Thread: Sig Sauer 1911, 45 ACP TACOPS Magazine Question

Default Sig Sauer 1911, 45 ACP TACOPS Magazine Question

Greetings!

The issue:
    Sig Sauer 1911, TACOPS model in 45 ACP - 8 round mags.

The factory mags work flawlessly but I can't find them locally. I picked up a Chip McCormic 8 round mag and it caught against the slide preventing slide movement. I took that thing back. I surfed the web and other TACOPS owners use the Chip McCormic Power Mag so I got that. It was fine except that it did not catch the slide stop to lock the slide back when empty. Well, I still am seeking to find a brand that works well that I can pick up locally. Yes, I'm aware that the obvious answer is to purchase Sig Sauer mags but, again, I want to find a compatible mag in the local area.

Have any of you experienced the same problem? If you have experience with this then can you recommend a quality magazine that I should try?

Thank you to all!

MyTime

By the way: It's been 25 years since I've owned a 45 cal 1911 and I don't recall having issues getting functional mags back then.
    MyTime

I have the Sig Sauer Blackwater, it is the model that preceded the Tac Ops if I am not mistaken. Mine has been 100% with the Sig mags as well as C. McCormic Shooting Stars, and S&W brand 1911. I believe the Sig Sauer mags are made by ACT. About the best mag I have found and that are available locally are Wilson Combat 47D's or the same brand ETM's I believe they are called, same basic mag as 47D's, but with a base plate to match the mag well. Can't go wrong with the Wilson's IMHO, but they are fairly pricey. Can find them online for about $33 each, locally for $35-39. My Blackwater has not had any type failures in about 100-1500 rounds fired most of which have been my various reloads.

HUNTERJKL,

I'll write down the mags you listed and see if I can find them this weekend. I've had a 3.3 inch SIG 1911 for about 6 weeks. I like that little carry pistol so much I got the bigger brother TACOPS. Even thought they don't have a lot of rounds through them yet they both have functioned flawlessly. Thanks for the mag info!

MyTime
    MyTime

Hey, no problem. I think in Anchorage, the Wilson mags can be found at GNG and AK Tactical for starters. I would imagine that WWG would also have decent variety of 1911 mags as they sell 1911 handguns. I reckon opinions will vary, but I really like the Wilson's and the plastic style followers as opposed to the steel CM followers. I know in my Kimber CDP II, aluminum frame, I will only shoot the plastic followers to prevent any feed ramp damage from the steel type followers.

I am amazed at how accurate my full sized Sig Blackwater is considering the amount of play the slide/frame fit has?? From other posts I have read, this is common on the Sig Blackwater, not sure of the Tac Ops, but it does not affect accuracy as lock up is tight. Mine is a real one hole'er shooting my LSWC hand loads!

why not just order up some sig mags?

[QUOTE=HUNTERKJL;I am amazed at how accurate my full sized Sig Blackwater is considering the amount of play the slide/frame fit has?? From other posts I have read, this is common on the Sig Blackwater, not sure of the Tac Ops, but it does not affect accuracy as lock up is tight. Mine is a real one hole'er shooting my LSWC hand loads![/QUOTE]

I've got only a hundred or so rounds through this pistol and I'm still getting used to firing it. So far I am pleased. The slide is tight on the frame and there is no play. The barrel is pretty tight in the barrel bushing; I can't wiggle it with my finger tip. From my little experience with it I think it will go where I point it more often that where I want to have been pointing it...probably more accurate than I am.

Today in the afternoon I received the following email (I share this in case this may help you):

The fa
    ctory mags that came with your TacOps are these:Check-Mate .45ACP, 8RD, SS, Hybrid - Full Size 1911 Magazine

Check-Mate Gov't 1911 .45 CAL stainless steel extended magazine with a 8RD capacity, removable base, Check-Mate flat follower with dimple, hybrid feed lips, numbered witness holes and a Hi-Performance 8RD magazine spring. SKU: CM45-8-S-RB-EXT

IN STOCK
    Price $21.95
    URL: www.topgunsupply.com

For $22.00 that sounds good. I'll probably order a few this week. I'll also look in the local area for the brands you mentioned this weekend.

To Wildalaska, You are correct with ordering original magazines! I wanted to find a compatible, functional magazine in a local source (Fort Campbell) so I could walk right in and get a few if/when I feel the urge or have some extra $ rolling around in my pocket.

Thanks guys!

MyTime