Thread: Deadman's Bay Refuge Cabin...Anyone been their?

Default Deadman's Bay Refuge Cabin...Anyone been their?

I've reserved the refuge cabin at Deadman's Bay for a time in beginning of October to take my wife down and do some deer and goat hunting. I've never been before and have talked with the bio for down there and got some good information but am wondering how the brush and alders are from the cabin to hike up and get into the mountains behind the cabin. I know it'll be a steep climb but am hoping the alders aren't too bad to get up on top.

Thanks

Get a good divorce attorney. LOL

Hmm, I guess my wife is much tougher than yours...

My Kodiak bear hunt was the one hunt my wife has refused to go on, can't remember if that was before or after I showed her the video another forum member posted on youtube of his tent taking a beating in one heck of a rain storm?

And she has gone on a winter moose hunt via snowmachines 40 miles off the road.

That and the bears, is mostly the reason I went with the cabin even though I know an alpine lake drop would be best. We spent a week on the haul road in a tent during the last week of October in sub-zero temps. She asked me if we could do this hunt and after explaining how tough it can be she still wanted to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    That and the bears, is mostly the reason I went with the cabin even though I know an alpine lake drop would be best. We spent a week on the haul road in a tent during the last week of October in sub-zero temps. She asked me if we could do this hunt and after explaining how tough it can be she still wanted to go.
    Thats awesome mossyhorn I hope you guys have a great time together and a great hunt! I am pretty sure I could talk my wife into going down there if there was a cabin involved.

Yes, alders are a problem. Not insurmountable. The cabin is nice and cozy when it is blowing and raining, but I would recommend bringing a lightweight tent and spiking out for a night or two. It will save a lot of leg work and time climbing up the hills. During the same time frame last year the only deer we saw were up high, at the top of the alder line. Only saw 5 deer all week. Goats didn't want to play either, but if we had spiked out up the mountain, we might have had a chance.

Nice to be in the cabin on the deck watching a huge moonlit silhouette walk down the beach, crunching mussels.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default Go with transporter

I was just down there long lining halibut and there is alot of alders but a nice valley where the cabin is, Rick Metzger has a cabin right across from the refuge cabin, I would call him for transports and lodging, he knows that place like no one else. We saw tons goats and deer on his side of the bay.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Its not the steep that will get you its the thickness of the alders that will eventually get you frustrated. If you are going up & down the same area twice a day you may want to bring a small folding saw / or machete to help some. Some spots get so thick they grab you, your pack & even hold you off the ground at times & even though the patch may only be 50-100 yds when you are stuck in the middle you tend to get impatient. Last year on a treck over there I lead for on the way in. On the way out the wife was infront & I didnít think we would ever get out of them, especially before dark so we could start the decent down.
    Good luck, have fun & let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Hmm, I guess my wife is much tougher than yours...
    Gee, I guess so. Joke much?

Thanks for the helpful advice. I did plan on taking a small tent so we could spike out on top, I'd really rather not try and do that hike over and over. Anyone know how to get a hold of Rick Metzger? I've searched and searched and can't find any contact for him.

what date's are you going to be down there? I will be flying into there october 1st-10th. With one othe goat hunter. we are going to the alpine lakes and staying in a tent.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    My Kodiak bear hunt was the one hunt my wife has refused to go on, can't remember if that was before or after I showed her the video another forum member posted on youtube of his tent taking a beating in one heck of a rain storm?

And she has gone on a winter moose hunt via snowmachines 40 miles off the road.
    Wow does she split wood with her bare hands? bend rebar into animal shapes too?...
    My wife she is up for certain things but nothing where life suck ass and you are misearable. So I would never take her down there and oh yeah she is scared of bears as well.

Suppose to be down on the 3rd-10th of October. May have some work conflicts actually that may prevent these days but we'll see.

I would like to work something out so that we are not hunting on top of each other. I know there are a lot of goats down there, however I want to give both hunting parties the best chances possible. What air service are you using to get down there? Maybe i will pick a different lake sense you already have the cabin.