Thread: Laaaate October. Ideas?

Default Laaaate October. Ideas?

My sister is bringing up my 13 year old nephew to visit the last weekend in October (I tried convincing them to come up earlier but...). My nephew's only request was to catch a fish in AK. Any ideas? I usually hang things up about the first week in October. Are there any guides still chasing bows on the Kenai that late? I am willing to travel and have a 17' fiberglass boat (maybe lakers?). He is not very experienced and I do not know his ability to handle some cold. I will be sure he has the proper gear for whatever we undertake. Any help would be appreciated.

Rainbows, dollies, or even silvers on the Kenai might be an option. You might also get into some trout or grayling on local lakes. As long as there is no ice, the lake fish should be feeding voraciously.

Is the kid interested in hunting? You could also go look for spruce grouse. Man...that's a rough time of year for a visit, but you should be able to make something happen.

Another option would be to do a winter king/bottom fish combo out of Homer. If I recall, the winter king fishing is often good in November and there are plenty of cod, rockfish, and maybe even halibut to catch. It might be chilly, but the fishing could be good.

I need to get the go ahead from my sis but I would like to take him after some spruce grouse. I have a couple of good spots that I know we could get a few. I am going to look into a Homer trip as well.

I know last year I got into a few silvers in early october in Whittier.
    We were really lucky with the weather and both my gf and I hooked at least 4-5 fish each.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

I was looking into doing some fishing late Oct as well beings as thats when I was originally supposed to be coming back from deployment. I was told that dollies and bows are good that time of year right by the bridge in coopers landing, I was also told that feeder kings are very good out of homer in Oct/Nov.....so thats what I have planned for when I come back.