Thread: Douglas Barrels any good?

Default Douglas Barrels any good?

Just wondering if these barrels are any good. I think I found a good deal on one for a 338-8mm rem mag wildcat. I'm waitting to here back from the owner he has apparently had it for about 10 yrs. and never put it on his rifle because he bought a 358 STA barrel at the same time. Don't know that I'd re-barrel my BIG 8..... but I might as well pick the barrel up if it's a good enough deal. He also said it has a "deep cut throat." What exactly is that? How are douglas barrel's made? Good quality or not worth even messin' with?

Thanks, Jake

Of course they are good barrels....They are made in West Virginia...

Let some good ol' boys go wild with some lathes, ovens, and metal-working tools....you get Douglas Barrels. Have one (30-06), great barrel, 1/2 MOA with factory loads. I would recommend one.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Default Douglas barrels

I have one on a 6.5-06. It is a great shooter less than 1" with most bullet I have used in it.

Talking cz

I'll go along with the other folks here. Can't go wrong with one. I have one put on my 8mm-338 mag wildcat and it's a tremendous shooter. Doesn't matter what I run through it, largest group ever was 1 inch and honed it to 3/8". like I've said before, good enough to hunt with this dog. When finished, you should have a beast. God luck with it.

Default Douglas

Their barrels seem fine. I guess they fall in the middle of the road category in price. I currently have two. Both shoot fine. Some won't use them because they ran into a lemon... but that may be true with any barrel manufacturer? The best, most expensive barrel in the world won't shoot if its not chambered and screwed in right or if the action, ammo, bedding, etc. are crooked or poor. On the flipside, a perfectly trued action, custom chambering and mounting, with carefully crafted ammo and best bedding, stock, etc. won't make a poor or so so barrel shoot.

I was having a custom rifle built and it had a Sako receiver and trigger group with composite stock and Douglas match grade barrel. Well when the gunsmith finished we could not get it to shoot tight groups. The rifle was passed to two other class A gunsmiths and they both concluded that the barrel was not made right which was what my gunsmith thought but he wanted to make sure. So he put a Lilja barrel on it and it will shoot with my pet load from .388"-.224" with most groups measuring .284. Oh it is my 30-06 Ackley Imp. Of the three gunsmiths two of them have in the last two years had a sub-standard Douglas barrel show up on one rifle and one of those was the one I just mentioned. But to be fair they have also had some great shooters from Douglas barrel in that same time frame.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

beartooth, and others thanks for the replies!

Default inspect it

If it has been sitting in storage for 10 years inspect it with a bore scope for moisture damage like corrosion.

If it looks good then buy it.

Long cut throat means some rifling is trimmed to accommodate longer bullets or bullets seated out further.(not to be confused with freebore which is where rifling is totally removed)

I say inspect because some people blow in barrels first before oiling/greasing to get fuzzies out from cleaning.

I have seen this trap lung/breath moisture in between the oil or grease layer and barrel and cause corrosion over time.

Hope this helps.

jedi