Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What color/pattern flashers for silvers?

Default What color/pattern flashers for silvers?

I'm curious what everyone uses in response to different weather. What color/pattern is your favorite on sunny days and/or cloudy days, or what is most effective overall??

I've always used silver with reflective tape on one side, and it's seemed to work fine, but they come in a huge variety now. Makes me wonder what everyone else prefers.

I will be keeping an eye on this thread as well. We will be spending two weeks on the middle river in late September and would love to catch some silvers on the fly. Any advice on doing so would be much appreciated!

Funny, but the brighter the light, the smaller and less flashy I use. In deeper water I like chartreuse on deeper lines and none at all close to the surface or in water shallower than about 40'. Overcast days I like the reflective tape on deeper lines, chartreuse close to the surface. Gotta stay away from the small chartreuse in the shallows on overcast days though, because they're likely to start hitting the flasher rather than what's behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    I'm curious what everyone uses in response to different weather. What color/pattern is your favorite on sunny days and/or cloudy days, or what is most effective overall??

I've always used silver with reflective tape on one side, and it's seemed to work fine, but they come in a huge variety now. Makes me wonder what everyone else prefers.
    IMHO it doesn't matter at all. Silvers will hit just about anything and even will attack a dodger. Take a look at my underwater video for proof of that (just go to my website and click on the "Underwater videos" link). I only use plain old silver dodgers or the ones with "prism" tape on them.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Forgot to add that the "cop car" color of Luhr Jensen Herring Dodger is our top pick for bright days down to about 60', but especially in the shallows. It attracts their attention well at any depth, but doesn't spook them when running near the surface in the shallows. Not coincidentally, it's dandy for kings in the shallows on sunny days too.

Good info, thanks. And yeah, I tend to agree that they'll hit about anything some of the time. There are other times when the bite turns off and you have to coax them a bit. I'm trying to come up with ways to get them to hit even when the bite is otherwise slow, and figured color combos on dodgers/flashers might make a difference. I'll probably grab a couple of the chartreuse ones and experiment with them. I think I have the exact Luhr Jensen BrownBear mentioned already, and I've had stellar luck with them.

It even helps pick up the bite under a float. Put a bobber stop about 6-8' up your line, bobber, then a flasher about 18" up from hooks and herring. They still flash and reflect with the motion of the float on the waves. My father-in-law did really well last year from the dock in Valdez with that rig.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Forgot to add that the "cop car" color of Luhr Jensen Herring Dodger is our top pick for bright days down to about 60', but especially in the shallows. It attracts their attention well at any depth, but doesn't spook them when running near the surface in the shallows. Not coincidentally, it's dandy for kings in the shallows on sunny days too.
    Huh! I've never even seen that "Cop Car" version before. Very interesting. Might have to pick some up and give them a try. I can't tell from the Luhr Jensen site what's going on with the pattern. Is half the dodger the pattern and the other half just silver, or is the pattern "muted" like it seems to be in the picture of it?

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    It even helps pick up the bite under a float. Put a bobber stop about 6-8' up your line, bobber, then a flasher about 18" up from hooks and herring. They still flash and reflect with the motion of the float on the waves. My father-in-law did really well last year from the dock in Valdez with that rig.
    Yeah, that can be a great tactic. I saw a variation working that changed my whole tactic one day when the fish were handy but the bite was off. Guy I know was slaying them from shore doing like you describe, but with a big ole bobber and a longer leader to the stop. He'd cast as far as he could, let the rig sit for a few minutes, then reel like crazy till the flasher came to the surface and stop reeling, allowing the rig to sink back down. His strikes came as he was letting it sink.

Not a bobber on the boat, so I trolled with no weights, just let out about 100' of line, get the dodger on top, and kick the boat out of gear to let it sink, with strikes coming as they sank. Spotted some fish on the sounder about 40' down, so we began to jig, mooch or "vertically troll" with the same rig, whatever you want to call it: Let your lines sink straight below the boat until it was past the fish, then reel straight back up to the surface. When they quit following it up after a few fish on, we simply lowered the rigs to the depth of the fish, then raised our rods smooth and fairly quick as high as we could reach, then lower them back down slowly. Most strikes were as they dropped, but once in a while one would hit as you were raising the rod. Talk about a strike. BOOM!

Forgot one other novel variation to pass along. Figgered it out one day while anchored in a current for halibut and fishing was slow, but silvers were jumping in the vicinity:

Tie on a dodger with herring or hoochie below it and no weight. Let the current take the rig out and hang your rod in a rod holder. Starting at around 1-1.2 mph, the current will work that dodger nicely. Doesn't work for poot with plastic dodgers or flashers, but the weight of metal ones is just right. Works so well we sometimes just anchor up in a handy current and let the rigs back for some "trolling" while eating lunch or thinking about naps. Don't get to eat much or catch a nap when you're in the right place at the right time!

Forgot one other novel variation to pass along. Figgered it out one day while anchored in a current for halibut and fishing was slow, but silvers were jumping in the vicinity:

Tie on a dodger with herring or hoochie below it and no weight. Let the current take the rig out and hang your rod in a rod holder. Starting at around 1-1.2 mph, the current will work that dodger nicely. Doesn't work for poot with plastic dodgers or flashers, but the weight of metal ones is just right. Works so well we sometimes just anchor up in a handy current and let the rigs back for some "trolling" while eating lunch or thinking about naps. Don't get to eat much or catch a nap when you're in the right place at the right time!
    Yeah, I do that a lot and especially when I'm out in the "Silver Ridge" area fishing for halibut. Though I'll just toss a single herring out there without a dodger. I've caught some very nice silvers that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Yeah, I do that a lot and especially when I'm out in the "Silver Ridge" area fishing for halibut. Though I'll just toss a single herring out there without a dodger. I've caught some very nice silvers that way.
    I do both of those with slight variations to keep things moving while fishing from shore as well. The whole herring/dead drift is amazingly effective from shore if the water is deep enough. Doesn't work all that well in shallower water, though.

When Coho fishing we usually go for a "duller" flasher under bright sunny conditions (something we haven't seen much of this summer), and the prism or bright reflective sides when the skies are overcast. When towing hoochies I prefer lighter colors on brighter days and darker ones when it is foggy or overcast. I generally use the same approach when pulling spoons behind flashers. For fishing deep [90 feet plus] for feeder Kings my best results come on white flashers with glow tape. Naturally, these are only guidelines - just the opposite combinations will surprise you from time to time. For Hotspots I prefer red or green bodies.

Ditto this...the Cop Car is usually down first if we are dragging hoochies. Subtle but deadly...I like spoons that are the same pattern trolled 'naked'.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Huh! I've never even seen that "Cop Car" version before. Very interesting. Might have to pick some up and give them a try. I can't tell from the Luhr Jensen site what's going on with the pattern. Is half the dodger the pattern and the other half just silver, or is the pattern "muted" like it seems to be in the picture of it?
    One side is just pearl white and the other has a hologram scale look to the black/white finsh.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    ...I like spoons that are the same pattern trolled 'naked'.
    Dang it! There you go again giving away all the good stuff! Now that it's on the table, that's our #1 shallow water king salmon producer on bright days- over and above even herring. On overcast days it loses a little ground to the real thing, but not by much. I have no qualms using it when I run out of bait or forget it. Moi? Forget the bait? Never!

Ditto this...the Cop Car is usually down first if we are dragging hoochies. Subtle but deadly...I like spoons that are the same pattern trolled 'naked'.
    Thanks! My favorite thing to drag for coho and kings are those Tsunami squid I've talked about before. I've got some "squid scent" coming from Boneyard I can't wait to try. That and the "Cop Car" might just be the ticket for arresting a few salmon.

A cop-car colored spoon is in the running for the very first thing I'd pull if trying to find a willing feeder king somewhere. Particularly in the 5.0 coyote size or the cookies n cream colored kingfisher spoon (similar pattern). Red racer pattern (cop car with red stripe in middle) or kitchen sink (cop car with green stripe in middle) have worked for me before as well. Naked or ~6' behind a chartreuse Hot Spot with the oldschool silver mylar sticker sides.

Flasher patterns that have worked for me up here, all in 11" Hot Spot or facsimile flavoring: red with silver mylar sides, red with the square pattern prism tape, chartreuse with mylar sides, UV with prism tape, UV with the peach/purple crackle tape (Glow stripe removed), white with black (kind of a faded cop car) with prism scale sticker, white with pink/purple patterned like cop car

All this to say, I'm not sure it matters for silvers. White with dark is never a wrong choice, IMO. For kings, this year the square pattern prism sticker on a UV body worked great in choppy water and sunlight. When cloudy, the old-style mylar sticker on red or green worked better. That sort of contradicts another earlier post, but hey, that's fishing.

Then there was that fateful day when we got six kings on 7" tomics trolled downcurrent / upwind as fast as 15hp will push 28' of boat...if there's big feed (gigantic herring in this case) in the area and you're not getting bit, you oughta try tying on a big tomic and trolling fast. HTBMWCATD.

...I like spoons that are the same pattern trolled 'naked'.
    My wife got mad at me when I started trolling naked.

Alright, so I went "cop car" shopping today and haven't found them yet. Where's the secret local stash?

Also, if anyone has spoon specifics, i.e. brand, size, and pattern, I'd appreciate them. I'm trying to stock my gear up now for Labor Day Weekend.

If anyone knows where to get the bobber stops that are little nylon or plastic ones that you thread your line through a few times, I'm looking for those, too. I prefer those ones for fishing bait deep because they don't get hung up on guides.

When I was through there this spring B&J had Luhr Jensen Coyotes in Cop Car. They had a dozen less when I checked out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast