Thread: Texas style decoy rigging?

Default Texas style decoy rigging?

Does anybody here texas rig their decoys? It looks to me like a quick and easy way to rig a bunch of deeks.
    I make my own Halibut jigs and weights as well as weights for surfcasting,river fishing etc. I figured I would order a mold to make the egg sinkers myself and give it a try on some deeks this season.
    I normally use strap weights and bought the mold for making these but now I think I would rather Texas rig them then just hang a dozen on a caribiner and be good to go.
    What is your opinion on this style of rigging?
    Here is a link to what I am talking about.
    http://youtu.be/nbOz-dgp_UU
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I did it for some custom decoys that I keep in a slotted bag. most the water I hunt in can be up to 5 ft deep so doing the typical texas rig for shallow water is not practical for me.

I bought my line and crimps from B&J. You don't need to stick with egg sinkers. any sinker with a big eye works fine. Just not as pretty.

I do it and love it. It's quick and easy as long as you're hunting shallow water. I keep a few dozen rigged traditionally for deeper water.

Allright I ordered the stuff to rig up a few Texas style.
    Will see how it works for me. I really do like the simplicity and speed of it especially on those days where you are cold wet and miserable and the kid just wants to be done for the day and you still have to pick things up before you leave. This will definetly save time and effort. Quicker setting up as well.
    When I hunt the flats this year all of those ponds are fairly shallow anyway so having a couple dozen rigged this way is no big deal.

Yeah, I think you'll like it. Plus, you can clip them to your waders and drag a few dozen around hands free. And, with that design, you don't have to unwrap decoy lines, you just unclip and throw.

Sorry but the sound system on my pc sucks, and i have tried at least 3 different speakers. I watched the clip and it was interesting, but could not make out what he was saying. I can see how the ss leader material would be tangle resistant, and the advantage of pulling the leader though the dek hole, are you saying that you don't wind the line around the deks, but rather just hook all the loops together and let them hang, I tried that way when I first started but using regular line instead and ended up with a mess, must work better with the ss material. do you still store them in a dek bag, i would still think they would get tangeled, but correct me if I am wrong. I was wrong once before if i remember correctly. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Sorry but the sound system on my pc sucks, and i have tried at least 3 different speakers. I watched the clip and it was interesting, but could not make out what he was saying. I can see how the ss leader material would be tangle resistant, and the advantage of pulling the leader though the dek hole, are you saying that you don't wind the line around the deks, but rather just hook all the loops together and let them hang, I tried that way when I first started but using regular line instead and ended up with a mess, must work better with the ss material. do you still store them in a dek bag, i would still think they would get tangeled, but correct me if I am wrong. I was wrong once before if i remember correctly. Bud
    I used 300 lb mono and it doesn't tangle. Plus, you're only using 4'-5' lengths so it's tough to tangle. Then an egg weight on one end and a loop on the other and the line just goes freely through your decoy hole. When they're in the water, the loop catches the decoy hole and the weight sits at the bottom. When they're on the biner, the weight catches the decoy hole and they hang that way. I don't put mine in bags, either, just clip a dozen to a biner and hang the biner off of something. You may get a few twists every now and then, but for the most part, it's a lot faster/easier. The trick is in short lines, though, and that's why they're only practical for certain areas.

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    In that video he used 400 pound monofilament fishing line. You take the deeks and connect them all via the loop he first made to a small caribiner and carry them by the monofilament line. If you search youtube for texas rigging decoys you will find a lot of videos explaining this technique.
    Easy to set just unclip and throw them out no unwinding. To pick them up pick up the deek attach the loop to a caribiner and walk to the next one and do the same. When you get a dozen or so hooked on attach the caribiner to your waders and attach the next dozen to another caribiner and so on. You can still bag them if you want to, just leave the caribiner sticking up and pull them all out at once.

Sounds slick, think I will try it myself. Looked like SS wire rigging, the mono would be better. Thank you, Bud
    Wasilla

dont forget about using it for geese as well. always worked for the birds with high winds for ducks and geese. especially in late sept
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    dont forget about using it for geese as well. always worked for the birds with high winds for ducks and geese. especially in late sept

I don't use it for geese because goose floaters tend to weigh a lot more and Texas rigging them just doesn't have the same benefit. If you hang more than about 4 they get pretty heavy and with them banging around, it plays hell on the flocking. You shouldn't really need to put out a massive goose spread up here, anyways, so rigging your geese decoys individually isn't a terrible thing. Just my two cents.

Sportsmans has the heavy line and sleeves, no problem getting the stuff. I have redone my weights Texas style and like the way it is working out. Anticiapte much easier and quicker picking up and putting out deks. Thanks for all the information. This is one of the most useful threads I've used here. Bud
    Wasilla

Yeah I made up 3 dozen decoys this way myself.
    The one issue I had was after molding the weights the hole was too small for the line to go through. I ended up drilling the hole out to 1/8". I did ruin one drill bit before figuring out how to drill them. The trick seemed to be to use an eyedropper to put a drop of oil in the hole before drilling. If the drill bit started to bind up then I added a drop of oil to the other side and finished it up from the other side.
    I think I will like this for hunting shallow water.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Yeah I made up 3 dozen decoys this way myself.
    The one issue I had was after molding the weights the hole was too small for the line to go through. I ended up drilling the hole out to 1/8". I did ruin one drill bit before figuring out how to drill them. The trick seemed to be to use an eyedropper to put a drop of oil in the hole before drilling. If the drill bit started to bind up then I added a drop of oil to the other side and finished it up from the other side.
    I think I will like this for hunting shallow water.

You can't beat it for shallow water, especially if you have to walk any distance. You can just clip a few dozen to your waders and start walking...

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    You can't beat it for shallow water, especially if you have to walk any distance. You can just clip a few dozen to your waders and start walking...
    Yeah I was just out scouting some shallow water areas where I intend to use them.
    Saw at least 3 dozen ducks and half a dozen canada geese.
    Too bad I will be stuck on the slope for the opener.
    I think the closest spot is ~a mile or so from the nearest road.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Yeah I was just out scouting some shallow water areas where I intend to use them.
    Saw at least 3 dozen ducks and half a dozen canada geese.
    Too bad I will be stuck on the slope for the opener.
    I think the closest spot is ~a mile or so from the nearest road.
    Ill be up there, too. I won't be home until the 12th.

Wasilla