Thread: 338 Win Mag Accubond vs Partition and 250 gr vs 210 gr bullet for Moose inland bear

Smile 338 Win Mag Accubond vs Partition and 250 gr vs 210 gr bullet for Moose inland bear

I'm a Nosler guy (have been for 40 yrs). What bullet do you prefer for larger Alaskan game including moose, black bear or grizzly......excluding coastal browns?

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

All the above.

Any of them would be great, but my rifle always gets the last word on what it likes best.

For me it depends on the distance I expect to shoot. I have a 9.3x62 and I have loads with both the Partition and the Accubond. If I think I'm going to be 200 yards or less I'll take the Partition. For shots longer than that I'll take the Acccubond load.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

I have for years loaded and used 225grn Partitions almost exclusively, I have used and still load 225grn Hornady Spire Point Interlocks (they shoot to the same POI as the 225grn Partitions) and have used 250grn Partitions. Hands down the 225grn partitions get the nod and have performed perfectly on moose and caribou.

As for the Accubond, I have no experience with them, nor do I see a need for them. The average range on big game in AK is less than 200 yards and a BT bullet is academic at such ranges, actually I see little advantage of a BT bullet out to 400-500yds.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of those choices at .338WM velocities. I have a rifle with a real affinity for the Accubond and it's performed perfectly on critters to date. I've also killed a bunch of critters with the Partition with great results in the past.

Out to practical ranges that boat tail on the AB isn't even a factor so whichever your rifle likes best. Don't overlook the 180AB either as a possibility...several of my acquaintances are using it great results.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Pretty much what has been said. Your rifle will have an affinity for a particular combination more than others. The 338WM is robust enough to handle most things that walk around on the planet. So, for interior Alaska, the bullet weight isn't really as important as what is going to shoot well for you. (They are both good bullets) Shooting the lighter weight bullets will be easier on YOU. Which might help you spend more time on the trigger at the range getting to really know it.

I spent the morning finalizing my load for the 338 project I just completed. It was down to either the 210 TTSX or the 225NAB both over IMR 4350. I'd shot some ladders with them at 400 and 600 yards, and both seemed promising. However, when i started shooting groups, the TTSX really started to shine. It was just what my rifle wanted. Pick what shoots well for you and roll with it. You'll be fine either way.

Too much focus on what "shoots best" in a hunting rifle. Honestly, If I had a 250 grain partition that printed groups .25" larger than a smaller bullet, I'd still go for the partition. With all that powder capacity and power, the 338 Win Mag is always commonly associated with a 250 grain bullet. Aint much difference between 1" groups and 3/4" groups with a hunting rifle IMO. Over the years, I've CHOSEN the bullet I wanted to hunt with, never blowing through a bunch of different combos to find the most "accurate". In every single case, the accuracy in every rifle was acceptable enough with the bullet I chose. Only one instant that I can remember where this wasn't the case, where a 200 grain accubond wouldn't stabilize in a 308, and went with the 200 grain partition instead.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Too much focus on what "shoots best" in a hunting rifle. Honestly, If I had a 250 grain partition that printed groups .25" larger than a smaller bullet, I'd still go for the partition. With all that powder capacity and power, the 338 Win Mag is always commonly associated with a 250 grain bullet. Aint much difference between 1" groups and 3/4" groups with a hunting rifle IMO. Over the years, I've CHOSEN the bullet I wanted to hunt with, never blowing through a bunch of different combos to find the most "accurate". In every single case, the accuracy in every rifle was acceptable enough with the bullet I chose. Only one instant that I can remember where this wasn't the case, where a 200 grain accubond wouldn't stabilize in a 308, and went the the 200 grain partition instead.
    Very good points.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    I have for years loaded and used 225grn Partitions almost exclusively, I have used and still load 225grn Hornady Spire Point Interlocks (they shoot to the same POI as the 225grn Partitions) and have used 250grn Partitions. Hands down the 225grn partitions get the nod and have performed perfectly on moose and caribou
    DITTO +1, I've only used 30 cal NAB bullets on medium sized game worked fine but on medium sized game so does Rem CorLokt.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !