Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Requirement to show hunting license in the field?

Default Requirement to show hunting license in the field?

Are you required when asked to show hunting liscense in the field when asked? Or does the F&G officer have to have a postive response to the question of are you hunting before you are required to show hunting liscense.

You are required to show it
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    You are required to show it
    I respectfully disagree. If one is not HUNTING, one should not have to show a license. One may be carrying for bear protection. Or target shooting. Or walking to your buddy's cabin to show him your new firearm. In fact, maybe the one carrying , for a myriad of legit reasons, may not even HAVE a hunting license. How u gonna show it if u ain't got one?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Seems pretty simple. If you ain't huntin' and the guy comes up and says lemme see ur huntin' license, then you aint' gots ta showz it.

Now, if you are hunting or might be hunting, then you do have to have your license and produce it upon request.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

If you are ask and you are hunting or you “SAY” you are hunting, yes you need to show your hunting license. No difference from driving a car.

Look up the legal definition of hunting 16.05.940 (20), (33), if you are “NOT” doing any of those thing then you are not hunting and do not need to show your hunting license. Going hunting, or looking at animals is not hunting, being in a hunting camp is not hunting, per the regulations.

The last time I was ask I was on a ATV, with my rifle looking for caribou. My response was “EVENTUALLY. He laugh because he knew I did not say I was, or was not. If he then ask for identification I would have show him only my driver license.

I realize they have a hard job and I'm not trying to give them a hard time. The problem is if you say you are hunting and you are not it can open up all kinds of problems for you.

I realize they have a hard job and I'm not trying to give them a hard time. The problem is if you say you are hunting and you are not it can open up all kinds of problems for you. UNQUOTE....... Well said, as that was my thinking also.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Every time I've been asked for a license I was clearly involved in hunting/fishing activities. The Trooper checked my license and chit chatted about whatever I'd seen, reported what he'd seen/heard, checked the tag for whatever I'd harvested and went on about his merry way.

Being obtuse about whether you're actually hunting or not is likely not going to set the tone well for the rest of your interaction. If you're not hunting, a simple response of "I'm not hunting today" will likely suffice, if you have a hunting license with you, you might want to ask if they want to see it anyway since you've already asserted you're not hunting. If you're decked in camo, equipped with game bags, a loaded rifle and are glassing for critters you will probably be questioned at length about the degree you're "not hunting today."

Of the LEOs I've dealt with the F&G Troopers are among the most polite and professional I've run across. They have a difficult job and often deal with some folks who are regular old lying poachers. I'd rather simplify my interaction with them by satisfying their curiosity and letting them move on to catching other folks breaking the law.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

From the 2012-2013 hunting regs:

"If an Alaska Wildlife Trooper, Alaska State Trooper, police officer, or authorized Department of Fish and Game(ADF&G) employee asks to see your license, tags, harvest tickets, permits, game, or any equipment used to take game, you must show any or all of these items."

Now to reconcile that with the question: "Are you hunting?..."
    "Your papers are not in order"

Default AWT Reply to this question

I asked this question almost a year ago, this is the response, draw your own conclusions...............

I dont think you should have to show a license unless it is obvious you are actively engaged in the pursuit of game, or there are dead critters laying at your feet. Just because you are walking around in the woods does not mean you are hunting, and even if you are, the license is really only meaningful when you pull the trigger. IMO not AWT opinion.

Originally Posted by Akgramps"AWT,
    When am I required to show my hunting license?
    I asked this last week but suspect I did not recieve a answer due to your "No what if policy".
    I was trying to be polite and not be specific about a location or person.

In any case I was at the Salcha boat landing over Labor day weekend, not hunting but took my rifle just because I dont go in the woods w/o a firearm.
    We were returning from a overnight trip and were asked to show a license. The offical was pleasant and polite, but overdressed in tac gear and vests for a day at the Salcha boat ramp.......IMO.

Am I required to show my hunting license if requested by a F&G or Wildlife Trooper?

There was no game in the boat, does it matter if the gun is cased or loaded?
    Thank You"

Originally Posted by Alaska Wildlife TroopersSir,
    I am responding to your question below. In general, our Alaska Wildlife Troopers are required to be dressed in uniform and wear bullet proof vests whenever contacting the public. As for your question specifically, I can refer you to Alaska Administrative Code 5 AAC 92.012(b) which states:

"Upon request from an employee of the department or a peace officer of the state, a person may not refuse to present for inspection any license, harvest ticket, permit or tag, any game, or any apparatus designed to be and capable of being used to take game".

It does not matter if your gun is loaded, in the case or on your person. Thank you for letting us know that your contact was pleasant and the Trooper was polite. We appreciate positive feedback from the citizens of Alaska.

If you have further questions, please contact your local office of AWT.
    AWT"

My reply
    Originally Posted by AkgrampsAWT,
    Thanks for the reply, as a hunter I would be purchasing a license as I have every year, In this case I had the license with my gear so it was available. However I was not intending to hunt and could have just as easily left it at home, if so, would I have been fined?

Do I need to purchase a license to travel on the river system with a firearm (rifle) during hunting season?
    Thanks, Akgramps"

AWT REPLY,
    Originally Posted by Alaska Wildlife TroopersYou only need to purchase a hunting license if you engage in hunting, taking or attempting to take game.
    AWT"

My Reply,
    Originally Posted by AkgrampsAWT, once again thanks for the reply, to clarify I was not required to show my license at the Slacha boat landing if I was not hunting as stated earlier?"

AWT REPLY,
    Originally Posted by Alaska Wildlife Troopers"Upon request from an employee of the department or a peace officer of the state, a person may not refuse to present for inspection any license, harvest ticket, permit or tag, any game, or any apparatus designed to be and capable of being used to take game".

You are still required to show the license if you have one. You only need to purchase a license if you engage in Hunting. So if you don't have a hunting license and you are not engaged in hunting, you can still have a gun for protection. If you buy a hunting license at the beginning of the year and you are asked to present it, you must present that licence."

MY reply,
    Originally Posted by AkgrampsAWT,
    Once again thanks for the reply, can you provide the actual statute that states someone that is not hunting is required to carry a hunting license?
    I am sorry but this makes no sense to me what so ever, I would not typically carry a license if I was not planning to hunt."

"AWT REPLY,
    Good morning,

The regulation is the one quoted earlier in this post. 5 AAC 92.012(b). What the regulation says is that if requested you must present your hunting license. If you don't have one, you are obviously not required to present it. You can imagine the problem we would have trying to check hunting licenses if everyone said that they were not hunting and therefore did not need to present the license. I understand that you were not hunting on that trip. When we make contact with someone in the feild, we have no way of knowing what their plans are until we talk to them. As you can imagine, some people don't always tell us the truth. Thanks for inquiring. AWT"

Personally, I think attitudes are important, when a AWT hangs at a boat landing, it seems to be it would be apropriate to ask "potential hunters", say it looks like you are going hunting, do you have the proper tags and make sure you have your license.
    When they return with dead animals in the boat, that would be a reasonable time to ask to see the license. If the boat is empty, what diffrence does it make?
    And asking to see the license when someone is leaving a landing is a bit presumptious....IMO, what diffrence does it make if someone is getting in a boat with a gun?
    Rememeber, we the people are supposed to make and approve laws, and freedoms are given up slowly, one step at a time, it never happens all at once. Think for yourself.................

“Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

More and more law enforcement treats citizens as guilty until proven innocent. A sad time for our country.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Of the LEOs I've dealt with the F&G Troopers are among the most polite and professional I've run across. They have a difficult job and often deal with some folks who are regular old lying poachers. I'd rather simplify my interaction with them by satisfying their curiosity and letting them move on to catching other folks breaking the law.
    Same here. If you've got nothing to hide, why act like you do?
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

If I am asked to show my liscense, and I have it on me, then I have no problem showing it. I always carry my liscence with me while hunting. If I am not hunting, then it is possible that I didn't bring my liscence. If I am asked to show it, then it is pretty easy to tell them, I am not hunting, therefore I did not bring it along. Some guys choose to be difficult, some don't.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    If I am asked to show my liscense, and I have it on me, then I have no problem showing it. I always carry my liscence with me while hunting. If I am not hunting, then it is possible that I didn't bring my liscence. If I am asked to show it, then it is pretty easy to tell them, I am not hunting, therefore I did not bring it along. Some guys choose to be difficult, some don't.
    This is exactly how I feel. It isn't that hard to take it out and show them.
    I think you will get hassled less and catch less grief from leo's if you just comply and show them your license.
    Those who refuse or get defensive raise suspicion IMO. I would rather jus show it to them and be on my way then get hassled or have them check my truck,boat,etc. for evidence I was indeed hunting.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I guess that I do not see what the issues is! If there is a season open where I am 'out and about' and the proper game shows up then I will do my best to take it, period. There fore, if asked I will show my hunting license. We spend a lot of time in Unit 13 and there is most always some season that is open, and we do have weapons. Also lots of time we also carry fishing poles with us, in case we find a good looking spot to fish.
    I have nothing to hide and will do my best not to offend the F&G troopers.

