Thread: Fishing Devils Creek/Resurrection Pass Area

Default Fishing Devils Creek/Resurrection Pass Area

Hi All,

I'm looking to plan a ~3 day backpacking trip in the area around Resurrection Pass/Devils Creek/Summit Creek, and would love to be able to take advantage of the chance to fish for some graying, char, or trout in the creeks and lakes in this area. Is it reasonable to expect to find fish in these areas? I'm planning to bring along a 3wt flyrod or a Tenkara rod. If anyone has any thoughts on this area it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Daniel

I spent alot of time in those mountains years ago but never fished those small streams (with a couple exceptions), I had interest in fishing other streams on the K-penn, however, I did take time to look for fish in them. The only evidence I saw were small golden fin dollies/char, no rainbows or grayling, though I have a strong suspicion there are some quantity of rainbow in some of those streams due to the simple fact that some drain into waters containing rainbow trout.

Bring your gear and give it a go, there are far worse things one could be doing than fly fishing a pristine mountain stream in beautiful country.

There are small dollies way higher up than you could even think to imagine. If the summit creek you are speaking of is the one connected to the two summit lakes then yes there are fish in there as well.

Thanks .338win and AKGrayling.

Any other thoughts on good places to overnight hike that have great views and still offer decent chances at fish? I've been toying with the idea of hiking in to Crescent lake, and it sounds like it would be the ticket as far as fishing is concerened. How easy is the lake to access if we were fishing without waders or boats?

Quote Originally Posted by DanMan4142 View Post
    Thanks .338win and AKGrayling.

Any other thoughts on good places to overnight hike that have great views and still offer decent chances at fish? I've been toying with the idea of hiking in to Crescent lake, and it sounds like it would be the ticket as far as fishing is concerened. How easy is the lake to access if we were fishing without waders or boats?
    Crescent lake from the Moose Pas end is very steep the first mile or so, and you will pass by Carter lake along the way once you get up into the valley, Carter holds rainbows and is very brushy along the shores, because of that I never put in the effort to fish it. If you have a float tube and care to pack it up, that would be the ticket.

Crescent lake from the Cooper Landing end is a much more gradual hike but is more than twice the distance, 6+ miles. This I did one time and fished the outlet of the lake, after determining which fly the fish wanted-size 16 EHC-I couldn't keep them off my hook, they literaly destroyed my flies.

To summarize: I always caught grayling in Crescent lake regardless of which end I accessed it and I never felt a need for waders, shore fishing was just fine, and as I remember it, the shore line into the lake is very steep and gets deep rapidly rendering waders a wasted effort, the sides of that valley are steep and boulder strewn . There is also plenty of acreage to pitch a tent for the night if you choose to pack a camp in on the MP side -long meadow type setting on this end firewood is scarce, the CL side has a "campground" in timber, which I did not use, my hike on that end was a day trip.

It is a beautiful hike and valley from either end. Another option would be the Johnson/Bench lake hikes from either Moose Pass or Turnagain Pass, approx 21 miles end to end. Johnson has rainbow trout and Bench has grayling, another beautiful hike.