Thread: Best time for POW spring bear

Default Best time for POW spring bear

What is the best time to plan to spot and stalk (bow) POW spring bears? I hear getting there late means everything is grown up and bears are hard to spot, I also hear early means bears are still hibernating. Also everyone seems to disagree on when all this occurs. I am considering the 2nd or 3rd week of may (2008), what is you opinion?

Thanks DonV

Well...here in Juneau I plan on heading down towards Snettisham Bay cruising the beachs in Mid May to see if I can locate myself a bear....I know it should be here pretty soon and they'll start showing up...

someone saw one out in Juneau last week
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default spring on the Rock

DonV ... some hunters prefer early when there are few hunters out. Some prefer mid May but there will be lots of hunters about. Yet some prefer Late May into June when you will have to look over more bear but once again there will be fewer hunters.

The highest kill days (in numbers) are between the 10th and 15th of May. It's not because that is the best hunt, it's because thats when there is the most hunters.

Hunting is good from April 20th into the first part of June. Some hunter come in early May and kill a rubbed bear and come back in April cause they think they will get a non-rubbed Bear. Then they don't see any (or very few) Bear. It really doesn't quite work that way! There are rubbed Bear throughout the entire hunt. Some times more rubbed Bears are killed in early and mid May than in late May and June.

Don - I hunted there last year from May 5-12 and it was apparently a late spring.....40 degrees and constant rain the whole week. I was told that the previous two years during that same second week of May the temps were in the 70's and sunny. Next year I'm going a week later. It would be nice to be flexible w/ your dates but it's tough when you have to do so much logistics planning.

Ty

Last 10 days of May.PERIOD!!

Default spring patterns

There is one thing that is predictable about the spring on POW ..... it's unpredictable. Just like Bears .... once you think you have them figured out .... they do just the opposite. Spring usually means 4 seasons in one day ... and remember the old saying May showers bring June flowers!!!!!!

Last spring was cold ... just like this spring will probably be. But it could turn nice and warm and melt snow fast. I was out there yesterday checking on snow conditions and there are still many spur roads closed by snow. In fact most are closed still.

No reports of any dead Bear yet. And there are non-res hunters already in the field and I saw more get off the ferry in a sideways 50 mph cold rain ... probably wondering ... waz up ? And they probably didn't even realize that it was snowing low in all the mountains.

The 2 springs before just like BR mentioned were way hot early. Which is more rare than the late cold ones are. In those 2 springs it was record breaking warm temps for that time of year. '04 actually had near 80 in late April. But 40 degrees and constant rain is kinda what you must expect to be hunting in .... even in mid May.

You just have to adjust your hunting strategies as to what mother nature deals you.

Depends on what area of Alaska you plan to hunt.

Default everyone has one !!!!

"Also everyone seems to disagree on when all this occurs."

I have also always got a kick out of some of these hunters from south that have hunted POW a time or two (or three) and have it all figured out !!!!!!