Thread: Drowning Bear saved by fishermen on Upper Kenai

Thumbs up Drowning Bear saved by fishermen on Upper Kenai

Cool story and associated YT video...

http://redoubtreporter.wordpress.com...-back-to-mama/

Great video! Too bad his phone died before the cub got to shore. Two things struck me, where's mama? and MAN! that cub can scream!

That cub can certainly scream, and scream 'BEAR!, BEAR!, BEAR!'..... :)

You can really see and hear the fear in the poor cubs eyes and screams. Both my honey and I questioned where the mother was as well. Had she seen humans poking a stick at her cub she probably wouldn't have been a happy camper? But I think it's truly inspiring what they did. So many people would have just drove away, but they took the time to help the poor thing. Mother nature will be sending some good fishing karma their way.
    Lone Alaskan Gypsy
    Lover of arctic fox and northern lights.
    Reader of arctic runes. Alaskan storyteller. Handcrafted trinket trader. Grower of organic plants.
    Find me online at www.lonealaskangypsy.com and at fairs, markets, and festivals around AK.

I hate seeing animals suffer but with all the brown bear problems and the over population of browns on the KP and f&g doing nothing to even attempt to control the exploding numbers it is hard to say if I would have saved it or not. So another brown bear lives say good bye to a few more of our dwindling moose population. But who knows if I was in that position I may have thought different

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

According to the article, the Sow was on the beach with the other cub as they approached in their boat. The Sow retreated into the woods as they got to the cub, but it came right back when the cub got to shore.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    According to the article, the Sow was on the beach with the other cub as they approached in their boat. The Sow retreated into the woods as they got to the cub, but it came right back when the cub got to shore.
    I'm amazed she didn't swim out or at least pace the beach angrily at the humans. She must be a young mom if she just let her cub get that close to people without going massacre on their a-double-s. I don't know that much about bears, but I know that most of the sows out here would swim across the Yukon River to beat a person down for touching their cub (slight exaggeration... but you get the point).
    Lone Alaskan Gypsy
    Lover of arctic fox and northern lights.
    Reader of arctic runes. Alaskan storyteller. Handcrafted trinket trader. Grower of organic plants.
    Find me online at www.lonealaskangypsy.com and at fairs, markets, and festivals around AK.

Perhaps momma didn't want the noisy little guy to make it across the river!

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    ....with all the brown bear problems and the over population of browns on the KP and f&g doing nothing to even attempt to control the exploding numbers....
    Yes, agreed they did nothing for far too long, but you do realize there is a tentative registration hunt for them come Oct.....right? But I imagine it not staying open that long depending on how many DLPs there are this summer. BTW.....has anybody heard?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yes, agreed they did nothing for far too long, but you do realize there is a tentative registration hunt for them come Oct.....right? But I imagine it not staying open that long depending on how many DLPs there are this summer. BTW.....has anybody heard?[/QUOTE]

I have herd about the registration hunt coming up but I do not have high hopes of there actually being a hunt at all. Before the drawing hunts they had a spring and fall registration hunt but only opened the season for a few hours in about ten years time.
    I have herd that the number of bears allowed to be killed still has not changed so that means that the season most likely will not open at all due to dlp and we will be back to square one with no open seasons.
    I did talk to a lady at the refuge headquarters and she said the survey that was done to try and get an estimate of brown bear numbers should be coming out any time. As far as those numbers the only thing I have herd from f&g is that there is a lot more bears than previously thought. (wow there is a shocker). They have not released those numbers yet because they want multiple sources to have a chance to confirm the numbers before making them public. I hope that means that there senses is way high and they will make a liberal hunting season for them without giving the greenies a chance to block it.
    I am not sure how many dlp's there have been this year but in May I believe the number was up to four already but that was months ago so I am sure there have been plenty more, and I think I would be safe at saying there has been enough to already cancel the fall reg hunt unless the allowable harvest was raised.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    and I think I would be safe at saying there has been enough to already cancel the fall reg hunt unless the allowable harvest was raised.
    I wouldn't doubt that at all.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!