Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help....Help a 300 AAC Blackout is want to move in.

Default Help....Help a 300 AAC Blackout is want to move in.

Request all of the negative reasons not to own a 300 AAC Blackout Upper.

Iíll be glad to help one not move in on ya . . . just PM me your bank info and problem solved.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

If it's an AR get it...they make a fine <300 yd gun but most will not feed 110gr RN Carbine bullets.

How'd I do?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Ammo is costly, no bulk buy. It's subsonic with the 210 grain match bullets. It's ballistics are no better than the 7.62x39. Its a waste of 221 fireball brass. If you get one all your friends will waste your expensive ammo. Your 5.56 upper will be jealous, it might fail in a tight spot.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I don't see any advantage over the 6.8SPC especially in the updated SpecII chambers with 1:10 - 1:12 twist barrels. The lone exception is if you were inclined to shoot subsonic ammo with a can.

If you get the 300 you'll have to have the can for it as well; we all know what that entails. You'll get blamed for all knids of covert stuff in the neighborhood and I'll have to come over and test it to make sure"it's safe".
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

So prepped brass is $110/1000 (www.allweatherarms.com), bullet choice is huge, zero real recoil, great 'stopping power' than 223 out (within 300 yds ish), factory ammo is become more available and cheaper.

Sorry ya wanted negatives...............eeeerm, ya cant use cheap, nasty bulk 223 ammo in it

FYI, got my upper from Red X Arms; Stainless fluted 16" 1:10 twist, custom brake, alloy railed free float forend, flat-top (no BCG or Charge handle) - $390 shipped to Kodiak. 8 days from order to receipt and it is sweeeeeeeeet.

I was think about a 8" to 10" barrel for my pistol only lower.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post

Why? Is there a reason for it other than iwaanit

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I've built a couple 8" and they aren't easy to get tuned. The best short barrel is the 1 in 8" twist Wilson Combat 11" SS. Shoots everything with a carbine buffer and spring and is nice as an SBR or pistol. The one I built for myself has a 2-7x Burris with an Aimpoint T1 on top of that and it will do most deer or smaller under 300 yds. I have a 16" also and it shoots just a little bit flatter than the 11".

That said...don't get one...you'll hate it!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

A soldier here, Afghanistan, has one at home he doesnt use it because it is not accurate enough past 100yds.

6.5 Grendel is much better, (kicks the stuffing out of the 6.8 and 7.62x39 soviet), more ammo will be coming soon, it has been listed SAAMI for about a year now.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    A soldier here, Afghanistan, has one at home he doesnt use it because it is not accurate enough past 100yds.

6.5 Grendel is much better, (kicks the stuffing out of the 6.8 and 7.62x39 soviet), more ammo will be coming soon, it has been listed SAAMI for about a year now.
    Boy! I agree about the Grendel. That is one impressive long line rifle. I have an AA overwatch configuration upper. That was a good idea. A 6 PPC neck to 6.5. Lots of 6.5 bullets to choose from.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    I've built a couple 8" and they aren't easy to get tuned. The best short barrel is the 1 in 8" twist Wilson Combat 11" SS. Shoots everything with a carbine buffer and spring and is nice as an SBR or pistol. The one I built for myself has a 2-7x Burris with an Aimpoint T1 on top of that and it will do most deer or smaller under 300 yds. I have a 16" also and it shoots just a little bit flatter than the 11".

That said...don't get one...you'll hate it!!
    I would think it's SBR performance would be better then the 6.8 or 5.56. It has the characteristics, similar to the 7.62x39. I'm not thrilled abut this sub-sonic 200 grain load. I don't think you hear the one that gets ya anyway but 125-135 grains from about 11"bbl would make a good house gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Boy! I agree about the Grendel. That is one impressive long line rifle. I have an AA overwatch configuration upper. That was a good idea. A 6 PPC neck to 6.5. Lots of 6.5 bullets to choose from.

