Thread: Best time of Tide for Fishing Kodikas Streams?

Default Best time of Tide for Fishing Kodikas Streams?

I fished Kodiaks streams (roadside) once in 2007 for 3 weeks. I caught well (silvers) and did not care a lot about the tides. I always was catching best in the early hours of the day.
    For my next trip in September, I will not have so much time, so my fishing should be in the best hours. Beside of going early for fishing: What do you think are the best times for fishing for silvers in those streams?
    Starting fishing 2 Hours before high tide?
    What is your experience concerning the tides?

Thank you for sharing!

http://hansmetzler.me/2012/05/kodiak...is-not-enough/

Hans

If down by the mouths I always liked a dropping tide, fish from High to low. But I never really pay to much attention to tide, when i wana fish I jsut go. I've caught lots of fish, had some of my best days when everyone else stayed home because the tides weren't right. By that ime of year most of teh fish will be in teh rivers, ya silvers still coming in, but most will be up the rivers. although the way this year is shaping out, who knows.

incoming tide at a mouth is productive; both for the angler and the harbor seal
    the further upstream, the less you will notice tidal effects, plus the seals will still be in the bay
    always fish early when fish are less wise due to arrival...

rosenberg; kodiak, ak
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Bernard are you in Kodiak right now?

Im here for a week send me a pm.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

You usually can catch fish no matter the tide but i have found it can vary per watershed... as a general rule of thumb for me if i'm strictly fishing the rivers the last few hours of incoming are the best.

However If i'm fishing silvers I really prefer to go after them in the lakes or ocean as you get to experience their full power instead of in kodiaks streams which are small and don't have much room for the fish to run. I'm not sure what part of september you will be here but if it's early september i would strongly recommend wading the flats at kalsin around low tide searching for tailing or rolling silvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak Commando View Post
    I'm not sure what part of september you will be here but if it's early september i would strongly recommend wading the flats at kalsin around low tide searching for tailing or rolling silvers.
    I will arrive Sept. 14th. Fishing the flats with fly - is that OK?

fly will get them
    so will spinner

pick your poison

i'll be the guy in the red pick-up with another tourist from fl
    spin fishermen

i frequent the russian and salonie creek when the water is up
    myrtle beach when it is down
    mill bay when i am just plain lazy...

rosenberg; kodiak, ak

hot soup in the thermos, always...
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"