Thread: DIY weekend caribou hunt

Default DIY weekend caribou hunt

I live in anchorage and want to go on a weekend hunt for caribou. Does any one know where I can drive to thats not too far other then the draw hunts down on the kenai. I have been thinking about going to gmu 13 or 16. Any sugestions?

There are none. Unit 13 is draw only and there are no road accessible caribou in 16.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Do you have any sugestions?

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyakadayday View Post
    Do you have any sugestions?
    Read the hunting regulations and you will find some. Start by looking at the game management unit map and see what units are along roads and go from there. Pretty simple process all in all that a lot of people fail to comprehend.

But if you don't want to do any work I hear unit 16 off the parks Highway has an open season and only requires a harvest tag that you can pick up anywhere that sells hunting licenses.

You are basically out of luck. The only road-accessible caribou hunts that do not require a drawing or Tier I permit (which had to be applied for back in December) are the 40 Mile registration hunt which is either hunted out of Fairbanks or Tok, or the Dalton Highway caribou hunt which is restricted to bowhunting-only within 5 miles of the road. Both hunts would realistically take more than a weekend.

You pretty much have to book a weeklong trip.... I'm hoping to use the week after Labor Day as that would only be 4 days away from work... go up on the Haul Road and hike in as I did last year. Although I may not do it this year if I can't find anyone to go with.