Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Any Homer Silvers?

  1. #1

    Default Any Homer Silvers?

    Any sign of Silvers showing up yet? Thinking of hitting Pogi, Flat Island, Silver Ridge etc., mid next week. It may be early for the main run but some should be showing up. Any word from some of you charter guys?

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gr8lyf View Post
    Any sign of Silvers showing up yet? Thinking of hitting Pogi, Flat Island, Silver Ridge etc., mid next week. It may be early for the main run but some should be showing up. Any word from some of you charter guys?
    I've had "halibut only" charters for the last 4 days, so haven't fished for silvers in 5 days, so can't tell you from first hand experience. But I have fished for halibut in the general area of "Silver Ridge" and haven't seem many jumpers and not ANY boats fishing for silvers there. I have heard in the last few days that they have been showing further out---like way out off of Flat Is. down as far as Pt. Adam and Elizabeth, but so far seemingly pretty thin closer in. Of course that doesn't mean they aren't there today or will be tomorrow. I have a ling charter tomorrow and will probably stop at Pogi on the way back in to try for silvers. I'll try to update this post if I have anything to report.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  3. #3
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I've had "halibut only" charters for the last 4 days, so haven't fished for silvers in 5 days, so can't tell you from first hand experience. But I have fished for halibut in the general area of "Silver Ridge" and haven't seem many jumpers and not ANY boats fishing for silvers there. I have heard in the last few days that they have been showing further out---like way out off of Flat Is. down as far as Pt. Adam and Elizabeth, but so far seemingly pretty thin closer in. Of course that doesn't mean they aren't there today or will be tomorrow. I have a ling charter tomorrow and will probably stop at Pogi on the way back in to try for silvers. I'll try to update this post if I have anything to report.
    Just curious....when the silvers are in pretty good, don't you start picking a few up on herring when heading down to the bottom for halibut?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  4. #4

    Default

    Hey Mutt, it's good to hear that you're starting to see jumpers. Typically things start heating up 1-2 weeks after spotting jumpers near Pt. Adams. You charter guys should begin tying into a few real soon. Thanks for the info & any news about Pogi or Silver Ridge is greatly appreciated. I'll be on the salt later next week to try my luck.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Just curious....when the silvers are in pretty good, don't you start picking a few up on herring when heading down to the bottom for halibut?
    It's never happened to me, but I've heard of it happening. But I very rarely use herring and when I'm fishing for halibut I typically use bait that a silver would be able to swallow---especially on a 16/0 circle hook.

    Quote Originally Posted by gr8lyf View Post
    Hey Mutt, it's good to hear that you're starting to see jumpers. Typically things start heating up 1-2 weeks after spotting jumpers near Pt. Adams. You charter guys should begin tying into a few real soon. Thanks for the info & any news about Pogi or Silver Ridge is greatly appreciated. I'll be on the salt later next week to try my luck.
    The trouble is I've been seeing jumpers inside of K-Bay for about 2 weeks now. BUT the problem with that is there are a LOT of pinks around, too, so those jumpers might just be them instead. And in the times I have trolled for salmon in the last couple of weeks all I have caught were pinks. Not even many kings.

    And I don't fish for halibut alone that often south of Pogi. The reports I've had about the fish out past Flat and south of that have been from very reputable guides so I don't doubt them at all. So I'm sure hoping it's a good sign of the future. Hopefully we'll find out tomorrow! The always reliable (LOL!) marine forecast for "the islands" area sound promising, so we'll see.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  6. #6

    Default

    Hey Mutt . . . let us know how you do at Pogi and good luck. Hopefully you'll tie into a few silvers.

  7. #7
    Member danmiotke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    214

    Default

    we caught a couple yesterday but were not really targeting themadamkings.jpg

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danmiotke View Post
    we caught a couple yesterday but were not really targeting themadamkings.jpg
    NICE!! Congrats. I didn't get to fish them today because we were busy catching halibut, lings and yelloweye. I heard today from another charter captain that there are some decent numbers of feeder kings out there, too, and it looks as though you found that out first hand. Hopefully have to give it a whirl Tuesday (boat maintenance day tomorrow!).
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  9. #9

    Default

    Spoke with a reliable source yesterday and he's starting to connect with both Silvers & Feeder Kings in K-Bay. The pics of danmiotkes' salmon seems to verify that. Too bad Mutt couldn't find time to fish salmon around Pogi yesterday. We'd like to see how things are developing around the corner. Anyone else reading this post are welcome to share their recent experiences, especially if you've been out towards Silver Ridge, Sand Waves or the Fingers. Bait balls in those areas should be showing up which means hungry schools of salmon.

  10. #10
    Member JR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,129

    Default

    I saw a couple of jumpers at pogi as we passed by today. Where is Silver ridge?

    Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

    Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

  11. #11

    Default

    Silver Ridge is NW of Pogi by about 8-10 clicks towards the middle of Cook Inlet. Look on your chart for "Sand Waves" which is west of Silver Ridge by a few clicks. There's a bump on your chart in that area where the bait balls congregate. Look for Shearwaters diving into the salt. That's where the bait is - and the silvers. In the days B4 GPS', I'd take a 212 degree course out from the green can for about 25 -30 miles. I'm not on my boat so I can't give you the exact coordinates. By now, if you head out in that direction, you'll see a few charter boats trolling that area. Good luck.

  12. #12

    Default

    LOL! Didn't make the silver/king run again today! Had to deal with catching lings and yelloweye instead. And tomorrow. And the day after that. Maybe I'll be able to give it a try Friday!!!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danmiotke View Post
    we caught a couple yesterday but were not really targeting themadamkings.jpg
    NIce fish! Thats one of the best Silver pictures i've sean this season!

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    NIce fish! Thats one of the best Silver pictures i've sean this season!
    If they all were silvers I'd say it was the best silver picture I've seen this season, too. I could be wrong, but if the picture is labeled "adamkings" I'm assuming most of them are kings. Am I incorrect in saying that, Dan?
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  15. #15
    Member danmiotke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Table of kings 1 silver shown, 2 other silvers caught and didn't make picture

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danmiotke View Post
    Table of kings 1 silver shown, 2 other silvers caught and didn't make picture
    Snap!

  17. #17

    Default

    Well, we trolled The Bluffs to try and get in on the "hot king bite" that was supposedly going on there and we caught one little 2 or 3 lb. "jack" in about an hour and a half of trolling. There were a bunch of boats between Bluff Pt. and "Whale's Tail" but I didn't see a single boat that evidenced any fish being caught. Not to say there weren't, but I sure didn't see it. Probably try Pogi tomorrow.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    No silvers! Just 5 nice Kings and nice Limit of halibut form 15lb to 115lb we killed all the halibut that we got to the boat. Nice day off the Bluffs!! Oh there were some pinks aroud too PITA!!!

  19. #19
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Heading down Sunday, does anyone have an update on the silvers in and around Homer?

  20. #20

    Default

    Spent 5 days looking for Silvers last week with little success. Boated only 6 during that time but the three in my party limited on Kings and lost quite a few at the boat. Many Pinks' and Halibut grabbing our troll herring but the bite was really slow this Monday - only 2 kings boated with two more lost. Worked really hard for the Silvers' around Flat Island, Pogy, Silver Ridge etc., with our best success at the 40 line. Plenty of charter boys who caught a few Silvers' but many more Kings' - all at the Bluffs. The Silvers' are either late again or non-existent. I'm hoping it's the former. Weather was great though and had a blast on the water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •