Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: homer fishing lagoon question...

  1. #1

    Default homer fishing lagoon question...

    Is it worth the drive from anchorage to Homer to let my kids fish at the lagoon? I have lived in Anchorage for a few years now, and have never made it down there. The lagoon opens Saturday. Could my kids get some fish other than pinks?

  2. #2
    Member fishak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    452

    Default

    going to homer to strictly fish the lagoon? id say its not worth it. the end of the spit would probably be more fun for them catching pollock, flounders and an occasional irish lord. pinks are fun for kids but it sounds like you might not want them, so if i was you id go to the kids only fishing at fish creek (i think this is where it is) this weekend. read somewhere that it is boiling with fish there. or even one of the valley streams to catch and release chums, they fight really good
    hook, line, sinker, done.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishak View Post
    going to homer to strictly fish the lagoon? id say its not worth it. the end of the spit would probably be more fun for them catching pollock, flounders and an occasional irish lord. pinks are fun for kids but it sounds like you might not want them, so if i was you id go to the kids only fishing at fish creek (i think this is where it is) this weekend. read somewhere that it is boiling with fish there. or even one of the valley streams to catch and release chums, they fight really good
    I'd have to second this. I don't fish the lagoon, but I drive by it every day and I haven't seen many people fishing there at all. Of course that doesn't mean it won't get better tomorrow, or even today, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  4. #4
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    Don't bother for the spit hole..
    there are 19,000 pinks in humpy creek across the bay (really, ADF&G fish count) pretty hot kid fishing.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  5. #5
    Member JR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,129

    Default

    Hey Dave, where is hunpy creek? I am down in Homer with the boat and 19k humpies sounds like fun to me.

    Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

    Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

  6. #6
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    Between the mouth of the Grewingk river and mallard bay.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Between the mouth of the Grewingk river and mallard bay.
    Thanks, Dave.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  8. #8
    Member JR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,129

    Default

    Thanks Dave, now if I can't get out to look for lings I have a backup plan.

    Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

    Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Thanks Dave, now if I can't get out to look for lings I have a backup plan.

    Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2
    If you can't get out to the ling grounds, but Pogi is fishable, I'd certainly give it a try especially if you want to get into some pinks. I've trolled there a few times in the last couple of weeks and haven't had much trouble catching pinks there. Should only get "better" in the next week or so.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •