Thread: Opener

Default Opener

What's everybody going to do for the beginning of the season. I wanted to make a trip up the Denali or something but with the way setnetting went here in cook inlet I'll have to stay closer to kenai. I got the old dog on a few birds the other day when we were out walking.

We tried an area on Ft Rich yesterday that used to hold a few birds. Seems the black spruce beetle kill trees have transformed much of the forest floor since being stationed at Elmendorf a dozen years ago. Much of the spruce has fallen making cross country travel difficult for both hunter as well as dogs. Not only are these deadfalls tough to negotiate [had to really watch the dogs' chests on horizontal broken branches ~ huge potential for injury], the increased light seemed to have produced way more devils club [some bumper crops well in excess of 6 feet in places] and alder undergrowth than before. Dogs got "birdy" in two places but we couldn't produce a single bird. Anyone noticing similar transformations in their areas? Other than it being pretty warm yesterday , we had a great 4-hour walk/workout. Here's a picture of our GWP's cooling off in a muddy spring.
    Bird Opener 2012 009.jpg

I went out to mystery creek road to check it out no birds the old man didn't even get birds except on a few snipe on a pond. I didn't see any rabbits either. I saw a lot of coyote and bear crap and a few wolf tracks. But like you we got a nice 3.5 hour walk about.

Quote Originally Posted by catchfish View Post
    I went out to mystery creek road to check it out no birds the old man didn't even get birds except on a few snipe on a pond. I didn't see any rabbits either. I saw a lot of coyote and bear crap and a few wolf tracks. But like you we got a nice 3.5 hour walk about.
    Snipe are waterfowl, and waterfowl season doesn't open until September 1st...

Yeah I know about the snipe I didnt shoot them but the dog did find them. I know my waterfowl regs thanks though

Quote Originally Posted by catchfish View Post
    Yeah I know about the snipe I didnt shoot them but the dog did find them. I know my waterfowl regs thanks though
    Oh the old man is your dog! I gotcha now. I used to call my lab the same thing, but in your post I thought you were referring to a person. My bad.

Spent Friday morning on Oil Well Rd going almost to the end, just road hunting. Figured I'd get that out of the way before the weekend hordes showed up. Didn't see even a feather of a bird. Let the dog work long sections at a time. Nothing. Saturday spent about 2-3 hours working a creek behind our property, checking gravel bars, and also walking the ridge between a marsh and the creek. Nothing. Found some moose tracks that might pay out for my girlfriend's dad next week. My son got to see a part of the property he's never been on. Got to fall (jump perhaps?) into the creek. Pick blueberries. Shrug.

Although the upland season is open, it's still a bit early to find birds like you will later in September. The adults are molting and the hens are still laying low with their broods. But fall is in the air, and in no time we will be franticly trying to make good use of the little time we have before the snow arrives again to cover the land for many months.

Good hunting!

Jim

I don't want to rub it in but I was able to take down a rock ptarmigan with each of my first two shots of the season. Those birds occupy some interesting habitat and wandering the craggy stuff along the Denali Hwy wasn't the worst time I've ever had. We definitely ran into hens with broods but the dog and shotgun barrels saw some action.
    Go Big Red!

Which end of the Denali were you on? We're heading up to the Paxon side to look for some Ptarmigan and do a little grayling fishing. I've never hunted birds up there before. Will have the wife along and would really like to see her get a chance at one.

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    I don't want to rub it in but I was able to take down a rock ptarmigan with each of my first two shots of the season. Those birds occupy some interesting habitat and wandering the craggy stuff along the Denali Hwy wasn't the worst time I've ever had. We definitely ran into hens with broods but the dog and shotgun barrels saw some action.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    Which end of the Denali were you on?

Paxson side. Ptarmigan aren't unlike caribou in that you will find them where they are. We saw more willow ptarmigan than anything and found just as many during caribou stalks as we did with the dog targetting them. Best of luck. Hope your bride scores a nice brace.
    Go Big Red!

Thanks for the response and PM info too. Best of luck in return!

I'm trying to get a trip planned to paxson in sept I might pm you for info if you don't mind

Shoot PG13 had one heck of an opener and even let me keep his wings for training. One helluva guy!

Here's some breasts getting ready for the fry. I love tender breasts!

2.jpg
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Only found one single Willow Ptarmigan but grateful for the dogs being able to get birdy, point and retrieve again. I think there may have been a lot of pressure on the area [though I didn't see any other bird hunters]. Also kept the wings to work the dogs around the yard.