Thread: Delta Sheep Ram

Default Delta Sheep Ram

What do you guys think, should I go after him friday? He is broomed on this side and still close if not full curl. Right side was definetly full curl. I tried to get a picture of the right side but failed. It was hard to get good shots with an Iphone thru a spotting scope. This is the only one that really turned out some what good. Spotted a lot of sheep today. It really got me pumped up for the opener!

Sheep 2012 02.jpg

I'd love to have the Delta tag. As for whether I'd take a sheep like this one on opening day, I suppose I'd have to consider my priorities. Honestly, I'm pretty solidly in the "any legal ram is a trophy ram" camp, but with a coveted tag I might get a bit choosy. I like character, though, and having one broomed horn and another that is solidly full is pretty cool to me. How much time do you have? Are you mostly restricted to weekends, or do you have 10 days to hunt? Also, how accessible is this ram? If he's close to the road and will likely be targeted by another hunter, that changes things. If he's back a ways, maybe you can keep him as option #2. If I saw one like this next Friday on my hunt, I'd definitely take him. If I were in DCUA with 5 days to hunt, well....maybe.

I'd give him two more years...but like Brian said he'd probably get whacked, i think personally you can get better in that area.......so personally, I'd let him walk.

[QUOTE=Brian M;1155017] "any legal ram is a trophy ram" [QUOTE]

Brian had a lot of good questions to consider and the answer to those may decide for you on that ram.

You going solo?

If you've got a significat window to hunt and you see this guy again I'd take another long look at him. You may want to look at some other sheep, but keep an eye on this guy for "plan B". that is a bit risky though, considering you may not see another legal ram or another hunter may send the heat and you won't see this guy again. Not all sheep hunts have to be a grueling, extended, sucking up bad weather experience.
    If it were me and he's a legal ( broken, full curl, or age ) I'd set up on him and wait for a good shot. You have a great tag and if he's there you can seal the deal. Walking on him may be a gamble.

A buddy of mine had late Delta last year and we made quick work of a 3 day hunt. Motored in and camped. Spotted a ram at first light. Motored up for a closer look. Yep he's a nice double broomed. Climbed the ridge. took another closer look. Sent the heat. packed him to the wheelers. Camped then motored out. 2 days great weather. 1 day of the suck a fun wheeler ride out!!

If you have lots of days to hunt I would probably pass. It sounds like there is question in your mind whether he is a keeper? If you shoot that ram would you be proud of him? How many other rams have you harvested? If you've shot several...is just another ram or something special? Are you in top shape and is there plenty of country you can still cover during the season? You may never draw another Delta tag...take your time and find a ram that is no doubt a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by nwf99 View Post
    What do you guys think, should I go after him friday?
    A rhetorical question perhaps? Why didn't ya just say....."Hey guys, look what I'm going after on Friday!" LOL!

Post pics and stay safe
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

With the weather we had last year, I chose to take the first legal ram and did but if the forecast looks brighter, you may want to look further.

True, weather is a huge factor. How wide? Base mass? Oh, and good luck!

This Ram is about 16 miles from the road. I have a friend going with that does not have a tag. Plan is to hike into base camp Wed after work which is about 10 miles out. That will not be too bad beings I have almost everything back there already. Packs will be extremely light. Get in that night, get the wood stove going and eat some good pasta for some needed energy the next morning. Next morning we will head to spike camp which is about 6 more miles back. I have most of our gear stored about a mile from there in an action packer. We didnt have too much time to look around yesterday but there are 2 maybe a third legal Ram close to spike camp. A lot of things are going to come into play opening day. The biggest thing is people. If theres a buch of people up in there, first legal Ram gets whacked. If not then yes I would like to walk in a little further to see what else might be there. A friend went with yesterday who has hunted that area twice. He said both times he has not had to deal with any people. My friend is an experienced sheep hunter who has killed several. He told me to shoot the above pictured Ram if I see him. He had nice bases and great character. Broomed on one side and one hell of a full curl on the other. I sure wish I could have got a picture from his right side. Im going to stop looking at pictures and just put all of my focus on getting in there and making sure all of my gear is in top shape ext ext. For now Im off to the range!

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

We're headed in there tomorrow. What are gps coordinates?

Just kidding, we are going up johnson.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Good luck! I'm heading in Thursday bright and early!

I wouldnt pass any legal animal up. Way to many variables to consider so many things could go wrong on a hunt, but good luck and wish you well.

Welcome to sheep hunting, everyone is different. None are usually easy ... but some are harder than others. He may be a lot better that you think ... and he may not be there Friday as old sheep don't get old by watching all the activity goin' on below them. There's this saying, something about "a bird in the hand ...." well, you know the rest. Trophy hunting 101 says you have to be willing to pass on a lot of critters and be willing to go home with a "0" if truly pursuing a trophy. If he is legal, and it certainly sounds like he is, then the decision is yours. Try to get as good a look at him as you can, and then .... Good luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"