Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun use on the Dalton

Default Shotgun use on the Dalton

Is it legal to use a shotgun for ptarmigan in the Dalton Corridor?

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Sapper View Post
    Is it legal to use a shotgun for ptarmigan in the Dalton Corridor?
    That would a negative.

Unfortunately no.....

"The area within the Prudhoe Bay Closed Area is closed to the taking of big game; the remainder of the Dalton
    Highway Corridor Management Area is closed to hunting; however, big game, small game, and fur animals may be
    taken in the area by bow and arrow only"

According to the trooper I spoke with you may not even use a wrist rocket. The regulation specifically states bow and arrow only.

I wish they would change that rule! last time I was up that way a HUGE beautiful wolverine crossed the road right in front of us then just sat on the side of the road for a good 45 seconds looking at us, would of loved to taken that one probably missed a once in a lifetime deal.

you couldnt shoot it with your bow bsj?

Aint much funner than chasing a flock of a couple hundred ptarmigan around, bow in hand. You'll get enough for dinner....not enough to fill your freezer with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    I wish they would change that rule! last time I was up that way a HUGE beautiful wolverine crossed the road right in front of us then just sat on the side of the road for a good 45 seconds looking at us, would of loved to taken that one probably missed a once in a lifetime deal.
    Didn't have a trapping license on hand?

Itís not a simple rule to change through the BOG. I've looked into this in the past. Itís a legislative issue....state law....tougher to tackle. I don't really get it. Unfortunately I donít think it will ever change.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Well, I'll likely get flamed here, but...if that haul road is open to firearms hunting I don't think any of us will like what happens in just a short time. Like so many other areas of Alaska I've watched over the last 40+ years, technology and access by a growing number of hunters will change the area and the wildlife dynamics forever.

Personally, if that corridor opens up to shotgunning my pointing dogs and I will die with smiles on our faces. The large number of ptarmigan and sharp-tailed grouse that we would encounter would make for some very fine and experienced gun dogs. But it's not about me, or you, it's about all of us and all of the wildlife.

You're very lucky to have seen that wolverine! In my 42 or so years of being all over Alaska either on foot, floating in a raft, riding a horse, or flying above, I've yet to see a single wolverine. If you simply stepped from your truck and shot that critter I'm pretty sure it would diminish it's value to you as a trophy. The image you have of it there along that wilderness road is something to cherish for the rest of your life. Congratulations!

All just my opinion. Not meant to inflame anyone. But I've seen what has happened in the interior region, on up along the Koyukuk, and way up on the Colville and other such places. As much as I hate to say it...I hope they never open the corridor to firearms hunting. Sorry. Your "mileage" may vary, of course.

Jim

Jim,

I dont think anyone could have said it any better! "But it's not about me, or you, it's about all of us and all of the wildlife." absolutely spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    you couldnt shoot it with your bow bsj?

Aint much funner than chasing a flock of a couple hundred ptarmigan around, bow in hand. You'll get enough for dinner....not enough to fill your freezer with.
    Didnt have a bow as it wasn't a hunting trip but I have a .22 that stays in my jeep. And yes I have a trapping license and know you can shoot under the trapping license but I was under the impression you cannot shoot up there at all regardless of what license you are under. Other wise there are many chances I could of shot wolves up there under my trapping license.

+1 to Mr. McCann's "But it's not about me, or you, it's about all of us and all of the wildlife."

Doesn't matter in the end, it will never open up. For good or bad, it will never happen. Jim, well said.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Very well said Jim...no flames from me on that one. Complete agreement.

In regards to taking small game with a shotgun or air- rifle, I recently inquired at the Fairbanks Fish and Game Office. I was told "No, bow and Arrow only, not even a sling shot!" It would be nice to allow a air rifle or air pistol for bird during those hike outs. I see a lot of ptarmigan.
    Has anyone seen where the caribou are out on the Haul Road? I recently went up around July 30th and seen one bou. The wind was horrible so we called it quits and went home.

Archer 1968,

Judo points!

Well put Jim. I wholeheartedly concur with your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by archer1968 View Post
    ....Has anyone seen where the caribou are out on the Haul Road? I recently went up around July 30th and seen one bou. The wind was horrible so we called it quits and went home.
    At present, most of the hunters are between Toolik and Slope Mountain. There is a fair amount of caribou moving through. Have seen meat hanging in make-shift meat poles in most of the hunters camps. Have also seen many vehicles heading south with racks in the back.

"If you simply stepped from your truck and shot that critter I'm pretty sure it would diminish it's value to you as a trophy."

Are you allowed to shoot from the road again? Last time I was there there was a 1/4 mile off the road rule ~ even with a bow. This rule was established [ensure fair chase] to keep road hunters from jumping out of vehicles and launching arrows at fleeting bou. Only thing I saw just now after a quick search of the regs was referencing driving...

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    "If you simply stepped from your truck and shot that critter I'm pretty sure it would diminish it's value to you as a trophy."

Are you allowed to shoot from the road again? Last time I was there there was a 1/4 mile off the road rule ~ even with a bow. This rule was established [ensure fair chase] to keep road hunters from jumping out of vehicles and launching arrows at fleeting bou. Only thing I saw just now after a quick search of the regs was referencing driving...
    1/4 mile rule didn't last long.

I was up there years ago and when I was coming back through Atigun Pass there was a full curl ram standing in the road eating salt. I drove right up to him and got out of the pickup and he could have cared less. It was legal sheep season and I had a bow with me but like Jim said it would have only been a head on the wall and no good memories of a hunt to go along with it. There is more to hunting than the killing. The irony of it is that I have never shot a sheep due to the job that I had for many years not allowing me time off during the normal sheep season. Now I'm too old to do the physically demanding hunt for sheep.

I feel your pain, Contender! My right knee is shot now from a lifetime of running and it looks like a Dall sheep hunt is not going to happen in my future. But as long as I can follow my pointing dogs I'm pretty happy. I hope you have a grand season!

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast