Thread: fishing mouth of Kenai R.

Default fishing mouth of Kenai R.

Has anyone ever done well fishing the mouth of the Kenai River (besides dip netting)? It seems you could fling some lures all the way across and catch anything that's coming in. They may still have the salt water hunger going too. Either way, I think I'll surely give it a try this year.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default mouth

Have not tried it for salmon but once set a bunch of longline gear for work one spring-
    Lots of big starry flounder
    small various flounders
    tons of dogfish sharks
    one whopper of a skate

makes you think there might be some Halibut just outside the mouth-

Default The bouy

This isn't the first time I have mentioned this on this forum, but I have heard that their are halibut to be found out by the bouy beyond the mouth of the river.

Sayak, I recall you mentioning the halibut, but I'm most interested in fishing the actual river, right where it meets the saltwater, where you can stand there and cast all the way across, in hopes of getting some fresh kings. I don't think I've seen anyone fishing there, but it seems a very likely place to get some kings.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

The problem at the mouth is mostly that the water is extremely muddy... not that the river isn't muddy around cunningham and other tidal fishing holes, but it gets muddier and muddier as you get towards the mouth. I'm sure there would be a chance of catching something out there, but I wouldn't bet on it being great fishing due to the lack of visibility. but then again... folks are fishing closer and closer to the mouth every year - below the bridge this year, so maybe it's worth a try.
    i've tried halibut out there a few times and mostly caught sharks and big flounder, but did catch a couple ~15 pound halibut one time. Maybe some time and work with the GPS would produce some consistent spots.
    Mark W.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default at the mouth

I used to live on the bluff above the mouth of the river. We used to go down and fire pixies as far as we could and managed to catch kings and silvers there. We had the best luck by taking two pixies and removing the center out of one and then used a split ring to hold the two together, It made it heavier so it casted farther but i think the tink tink of the pixies banging together was the real benefit as far as catching the fish went.The water clarity is the main issue. There is a 25 foot deep hole just up from the mouth.... at least it used to be there. I have not fished it for almost 15 years but I bet when the water conditions are right that this hole holds many kings that are staging up to make their run. Might be a good spot to fish on the outgoing tide as this seems to be when they smell the river best and move in. Then I think they sit there until the tide begins to push and they go ahead and make a run. And yes, it seemed to us that these fish tended to be in ocean mode and bit very aggressivley. I have already decided I am going to spend some time sitting on it this year. See ya there!

Default Would these fish

Be considered saltwater fish, or river fish?

Talking Kenai River

Ah... I am going out on a limb here, but will say they are river fish?
    I would call them ocean fresh river fish.
    -Fresh fish from the Salt
    -Chromers with sea lice

Gotfish?,
    I made me up one of those pixie mutants, as best I could image one based on what you wrote. Then, later, I was checking some unrelated fishing regulations, and I came across this:

Sport fishing gear: Unless provided in 5 AAC 75.020 -- 5 AAC 75.049 (area-specific regulations), or by the area regulations in 5 AAC 46 -- 5 AAC 70, sport fishing may only be conducted by the use of a single line having attached to it not more than one plug, spoon, spinner, or series of spinners, or two flies, or two hooks. The line must be closely attended. The use of any explosive or toxicant for taking fish in the waters of Alaska is prohibited.

It leads me to think that I cannot use the two blades/spoons on my mutant now. For anyone...would you interpret this to mean that I can't use two blades/spoons on one pixie?

Ripface,
    the regs are refering to terminal tackle which means hooks. Two spoons linked together with one hook for the whole contraption is basically 1 lure...call it an articulated spoon.

Knocking the plastic insert out of a Pixie really cuts its drag and gets it to the bottom.

another trick for spoons is to rig a leader with a banana weight. Those lighter weight bright orange spoons by (also by Blue Fox) on a 2 foot leader and 1 oz weight is my favorite--of course water conditions dictate the weight/leader selection

Default Articulating spoon?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Ripface,
    the regs are refering to terminal tackle which means hooks. Two spoons linked together with one hook for the whole contraption is basically 1 lure...call it an articulated spoon.

Knocking the plastic insert out of a Pixie really cuts its drag and gets it to the bottom.

another trick for spoons is to rig a leader with a banana weight. Those lighter weight bright orange spoons by (also by Blue Fox) on a 2 foot leader and 1 oz weight is my favorite--of course water conditions dictate the weight/leader selection
    I don't think this would be any different than a flasher above a spoon, even though there is no leader between them.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I don't think this would be any different than a flasher above a spoon, even though there is no leader between them.
    I wonder. A jointed plug is essentially two portions of a lure attached by a split ring...some even have a treble on each part of the lure. Would this not be legal in AK as well? How is the attached spoon set-up different? Maybe a call or email to a fish and game authority would clear it up.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

I think that regulation is pertaining to lures with hooks
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Hey Gotfish

You mentioned a hole just up from the mouth... How do you access it? Is it right under the bluff? How do you reallly know where the inlet ends and the mouth begins? Any landmarks?

I was wondering the same, but I walked down there the other day and I have two good assumptions on where it is. But, it's been 15 years since he was there, so it may have shifted. I plan to probe around here sometime soon. It's before the Scout Park, and after the first dock upriver a little bit (closer to the first docks, I am assuming). It has to be in that area because I've seen the mouth in some very low tides, and the area I mentioned seemed to have quite a bit of water still....on the city side of the river.

Default deep hole

It used to be a little closer to the kenai side, a little more than half way between the canneries and the light pole.... it may have filled in a little, i do not know. But there is a deep spot not quite halfway across the river from the bluff, a little closer to the navigation lights than the cannery.... I hope this helps and I bet that when the water conditions are right this spot will produce. I am going to try bouncing in there in July. If its good, i bet its really good. See ya on the river!!