Thread: Ivishak Info

Default Ivishak Info

This will be the first time running up the Ivishak for me this year. I've got a 16 foot crestliner flat bottom with evinrude outboard jet and I was wondering if anybody would be willing to offer up some advice or lessons learned from their previous excursions. I've read quite a few posts on the river conditions (shallow) but there wasn't much info posted on what "to do" and what "not to do".

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Bgarcher

Bgarcher,
    As my Dads advice to those that have not run the rivers, Sag/Ivishak is to "go light" figure the channel out mark it if needed, and remember that if your stuck don't expect some to stop and help you right there. I will run to a deeper spot and come back and see if help is needed. If the stuck person gives me the thumbs up I will continue on. There are Videos on Sag/Ivishak River on You Tube. They won't help you with the channel per-say but should give you and Idea of whats there. When are you going?
    Rob
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

To expand some from what Rob said...The launch site is north of Pump 2 and it is shallow. Plan to launch with an empty boat, then put your gear in. Back fast a slam on brakes, boat should pop off trailer easier. One channel heading south (up river) to the west (Haul road side) and you will follow mostly to the right until you get to the Ivashak which is large and flows from the south east (left of you). If you get to the bak side of Pump 2, you have gone to far and need to head back north (down stream). The Ivashak mouth is easier to find heading down stream IMHO. Take at least one extra jet foot with you. Make plans in advance on what you need to pull yourself off of a sand/gravel bar because we all end up there at one time or another. If you see someone in trouble, like Rob said, get to deep water and then see if you can help...just taking someone to the launch can mean a lot. Go light your first trip, but make plans to take enough gear to last 2-3 days if you run into problems. Use your GPS at all times. Once you have done a run, then go back and get the extras/heavy gear, fuel, etc.. Have a camerafrom the start. Have fun.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Thanks Roger.

That was the initial plan to head in light and plot the river for a 3-4 day outing then come back out for a drive up to prudhoe for a good dinner, washing some clothes, gas, and ptarmigan hunting then heading back up river for another 3-4 days.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Bgarcher

It's a great trip. Take your time, when you get in a hurry you tend to make mistakes. Lots of fishing for Greyling and possibly Char if you time it right. Lots of birds (ptarmigan) as well. Get on step quickly and try to stay on step in the skinny stuff. Trust your GPS on the way out, and stay on step...if you try floating over the skinny you will get stuck 9 out of 10 times. Limiting factor is fuel. Rob and Pat use to camp at the launch and do day trips which allow you more freedom and to go light, but the down side is all the fuel you have to carry. Enjoy the trip and good hunting.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather