Thread: Kenai Area Weather in Late September & Clothing Recommendations

Default Kenai Area Weather in Late September & Clothing Recommendations

I have always been to the Cabin on the Kenai for the early Silver run in late August. This year we are going for the second run and won't be arriving until September 26th. What kind of weather should we expect? Average temps, rain, wind, ect? I know it will be colder than late August but hopefully still tolerable.

Any particular clothing recommendations that any of you have found to work well for cold weather fishing? I am wondering about some gloves that could be worn while operating a rod and reel. I currently just use the wool, flip open, mitten/gloves with exposed finger tips.

Just think rain gear on overcast days, and layers (fleece, wool, etc...) on clear, possibly frosty mornings.

There are a few that like the neoprene gloves (Kenai Glacier gloves) to fish with but I haven't liked them. I think mainly because they weren't big enough for air circulation. But you might check into them. I also like wool gloves as well, but at that time of year just seem to need some type of thin liner glove. Just hasn't really got that cold yet at that time of year.......not that it can't.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Weather is really dependant on where on the Kenai you will be.
    In the mountains around Cooper landing morning temps around the end of September/early October are usually in the 30's to low 40's.
    Daytime highs are usually 40's to 50's.
    But I have seen it in the low to mid 20's. Further West/South it is usually a bit warmer.
    I have had years where the weather is beautiful with hardly any rain and I have had years where I thought I was going to need a seat on the Ark because of all the rain. One year I had rain only a few days out of 30 and another year I had rain 27 days out of 30. It all depends on the year and really can't be predicted.

For gloves I wear Simms windstopper fingerless fleece. I wear fleece tops, Simms or other rain gear and my Simms waders.
    Keeps me warm and toasty.

We stay just outside of Sterling in a home on the middle Kenai. We will also be doing some fishing out on the saltwater if weather permits. Homer for sure, possibly Seward as well.

On the Gulf we usually get our first big fall storm around the equinox mid-month. Not always, but so often we count on it. The good news is that if we get it, there's usually a stretch of real nice weather right after. Not sure if that translates for the Kenai, but I bet it's close.

I'd pack for the worst, but with optimism that you might be in for a really great time. Gloves, layers, and rain gear. And sun screen of course!

I have been told that the weather can be beautiful in late September and have seen some incredible pictures of my friends (who live there all season) sporting hefty silvers wearing short sleeved shirts with the sun shining against a beautiful fall backdrop of changing leaves.

I have also froze my tail off in late August running up the river in the early morning so I'm a little concerned how cold it could be a month further into the calandar

weather.com is saying for Soldotna, Ak on September 30th is....

Averages:
    Hi 51F
    Lo 35F

Records:
    Hi 60F
    Lo 19F

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/USAK0229?month=1

Well, that temperature sounds better than I expected. I am so excited I will have a hard time sleeping for the next month or so!