidermist you plan to use before you head afield for his/her specific recommendations on additional field care/caping preferences.

Best of luck in the field!

Does that Ulu work good for fleshing?

The ulu works very well for fleshing. I use them all the time for that purpose. If you can lay the hide over a slightly convex surface and work a small area at a time it's helpful. Use it in an almost "flat" angle on the hide and let the natural curve of the blade gently work to advantage by using an arcing, slicing motion cutting away from you. You'll need to touch up the blade occasionally with a small steel or diamond sharpener. The cheap "tourist-grade" ulus work just fine.

The photos show a late-season bear hide, but the principle is the same for caribou.

excess fat 1.jpgremoving fat.jpg

a small victorinox works nice and they are cheap.