Thread: Which Rifle

Default Which Rifle

I need some of your thoughts. I am coming up moose hunting this fall and am trying to decide on the rifle to bring. I have Rem. 760 30-06, Ruger 77 300 win mag, TC Oncor 405. The 06 is the one that has taken the most game. But I have shot them all a lot. What do you guys think?
    Bob

Personally I would bring the bolt action 300 Win Mag. Load it with some 180 Partitions and you would be ready for anything you might stumble across.

Nothing wrong with the 760, just too many things to break and go wrong on your hunt,and they are not that common up there.Hope this helps and just make sure too shoot it alot and get comfortable with it.

2nd that .300 bolt... Partitions, Barnes, Interbonds... good to go.

3rd for the 300. 180's or 200's, well constructed bullets of your choice. You won't go wrong.

Default I'll make that unanimous

The 180s will be a little flatter shooter for those long range shot, but then again the 200s have bit more stopping power... Don't think you could go wrong either way.

Good Luck!

HT

yet another vote for the bolt gun. cant go wrong with a 300. I had a 7600 in 35whelen, shot a bear with it and when I went to get a follow up shot, that thing jammed on me bigger than snot. it was probably my fault but still.....

yet another vote for the .300 w.m. with 180-200 gr. premium bullets.

Default which rifle

The 300 winchester bolt action synthetic stock rifle with a good quality scope is one of the best Alaskan rifles made. I have shot everything from Kodiak deer to Grizzly with it. It works very well, is dependable, has enough stopping power and ammunition is readily avaliable. If you have a 300 bring it enjot it and have fun. I would not hesitate to take a brown beer with it providing the shot placement is avaliable. Have fun Chef Viktor

Thanks for the imput. It sounds pretty unanimous.
    Bob

Post Shotplacement is key

Go with the rifle you can shoot best,its not about the caliber shotplacement is everything!.And remember its the bullet that does the work buy premium bullets like nosler partitions,barnes tsx or swift a frames

Bring the Ruger. Not for the cartridge, but for the relability of the platform.
    Now what ?

Bob-
    Get a two-gun hard case and bring both. You'll be travelling far from home, spending large bucks, and should have a backup, IMO, to avoid any problems.

The 405 is great for BIG thick skinned hogs and good out to 200-250 yds.

Default bolt gun

Use the Ruger M77 bolt gun in .300 with the heaviest premium bullets it will shoot good.

jedi

Yup, 300 win will do nicely. Killed my first bull with one. A borrowed one at that.