Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some pictures of a sub-legal moose.

Default Some pictures of a sub-legal moose.

Ran in to this guy on the hillside in Anchorage yesterday. Medium-ish bull but it was fun to stop and get out and get close. Practiced estimating and got a few good pictures. I put him between 40-45". Maybe 43". Anybody else getting excited for moose season?

IMG_0009.JPGIMG_0010.JPG
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I agree 43-45 incher but some yahoo would shoot it thinking its 50.

Still in velvet, And my guess would be 46-48...

Which means he would probably be legal in Sept, given that he's is still growing.

That don't help me any ---- I'm going moose shooting on the 15th of August!!

Chris

Beams have zero droop and the palms have a super tight curve to em.

I'd venture low 40s
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

45"-46" spread is my guess. Good size body on him too.

I figured 44"
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Too close to shoot, but he's actually darn close to 50". Assuming the standard 8" between the bases, with Mr. Ruler on my screen I get 51.2" on one picture and 52" on the other.

I'd pass as without the ruler my gut says high 40's.

He's a shooter next year for sure.

ok help me out here... im looking at him and thinking about 40" am i being too safe or am i just really messed up on this?
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

37"...........

Quote Originally Posted by gutpile View Post
    Too close to shoot, but he's actually darn close to 50". Assuming the standard 8" between the bases, with Mr. Ruler on my screen I get 51.2" on one picture and 52" on the other.

This is why so many sub-legals get shot.

Quote Originally Posted by .300wby View Post
    This is why so many sub-legals get shot.
    Yup.....I have to wonder what kind of ruler he's using, cause if that bull is over 50" it sure ain't the same kind I use....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I'm actually with gutpile on this one. He's darn close to 50 if you use 10" between the eyes. This is a brow tine counter for sure. I don't see three so I'm not shooting.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Measuring the pics with the bases I come out out to low 40's. I come out to 46" with the eyes. I bet he will be a shooter in Sept.

Quote Originally Posted by granby45 View Post
    Measuring the pics with the bases I come out out to low 40's. I come out to 46" with the eyes. I bet he will be a shooter in Sept.

Yeah, I have no doubt someone will shoot him. Are they going to do the one time free pass deal? Anyway, yes this moose will be shot especially if he lives in an area where he's frequently seen. I have seen it so many times... A moose like that one hangs out where everybody gets a look at him.... Most look for a while and move on. Finally some dude desperate to get a moose comes along...and Bang!... ****!47"!

Quote Originally Posted by .300wby View Post
    Yeah, I have no doubt someone will shoot him. Are they going to do the one time free pass deal? Anyway, yes this moose will be shot especially if he lives in an area where he's frequently seen. I have seen it so many times... A moose like that one hangs out where everybody gets a look at him.... Most look for a while and move on. Finally some dude desperate to get a moose comes along...and Bang!... ****!47"!
    I agree that thing is nowhere close to 50. I posted a picture of a bull last year I helped some guys with we barely got 51 out of him good thing he was 4-5 brow time bull. I would take a picture or two and drive off...

Quote Originally Posted by gutpile View Post

I'd pass as without the ruler my gut says high 40's.

He's a shooter next year for sure.
    too bad no rear view. The tail says it all LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    ok help me out here... im looking at him and thinking about 40" am i being too safe or am i just really messed up on this?
    You're maybe a little on the safe side, but you're better off underestimating by 2 or 3 inches than overestimating by 2 or 3 inches. I would guess about 42 or 43 inch, and sorry guys he wont be 50 by September either because his horns don't lay out, they curl in. Only way he would get to 50 is if he grows an abnormal point that shoots straight off his palm about 8 inches. Nice and fat bull though, looks like he made it out of the winter well.

I'd agree with those that suggest low 40s, and I highly doubt he'd be legal by September. Most of the growth is done by now, and in two weeks it is basically over.

Whatever he is or will be shortly I'd not pull the trigger on. I'm kinda' chicken when it comes to being sure about a real 50". When I jerk that trigger it'll go 50" for dang sure.lol

yeah you have to look at the shape of the horns... heres one to compare..although not in velvet..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast