Thread: DAGG NABB BEES!!!!! and then oops... GREAT FRIGGIN IDEA!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default DAGG NABB BEES!!!!! and then oops... GREAT FRIGGIN IDEA!

smoking fish requires a lot of screens and drip pans, air drying, etc.. seems as soon as i get my fish out here come the yellow jackets..

being as allergiac to them as i am.. i try to avoid a confrontation with them at all cost... so over the years i have learned some deadly accuracy with my ball cap..

but to day was just too much for me. and then, the light went off.

my smoke sits next to the grill.. as one set is about to be done i like to get the next set out and let them dry.. ( see bee problem above) all my racks were bee covered asap.... and what am i to do? the grill is just sitting there ....

so... i put them IN the grill, after a good cleaning, and spaying pam on the grill covers and closed the lid.. the bees were more then a little ticked at this point... trying to figure a way in.. and becoming more of a pester to me

but heres the rub...

while running a somker we generate hot coals and smoldering chips at pans changes... so i have been dumping my pan into a disposable 10x10 aluminum backing pan.. the kind you get at sams.. 50 for 3 bucks..

so here i am.. got a bunch of pissed off bees, a grill full of dripping fillets, a hot pan of ashes...

into grill on top rack goes the smoking ash pan... and i closed the lid on the bees..

bees leave out the rotisarie holes FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

, fish drys, drips, no bugs on it... and cold smoke sets in a tad sooner..

to top it off.. for clean up..

I lit the grill and burned the drips off.. All done.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I have had a little run in with some yellow jackets my self Vince.....I couldn't believe the size of this hive and couldn't believe that I didn't notice it as it was being constructed. It was extremely close to my backyard door and close to where my boys play. Because I have 3 year old boys it had to be removed. I hosed it down and dodged many attacks on me but I got rid of it. However, they are still about 20 or so of them hanging aroung the site where the hive was. The amount of bees in that hive was just crazy!
    558194_10151126178973454_1432754904_n.jpg

376194_10151126179103454_1734935371_n.jpg

If possible one should wait until later in the evening and kill them with spray of other means. If a lot of them are out they will just rebuild close by.

Thought of trying smoked bee, Vince? I'm sure with the right brine they'd be terrific! Someone in the world would think so, at least.

Never hose down a wasp nest. You didn't accomplish anything by doing that. A disturbed nest will simply cause the wasps to "swarm", which means they move to a new nest site. With a large nest, they will often break into multiple groups and you just turned one nest into 2 or 3 nearby.

Buy a can of foaming wasp spray. Wait until after midnight. Quietly take up a position where you can hit the entrance hole with the first spray. Hit the nest hard, plugging the entrance immediately, and keep spraying until the nest is saturated from top to bottom. Go to bed. Mechanically remove the nest the next morning.

As to dealing with wasps showing up in your work area... get a 5 gallon bucket and some bailing wire. Put a few inches of water in the bottom and add a couple drops of dishwashing soap. Take a little strip of salmon skin with some fatty meat attached. A piece about an inch wide and about 3 inches long in perfect. Rig the bailing wire to hang this piece of fish in the center of the bucket with the bottom of the fish about an inch above the surface of the water. Place this near your work area. The wasps will go to the meat, take a bite and drop off to fly away. When they hit the surface of the water they become trapped because the soap breaks the surface tension. You'll have a bucket full of dead wasps in no time at all.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

personally with hanging nests... i like a 12 guage with skeet shot just at dark when they are all home.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    personally with hanging nests... i like a 12 guage with skeet shot just at dark when they are all home.
    The more carnage the better! Although hosing it down may have not been the most effective way to handle the nest, it was sure fun! And I can tell you a great deal of wasps dropped from being wet. They were smashed up. I couldn't belive the amount of spiders around the grass area under the nest that were just taking no prisoners! Pretty cool