Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Partner

Default Hunting Partner

Hello

I'm new to the forum as you can probably see. I relocated to Alaska back in the Spring. I am really interested in going along on a moose hunt this fall. I would most likely only be available on the weekends, but I'll see. I do not plan to hunt this year but would really like to learn the system and any advice in the field. I have hunted Whitetail Deer (I know, nothing like a Moose) but still a great adventure. I can help haul meat, camp, etc. I am located in Eagle River. Thanks for reading.

Where were you 40 years ago when I needed help packing? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Where were you 40 years ago when I needed help packing? LOL
    Ha! I wasn't even a thought 40 years ago.

MN2AK, I may be in need of a partner on a Goat trip out of Seward this year (i wount know for sure for a few weeks) I know it is not a moose trip but it's something. if this might be something you would like pm me and we can start a dialogue. Also i seem to run out of week day evening duck partners from time to time. I know how hard it is to get started up here. PM me if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by lasthillbilly View Post
    MN2AK, I may be in need of a partner on a Goat trip out of Seward this year (i wount know for sure for a few weeks) I know it is not a moose trip but it's something. if this might be something you would like pm me and we can start a dialogue. Also i seem to run out of week day evening duck partners from time to time. I know how hard it is to get started up here. PM me if you can.
    Thanks for the reply. Sounds really interesting, I would definitely have interest in both opportunities. I cannot PM you yet, something about I have to be a member for a certain amount of time, or number of posts. I will contact you as soon as I am able.

Quote Originally Posted by MN2AK View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Sounds really interesting, I would definitely have interest in both opportunities. I cannot PM you yet, something about I have to be a member for a certain amount of time, or number of posts. I will contact you as soon as I am able.
    I think it's 10 posts due to spammers. Shouldn't take long. I hope all works out well for you.

15 posts and 1 month since signing up.

On a side note, I can't necessarily offer you a hunting partner, but if you want to sit down over a cup of coffee or a pint of beer sometime this fall to talk ideas and look over maps, let me know. I live in Eagle River as well and am always happy to talk hunting. I'm gone for most of the next 10 days and pretty much every weekend between now and early October, but during the week I'm up for most anytime. Also, we generally try to do a mid-winter forum get-together at some point here in Eagle River at Pizza Man, so watch for notice of that. It's a good chance to meet a few guys on here and share stories and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

On a side note, I can't necessarily offer you a hunting partner, but if you want to sit down over a cup of coffee or a pint of beer sometime this fall to talk ideas and look over maps, let me know. I live in Eagle River as well and am always happy to talk hunting. I'm gone for most of the next 10 days and pretty much every weekend between now and early October, but during the week I'm up for most anytime. Also, we generally try to do a mid-winter forum get-together at some point here in Eagle River at Pizza Man, so watch for notice of that. It's a good chance to meet a few guys on here and share stories and ideas.
    Can I take you up on this at any point between now and 8/19? Pints on me if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by 907Pilot View Post
    Can I take you up on this at any point between now and 8/19? Pints on me if you can.
    Ha! I don't know if I'll have any information worthy of a pint of beer, but I'm game. I'll be home on the 14th or 15th, then heading back out on the 17th. The offer is highly contingent on my upcoming sheep hunt, though. If we manage to connect, I'll have some butchering and fleshing to do. Still, I should be able to make something work.

Even better. I am totally willing to help make some cuts (always happy to get my hands dirty if I can learn more) and I can bring the beer (I have an 8 tap bar in my house and I am a beer lover). I will PM you in the next few days (if I don't, PM me. On more than one occasion I have written PMs and then not hit the "send" button, only to find out later I am that guy). I am usually off Tues and Weds, but I had to leave my plane in Homer and that might factor into my schedule.

Matt

An 8 tap bar in your house? Man...I think I found myself a new friend! Do you brew your own? That's something I've been wanting to get into for a few years now, but haven't made the time.

I want some beer... just kidding I dont drink...Again good luck

I brew my own, but in my current house it is super inefficient. I really need to get a new burner so that I can heat the wort more efficiently. I have had to buy beer lately because of the crappy electric range that I have.

That being said, the compromise is flying around the state gathering up beers from micro breweries. I have 2 5-gallon kegs stuck in Homer with my plane, both from Homer Brewing Company. One of their Porter and one of their Bitter.

I am not the world's best or most affluent brewer, but I LOVE brewing beer. It is super ultra rewarding for me, and I would be happy to give you a primer in a partial mash and loan you some of my gear in addition to the aforementioned if you would be willing to share with me some pointers in what you know and maybe some other help as needed in my upcoming hunt. It's a win-win. Let's talk in the next few days.

Done. Again, any info I have is worth a keystone light at best, but I'm not one to turn down offers of quality beer and/or brewing advice.

I'll PM you tomorrow or Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

That sounds great! I don't know exactly how my schedule is going to unfold here in the near future, but I will be in contact with you when I am available and we can setup a time that works. It would be great to meet up and talk hunting/fishing.

907Pilot: I like the sound of that bar!

Quote Originally Posted by MN2AK View Post
    That sounds great! I don't know exactly how my schedule is going to unfold here in the near future, but I will be in contact with you when I am available and we can setup a time that works. It would be great to meet up and talk hunting/fishing.

907Pilot: I like the sound of that bar!
    2012 hunting forums meeting at 907pilots bar? 10 bucks all you can drink beer??????? And one hunting spot to 907 per person. Plan to me!!! Haha. Seriously though if you're in anchorage and want to get after some bears we can do a weekender. Got my first bear in first year as a non res. just cost a bit more. I could use a backpacker in sept for black. BEar. If my hunting buddy isn't around.

ha ha! The only downside to that plan is my work schedule. Other than that, we might be able to work something out maybe?

Take your brewing outdoors, first find a pint and fill it with homebrew, next grab one of those turkey fryers, hook up the propane and get the boil going! Glad to share ideas on frugal brewing!

Best,
    Rich
    I swore an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. That oath had no expiration date Congress must use a different version that does.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    2012 hunting forums meeting at 907pilots bar? 10 bucks all you can drink beer??????? And one hunting spot to 907 per person. Plan to me!!! Haha. Seriously though if you're in anchorage and want to get after some bears we can do a weekender. Got my first bear in first year as a non res. just cost a bit more. I could use a backpacker in sept for black. BEar. If my hunting buddy isn't around.
    Let me know if plans with your hunting buddy don't work out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast