Thread: 338-8mm rem mag Wildcat?

Default 338-8mm rem mag Wildcat?

I have another thread goin' about douglas barrels because I can get one for cheap for this wildcat. Anybody ever heard of it? Does it have a name? I know a re-barrel from 8mm rem mag to 338-8mm is kind of like spending money to split hairs.. But those heavier bullets in 338 could sure be nice. What kind of performance should I expect? Like maybe 340 wetherby or ???? Who knows could be a cool rifle. Let me know what you guys think. Would it be a total waste of time, or the coolest thing since sliced cheese

Thanks, Jake

I don't know that the conversion would bear much fruit. The 8mm has a higher case capacity than the 338 and is near the 340 but I don't know if it would be worth the expense as it wouldn't quite reach 340 Roy velocity. I believe they are both loaded to the same pressure: 54,000 cup.

It might be cool but wouldn't be worth the price to me, you'll have to decide that for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by moses42ak View Post
    I don't know that the conversion would bear much fruit. The 8mm has a higher case capacity than the 338 and is near the 340 but I don't know if it would be worth the expense as it wouldn't quite reach 340 Roy velocity. I believe they are both loaded to the same pressure: 54,000 cup.

It might be cool but wouldn't be worth the price to me, you'll have to decide that for yourself.
    Moses42ak,

I have to agree with you on the decided lack of benefits, however you would gain some volocity. The main advantage would have to be the 338 cal. itself. My selection of bullets would increase 10 fold over 8mm. I am only in this project for about 30 bucks so far. The barrel turned out to be free w. shipping being the 30 bucks. So who knows just kickin'round the idear'

Thanks, Jake

Of course I would not recommend going down the 8mm/338 road if you don't hand load. Difference between your anticipated project and a 340 Wby would prob be minimal. Case forming is always a bit of a pain...but so is paying for 340 Wby brass. You will also need custom dies. One of the main reasons the 8mm Mag is not popular is the paucity of premium bullet selection. External ballistics certainly would exceed the 338 WM...kinda like a 338 on steroids.
    Good luck.

Sounds like fun to me. Go for it and spend the money and handload and I assure you nothing in North America will stand after being shot with it. Yes, it will be work and cost you some money but I bet it will be fun and what a killer it will be on big and dangerous game. Oh, by the way, you are not recoil sensitive are you??? If you are it will kick you hard. The 8mm mag kicks very hard and this will kick even harder. If that is not a problem then go for it and I hope you have a lot of fun.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default .338 ultra mag

I own a 8mm Mag. A great gun. I am sure you would have a nice gun on your hands there. You might think about buying an .338 ultra mag. I own the .375 ultra mag and it is an awesome gun.

Default .338-8mmRM Wildcat

Hello CZ,

I know of a couple of these wildcats, one of which I own. Mine is called the .338 Jarrett and the other is the .338 Arnold. I'm not sure what the differences are but mine is blown out to minimum body taper and has a 35 deg. shoulder. I can get about 2850 fps with the 250 gr. Nosler PTN or the Kodiak bonded bullet. I've never owned the Weatherby but ballistically it should be close.

Hope this helps, Rick