Thread: Has anyone ever called up something they didn't expect?

Default Has anyone ever called up something they didn't expect?

I was just wondering if anyone has called up something they didn't expect while calling prdators? Let's say you're calling for foxes or lynx or expecting to see coyotes and something totally unexpected shows up. I was thinking about taking a predator call on our moose hunt and maybe using it if we had already filled our moose tags just to see what might show up. What do you think? Would it be worthwhile?

You'd probably have more of a chance calling in a bear. Don't know if you want that with moose meat all around camp.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Where I hunt I do not need a predator call to call in a bear, my moose call has called in at least two bears that I know of. It a little unsettling to have a bear answer you when calling moose.

Most predator hunters who use calls don't start doing so until November - after most bears have gone into hibernation. If you use a call in September you are very likely to call in a bear, and from those who have called in bears, be very careful and have two sets of eyes if you choose to do so. Since you are from Oklahoma you are not allowed to take a grizzly bear without a guide or a resident relative within the 2nd degree of kindred. If you're not going to be guided as such, you could put yourself in a position where you call in a very aggressive bear and can't do anything about it short of shooting it in defense of life and then having to turn over the hide and skull to the state. Anyhow, the conventional wisdom while bears are awake is that you shouldn't use a call unless you're ready and able to take a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Most predator hunters who use calls don't start doing so until November - after most bears have gone into hibernation. If you use a call in September you are very likely to call in a bear, and from those who have called in bears, be very careful and have two sets of eyes if you choose to do so. Since you are from Oklahoma you are not allowed to take a grizzly bear without a guide or a resident relative within the 2nd degree of kindred. If you're not going to be guided as such, you could put yourself in a position where you call in a very aggressive bear and can't do anything about it short of shooting it in defense of life and then having to turn over the hide and skull to the state. Anyhow, the conventional wisdom while bears are awake is that you shouldn't use a call unless you're ready and able to take a bear.
    Great post Brian. Be careful indeed those bears especially griz can be really pissy when they don't get the meal they are expecting.

Save the hassle and skip the call altogether.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Supporting Member

Have called in December and had two, very aggressive bull moose respond to the call. Thought it was great fun to mess with them until they kept coming. I finally got smart and shut up when they were about 30 yards out and thrashing the brush and pawing the ground. Suddenly was not very funny to be the focal point for their attention.

That settles it. No predator calling for us. Calling in a bear would be to much excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by 450grandpa View Post
    That settles it. No predator calling for us. Calling in a bear would be to much excitement.
    I guess....if there's such a thing as "too" much excitement......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I had a fox coming in about 400 yards out when a cow moose with a calf came running right at me blowing the whole thing.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Ironically, the thing I called in that I wasn't expecting was a lynx...and I was targeting lynx. I just didn't figure that I would be successful. The same could be said for my first coyote, too. I wasn't surprised to see owls and other birds come in, but predators? Dang...that was fun!

Called in a wolf when calling for fox, but thats probably nit super un common in other areas with more wolves
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I was calling one early morning out in PWS for bears a couple springs ago.. Figured id give it a try..I was watching this bear on a adjacent ridge and was basically trying to coax it over to me.. He wasnt interested in the least bit... then behind me I heard the dead grass rustle.. couldn't see anything, but it was getting closer and making a ton of noise.. then about 5 seconds later a porcupine popped up about 4 feet in front of me, stopped.. looked at me scrambling for my rifle.. and off he went on his merry way.. shortly after I cleaned my drawers.. I gently made my way back to my boat..

Cow moose, with in about 10 feet. She came in agressively and I was all camo'ed up. So I set still untill she started to walk away.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Calling for wolves on the Cinder River we had about a dozen bears show up within a few hours!

called in a nice blackie with a cub in distress call we were only in the stand for less than 30 minutes was a nice surprise as my buddy got his first bear that day

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Quote Originally Posted by 450grandpa View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone has called up something they didn't expect while calling prdators? Let's say you're calling for foxes or lynx or expecting to see coyotes and something totally unexpected shows up. I was thinking about taking a predator call on our moose hunt and maybe using it if we had already filled our moose tags just to see what might show up. What do you think? Would it be worthwhile?

Another thing I'd add, is that unless you're taking some sort of a mouth call, I don't know if I'd go out to a moose camp with an electronic call. Even if you have no intentions whatsoever of using it for moose, if a game warden shows up and you have a FoxPro or something like it, you're certainly going to have some explaining to do.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Another thing I'd add, is that unless you're taking some sort of a mouth call, I don't know if I'd go out to a moose camp with an electronic call. Even if you have no intentions whatsoever of using it for moose, if a game warden shows up and you have a FoxPro or something like it, you're certainly going to have some explaining to do.
    if the warden shows up while your calling moose with it.. yes you would have an issue... if your using a rabbit squeel... not likely... the regs say you may NOT use an electronic device to call moose.. it does not say you may not possess such device. where as the new reg for using deer or elk urine.. says you may not possess in the field... and water fowlers are not allowed to possess lead shot while pursueing water fowl...

elec calls are in many guide and other camps to hunt wolf and/or bear in the fall during slow ungulate period or after the main tags have been filled.. it s a common occurance and should not be an issue.

NOR does the regs say the call may not be programed with moose calls... bears often come in to bull and cow grunts. as they are weakend during the rut and are preyed upon.

look the reg up in the AAC on the state legislator pages... and read them in full.. a proper understanding of word for word is what keeps you from having issues with the trooper who may not have such and understanding.

For instance... a few years ago.. i fought htem on the sesure of game if your under the influance... sure it is a crime to be under the influance and possess a fire arm on your person or in / on your vehical..( on in the case of ATV's) they acna take your moose..

HOWEVER when they asked me about it later.. i told them i quit gun hunting and only bow hunt now.. because i can be slosshed off my rocker and shoot a moose with a bow... LEGALLY.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    if the warden shows up while your calling moose with it.. yes you would have an issue... if your using a rabbit squeel... not likely... the regs say you may NOT use an electronic device to call moose.. it does not say you may not possess such device. where as the new reg for using deer or elk urine.. says you may not possess in the field... and water fowlers are not allowed to possess lead shot while pursueing water fowl...

I understand how it works. I didn't say you would get a ticket, I said you'd have some explaining to do. It's one of those situations where even though you are doing nothing wrong, you're going to have to explain yourself and probably get quite the interrogation for it. Couple that with the bears still being out, and it's just one more reason to leave the predator calls at home. Again, if you have a mouth call, no big deal, I just think you'll have to explain yourself if you have an electronic caller.

calling for black bears in montana and had a bobcat jump up on a log about 10ft from me, thought he was going to jump right on my head. got a little exciting there for a minute.