Default Choose your side

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    I guess that I do not see what the issues is!
    I have nothing to hide and will do my best not to offend the F&G troopers.
    +1. Agreed. Why is this so hard? They have a tough enough job to do without the good guys being agin'm, in addition to the bad guys. Geez.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    +1. Agreed. Why is this so hard? They have a tough enough job to do without the good guys being agin'm, in addition to the bad guys. Geez.
    I dont think this is about choosing sides, sometimes officals make it tougher by how they approach people, (ask Jim Wilde about that). What happened to the innocent until proven guilty part? If someone is obvious hunting and a LEO wants to check them, then I understand, but if they are not obviously hunting/fishing then why ask....?
    Just so they can ID someone? Personally I am not ready for that kind of compliance.....................
    TR

Default grey area, re: compliance with unecessary LEO request

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I dont think this is about choosing sides, sometimes officals make it tougher by how they approach people, (ask Jim Wilde about that). What happened to the innocent until proven guilty part? If someone is obvious hunting and a LEO wants to check them, then I understand, but if they are not obviously hunting/fishing then why ask....?
    Just so they can ID someone? Personally I am not ready for that kind of compliance.....................
    I do see your point. Sometimes I too dig in my heels in the name of civil liberties. For example, if that same LEO wanted to search me or mine, to make sure I didn't have a full auto (illegal to hunt with) gun, I'd say hell no and show'm the door, & call his supervisor if he wasn't happy about it.

But a license check? I was told one time (don't know if its so) that LEOs need to count their public contacts each day and report them, as a way for a supervisor to know they didn't sit in the doughnut shop every day. I'll let one of those contacts be me, no problem, and I have before (which PO'd a partner of mine a few years back, but that's another story).

So I do understand where you're coming from on this. I just don't quite agree.

I think the answer is pretty clear and your just asking for a problem by avoiding showing your license for what ever reason.

I went out to Willow Creek this spring with my son and brother-in-law. First trip out for the year and I forgot my license on the fridge. I realized this when I got to Willow so I told my son that we would continue with our plans and I'd work with him on his fly casting. I dressed out, left my pole in the truck and headed to the river. A short while later I was approached by a trooper in a casual manner. We discussed fishing, the weather ect. for a while and he eventually asked to see my license as I was dressed accordingly for the activity. I politely informed him that I wasn't fishing and that I had left my license on the fridge so I was just working with my son and his casting. His reply was that I could still fish if I chose since it could be proven that I had a license previous to that day. I thanked him for the offer but politely passed as I didn't need any issues. Bottom line is I stated it as it was, we discussed it and there were no issues. He had no reason to do anything other than what he did, nor did I. I don't see what the big deal is with being honest and letting each of you move on with your day.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I do see your point. Sometimes I too dig in my heels in the name of civil liberties. For example, if that same LEO wanted to search me or mine, to make sure I didn't have a full auto (illegal to hunt with) gun, I'd say hell no and show'm the door, & call his supervisor if he wasn't happy about it.

But a license check? I was told one time (don't know if its so) that LEOs need to count their public contacts each day and report them, as a way for a supervisor to know they didn't sit in the doughnut shop every day. I'll let one of those contacts be me, no problem, and I have before (which PO'd a partner of mine a few years back, but that's another story).

So I do understand where you're coming from on this. I just don't quite agree.
    Thats ok, I am not very agreeable at times either...........I think that some LEOS forget they are public servants and paid by the public to help and protect, preserve the peace and all that, if they dont possess the fortitude to remain professional and to uphold what they have sworn to do, then maybe they should choose another line of work........

No of course its not a EZ job, but why choose that line of work unless you get some satisfaction out of preforming it well..........and I dont consider intimidation to be part of the job.............
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    I think the answer is pretty clear and your just asking for a problem by avoiding showing your license for what ever reason.

I went out to Willow Creek this spring with my son and brother-in-law. First trip out for the year and I forgot my license on the fridge. I realized this when I got to Willow so I told my son that we would continue with our plans and I'd work with him on his fly casting. I dressed out, left my pole in the truck and headed to the river. A short while later I was approached by a trooper in a casual manner. We discussed fishing, the weather ect. for a while and he eventually asked to see my license as I was dressed accordingly for the activity. I politely informed him that I wasn't fishing and that I had left my license on the fridge so I was just working with my son and his casting. His reply was that I could still fish if I chose since it could be proven that I had a license previous to that day. I thanked him for the offer but politely passed as I didn't need any issues. Bottom line is I stated it as it was, we discussed it and there were no issues. He had no reason to do anything other than what he did, nor did I. I don't see what the big deal is with being honest and letting each of you move on with your day.
    Good post, and your experience certainly it was all positive, for both sides, as it should be when folks are honest.........attitudes go a long way to preventing and defuseing a situation........
    I dont want to sound like a anti-leo, I just believe in my rights and dont like intimidation tactics............
    TR

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast