Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camo patterns

Default Camo patterns

This is the year I replace my old woodland camo. I really like the Realtree AP pattern, but am looking for opinions on other patterns (i.e. Mossy Oak's patterns). What pattern do you think is the most versatile? Most of my hunting is done in Spruce, Willows, Alders and some open burn areas.

Next, what clothing brand would you recommend? I have looked at Sitka and like their gear, but I can't bring myself to pay their price. I understand you get what you pay for, but $500 for a set is out of my budget. I have looked at Rivers West and their gear looks attractive for an attractive price, but I have not been able to find it in stock anywhere. What other brands of gear would you recommend and why?

Thanks for any and all help!

From the utility perspective of what camo offers, I don't think you'll find an animal in Alaska that can't be hunted wearing normal street colors. I've got Sitka pants and a jacket party because I couldn't find a suitable equivalent in another equivalent, nor could I pass the close out sale prices.

See the link for good feedback.

http://www.eastmans.com/exclusives/t...al-layers.html

My pile includes Minus 33 and UA base layers, Darn Tough socks, Arcteryx pants, Barneys Super Cub jacket, Sporthill 1/4 zip pullover and a few makers of fleece. Sitka pants, best and jacket to layer.

Kuiu rain gear as well, to me the outer shell layer is the most important.

My latest addition are some super sexy Komperdell gloves for those wet chilly days in the raft.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I haven't used camo. I buy quality gear for the appropriate layers and conditions, nothing too bright or flashy but as stated by TWB, it's pretty much what most would call 'street clothes'.

Go to Salvation Army and buy anything cheap & warm, if lucky it will be camo blood colored with is a month.

If your swimming in cash, buy old Brown Carhartt clothing & one can of flat black spray paint, and in can of flat Green or rust color.

My new favorite pattern is Realtree MAX-1, its great for Alaska especially up high, my hunting partners can never find me in the binocs. Here it is in moose country (shirt)
    "f/64 and be there"

Yep. We ain't turkey huntin or stand huntin waitin for a giant 13 point buck to make its way to that salt lick. Just layer up with quality synthetic and merino wool layering gear.

Stalking elk on Afognak, well that's a different story.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Awesome link! No doubt that layers are critical. This year the outer later is the one that needs replacing. Even though neutral solids would work here, I figured why not get some quality camo gear.

I think open camo patterns are the most versatile and do a better job at breaking up you outline. Look at Kuiu, Cabela's Guide pattern, or possibly the Predator camo patterns. For a little tighter pattern, I'm a big fan of Mothwing's Mountain Mimicry. Also, lighter colored patterns are typically better so you don't look like a big dark blob on the hillside.

Kuiu's website has a comparison of 4 or 5 camo patterns. They took identical field pics of a person wearing the different patterns. It might be in the forum section of the site.

Boy that new Sitka and Kryptek look awfully similar, eh?

I don't think the pattern matters too much. really you just need something to break up your outline.

not sure what you are hunting but when we hunt deer in southeast I try to wear only wool or fleace nothing that will make a loud noice if it were brushed up aginst a tree branch or bush.

Yep agree AKducks.

For clothes ... generally wear something synthetic and quiet when rubbed against itself, my pack, or against brush. Even wear combinations of pure green, browns, blacks (like black long underwear bottoms with a green shirt top). Can sit next to trees so the limbs break up the outline. And might wear orange/yellow combinations in the late season.

I don't pay attention to much to pure camo or camo patterns much anymore.. but try to dress for the elements and try to keep a favorable wind.

And probably wear hunters orange head to toe for the Tier caribou hunt though.

Quote Originally Posted by AKducks View Post
    I don't think the pattern matters too much. really you just need something to break up your outline.

not sure what you are hunting but when we hunt deer in southeast I try to wear only wool or fleace nothing that will make a loud noice if it were brushed up aginst a tree branch or bush.
    Have you had any experience with the Rivers West waterproof fleece? I have seen it in the store and seems pretty quiet. I have heard it is not very breathable, thus leading to over-heating. The one up side to reduced breathability is that the more water resistant. There is no such thing as water proof unless you're talking about Grundens in my opinion.

While I have never owned any Rivers West, the reviews I have seen all basically sum up it's not gonna keep you dry as advertised. The "kiosk" waterfall trick on the jacket apparently doesn't work in the woods.

Alpenflage is a very usable pattern in AK. Mil-surp clothes are available in it.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

TWB said it. My hunting partner has some and it will keep him dry if it is just drizzling for a short time. Any prolonged exposure will soak through and he is wet.

I usually wear what ever uncle sam issues me. I think the new multicam will blend in well on the fall tundra.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    While I have never owned any Rivers West, the reviews I have seen all basically sum up it's not gonna keep you dry as advertised. The "kiosk" waterfall trick on the jacket apparently doesn't work in the woods.
    Good to know. Is there something that will keep you dry and quiet?

I'd figure out a budget first. Quality gear does unfortunately come at a price but it doesn't always have to of you shop smart. It's taken me a long time to get all the stuff I have because I shop off season.

I've picked up some Kryptek recently. Good stuff. Good for light drizzle.

Rain past a light occasional drizzle, you need good rain gear. Helly Hansen is good, but I sweat in it.

I've had my Kuiu for 2 seasons now and is just awesome. Pretty quiet, light and breathable. I find myself wearing it even when its not raining.

If your just rifle hunting save your money on the pricey camo and look for earth tones in rei outlet, gear trade, backcountry or Sierra trading post.

I don't typically like camo...just get some earth toned clothes, watch the wind and keep your extraneous movement to a minimum. I like merino base layers, good quality synthetic outers. As mentioned- you can get some smoking' deals at REI, Campmor, etc.

Rain gear- go with Hellys. They work great and are cheap enough to replace as required.

If you're going to spend big bucks...boots and binos are the best place to start IMHO, everything else is gravy.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast