Thread: Stormy Lake Kill Schedule?

Default Stormy Lake Kill Schedule?

Has anyone heard a definitive timeframe for the pike kill operation at Stormy Lake? They were saying they would probably do it in August or September, but that was way back in January during the public comment period. I can't seem to find anything current on ADF&G website about when they'll be killing the lake.

Was thinking about trying to hit it at least one last time to try and catch a pike before they're gone.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I haven't heard when it will be.
    I for one will be kind of sad to see our pike fishing go away. Not that I think we need them but they have not erradicated them just
    made for lousy pike fishing. I wish I would have been able to make the public hearings they had on this.
    Stormy was the one of if not the last public access pike lakes left on the peninsula with catchable size fish in it.
    Until they poision all the lakes with pike in them including Sevena there will always be the threat of the pike coming back.
    Even then there is the chance of some bonehead doing what happened the first time and bringing some in.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I just talked to someone from F&G after catching a pike out there that had a radio tracker in it's gut...he said they are going to be out there around Sep 6 to start the process. He said that they are going to try and net the native fish first and put them in Wik lake until it's safe to bring them back to Stormy.

Excellent. So there's still time to get in one more run at a Stormy Pike.

Since they're killing them all anyway, anyone want to share some tips on good spots to find the Fall pike out there? I spent an entire day out there in June and hit every single weed bed around the entire perimeter of the lake and finished up with an hour of soaking herring in the deep channel on the west side passage. Didn't get so much as a nibble or see a full-grown pike anywhere, but saw tons of little minnows all over the shallows, especially over by the swimming hole. Went through everything in the tackle box from flies to spoons to spinners to surface gizmos like frogs and mice.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I caught mine trolling in about 12' of water just past the narrows on the left if you're coming from the launch. I think early morning is usually good. I was using a rainbow trout vibrax. (#4 I think)

I know right where you were and that's one spot I haven't spent very much time fishing. Mid-depth and not much in the way of weed beds, so I pass it by.

Next week, like maybe Wednesday morning, does anyone want to go fishing on Stormy? I've got room in the boat for up to 3 people. Bring your own fishing gear. Oh, and my 2 retrievers will be along for the ride.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74