I had Mark at PrecisionFirearms build my AR upper for me, i also have a MGM TC ENCORE in 6.5 Grendel... shoots the wings off of flies.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I would think it's SBR performance would be better then the 6.8 or 5.56. It has the characteristics, similar to the 7.62x39. I'm not thrilled abut this sub-sonic 200 grain load. I don't think you hear the one that gets ya anyway but 125-135 grains from about 11"bbl would make a good house gun.
    Yes Sir...that's my new house gun...very loud....with 110's which are explosive and cause a great deal of tissue destruction...not a good varmint round if you want the hide...but...as a human disruptor it far out classes the 5.56.

The Grendel (or it's spawns) is a fine cartridge for long range but inside 300 yds the 6.8 does just about as good and since I have several I've never made the jump in the AR. For a bolt there are many just as good or better 6.5's out there so I can't get too excited about the round in a bolt gun. For the AR it is a fine round.

One of the reasons I like the .300BO is that everything is the same except the barrel and it does come close to the 7.62x39 and almost a .30-30 with light bullets. AR mags feed flawlessly with super or subsonic loads.

Try some 225 Hornady BTHP..they might work if the SMK's don't. I'm just using a YHM Phantom..nothing fancy.

I agree re the Grendel. Im a long time 6.5 freakazoid. We just built a long range 6.5 hogslayer for my buddy in N. Texas, so we got a bunch of ammo in....I see an upper in my future

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    I agree re the Grendel. Im a long time 6.5 freakazoid. We just built a long range 6.5 hogslayer for my buddy in N. Texas, so we got a bunch of ammo in....I see an upper in my future
    6.5mm and 7mm are magic...I love em too!!

Upsides to Blackout:
    All parts are the same besides the barrel
    Huge Bullet choice from 110 to 220gr
    Brass is cheap and available if you don't want to convert it from .223/5.56 (which is easy)
    Better than .223 out of a shorter barrel. Subsonics are sweet, and supers duplicate 7.62x39 without the feeding issues

Downsides:
    past 12" barrel, you start to lose velocity
    pistol gas system usually (some carbine)
    $130/200 for factory high quality ammo
    you'll build another AR
    Need a suppressor to get the best of it

Downsides:
    past 12" barrel, you start to lose velocity...Depends upon the powder/bullet combo and the 16" doesn't cause the SBR cost and hassle.

pistol gas system usually (some carbine)...why would you screw up a perfectly good DI gun with a piston?

you'll build another AR...Remington is pretty cheap outside...not sure about in the 49th.

Need a suppressor to get the best of it...yes...unless you just want an AR for medium game <300 yds.

I'm not trying to sell Black Outs but I think you get a pretty fair upgrade from the 5.56 AR for the price of a barrel and you get none of the issues some times suffered with the other bigger bore AR mods like the 6.8. and 7.62-39.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Downsides:
    past 12" barrel, you start to lose velocity...Depends upon the powder/bullet combo and the 16" doesn't cause the SBR cost and hassle.

pistol gas system usually (some carbine)...why would you screw up a perfectly good DI gun with a piston?

you'll build another AR...Remington is pretty cheap outside...not sure about in the 49th.

Need a suppressor to get the best of it...yes...unless you just want an AR for medium game <300 yds.

I'm not trying to sell Black Outs but I think you get a pretty fair upgrade from the 5.56 AR for the price of a barrel and you get none of the issues some times suffered with the other bigger bore AR mods like the 6.8. and 7.62-39.
    I'll agree that the 16" barrel is the easiest, unless you want to do a pistol build, but it was my understanding (from the blackout forum and arfcom) that most loads start losing some velocity past 12" or so.

I said PISTOL gas system (shortest gas tube) as far as I know, nobody has gotten a piston setup to work on the blackout without severe modification on the system.

That said, I do agree that you get a heck of an upgrade for minimum cost with the blackout. I'm planning on building a suppresssed sbr once the funds are available for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast