Thread: Skilak Lake & Kenai River

Default Skilak Lake & Kenai River

Hello All, so i got very lucky and was able to buy a cabin on Skilak lake this summer and had a blast fishing and working on it. Now i am trying to extend the useful months of the cabin. Has anyone done any duck hunting down there. I am not asking for "spots" i will find my own in time. just some general pointers and do and do not's. One question is when does duck hunting get hot on the KP?

I have heard that Skilak has some excellent duck hunting, espeically after the northern birds move down, around the first of Oct. Big danger there however, the wind can come up very quickly and small duck boats would be dangerous trying to cross. Should locate a emergency shelter in the area you plan to hunt, just in case. Bud
    Wasilla

i have hunted it and have done decent. skilak and the kenai.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Thanks for the intel all, akblackdawg you are right about the wind, i was unable to make it to the cabin once this summer due to wind and rough water. Nice to have a place when i can get to it, but nothing worth getting hurt over. I was going to use my big boat to get back in a few of the bays i have been looking at then set up and hike or use a raft. Keep up the good ideas, thanks all

Some riends of mine tell me they used to do well on the lake and river back in the 80's I guess.
    Just remember if you decide to hunt the river to watch out for rafts and driftboats. More and more people are fishing rainbows on the upper river and later into the year even in winter these days.
    Good luck.Should be some fun hunting.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

is there a motor restriction on the upper river for non fisherman, or is that just for fishing boats. Bud
    Wasilla

No motors on the upper river at all, middle river is up to 50 hp at the motor head, up to 35 hp if its a 2 stroke. no 2strokes in july

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    is there a motor restriction on the upper river for non fisherman, or is that just for fishing boats. Bud

Yes there are motor restreictions yearround upstream of Skilak lake to river mile 80.7.
    There is also a restriction from March 15 until June 14 from river mile 47 upstream to the outlet of Skilak lake.
    So upstream of the lake would be restricted during duck season although I doubt you would try it anyway with a motor boat.
    The main reason I mention it is rafts and driftboats can quietly sneak around a corner or whatever and easily enter your shooting lanes without you realizing it. So be careful if shooting in areas near where people may be trout fishing.
    I could easily see a scenario where a rafter kicks up some ducks and as you swing around on the now airborne ducks a guy realizes too late that there is a boat in the direction he is shooting that has stirred the ducks up.
    On the other hand the lake should not give you many issues with fishermen.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Me and a few friends used to duck hunt right at the mouth of the Kenai where it leaves Skilak. Used to be decent hunting at times, but that was years ago and I haven't been in a long time. Be prepared to use a good dog, or get to your downed birds with a raft or canoe pretty quick, or you may loose them to the eagles.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!