Thread: Flies For Muddy Water

Default Flies For Muddy Water

What kind of flies work the best on muddy water, kinda like the same conditions as the mouth of Ship Creek???

When the water is very very muddy it is hard for me to get a fish to strike at one of my flies. I have come to the conclusion that it might be too muddy for them to see any flies at all.

Thanks
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."
    -Henry David Thoreau

There is such a thing as too muddy, but they'll hit in muddier water than most people realize. The trick is to "help" them see your flies.

We used to do a lot of winter steelhead fishing in muddy water on the west coast. Lotta looking at flies in the water showed that black was best for viz. But that doesn't mean you can only use black flies. We used dominant black colors, but with other colors added for highlights. Another thing we did was add black bear top and bottom to standard flies, as well as sub black marabou tails on standard patterns.

Can't say if that will be enough for Ship Creek, cuzz I really don't know the place. But on some of our favorite rivers we've added a lot to our salmon catch during flood periods by adding black.

Black flies (or dark purple) cast a strong silhouette in muddy, silty, turbid waters. Much more so than "bright" colors (orange, chartreuse, pink, etc). Leeches are a good bet, with marabou / rabbit providing good movement in the water. A little flash can help reflect whatever light makes it through the turbidity. Bigger flies, bigger silhouette.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Dangit BrownBear! You beat me to the punch haha!

Cheers,
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    Dangit BrownBear! You beat me to the punch haha!

Cheers,
    Rich
    That is soooooooooooo rare on my dialup, it makes me proud!

Good additions on the size, leech and purple. A buddy claims that adding glow material helps too, but it's never really worked for me. Probably haven't tried it enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    That is soooooooooooo rare on my dialup, it makes me proud!

Good additions on the size, leech and purple. A buddy claims that adding glow material helps too, but it's never really worked for me. Probably haven't tried it enough.
    Lol. A couple years ago I bought a bunch of glow flashabou in a multitude of colors and tied up a bunch of everglows and similar patterns thinking "man these things are going to be awesome!". But I've yet to actually fish them enough to have any real opinion. Something else in my fly box always looks more fishy. Haha. I do often add a few strands of glow material to various patterns but no idea if it makes any difference versus standard patterns.

Great point on incorporating black into different patterns and using accent colors. I can't remember if there's actually a name for the pattern, but I like black woolly buggers with a rabbit strip of accent color tied in on the top zonker-style.

Cheers,
    Rich

Changing the shape so the fly pushes more water will also help fish notice it. Muddler design can be good that way.