Thread: Barney's Packs - Pinnacle vs. Yukon

Default Barney's Packs - Pinnacle vs. Yukon

I'm going to buy one of these two packs. I'm just looking for some feedback (pros & cons) of each from people who own and use them.

Thanks!

I had a pinnacle and hated only having one opening at the top. No matter how many times I reorganized it whatever I needed was always at the bottom of the darn thing requiring me to empty it all out and completely repack. The yukon as I recall is basically a pinnacle with a zipper to access the bottom. Organizing a pack should be based on load balance first and foremost and the yukon should let you do that while still being able to access your gear easily.

I never really had a problem with organization really. There are enough pockets on the outside of the pack you can get to your snacks, raingear, spotter/tripod, rifle, water filter, and whatever else you could possibly need during a day without ever even unsnapping the top lid. When you get into camp who cares where it is in your pack as you are pulling the rest of your gear ( tent, pad, sleeping bag, clothes, whatever else) all out of your pack anyways. Just leave the tent on top and the bag is on the bottom as thats the last thing I'll grab out of the bag.

With all the pockets I can't figure out why anyone would have trouble organizing their gear in such a way that would cause them to need to dive into the main part of their pack during a day unless its to put an animal in there.

Personally, if I were to buy another Barney's I'd buy the Pinnacle over the Yukon to save a bit of weight as I never use the sleeping bag compartment zippers on the packs I have now even though I have them on there. Just different strokes for different folks.

I had a "Hunter" with the bottom zip and now use a "Pinnacle". Don't really miss the zip at all. The only thing that went down there was my sleeping bag, and since I'm not exactly digging that out multiple times a day, it's a non issue. What was nice was actually the divider, since it kept the heavy stuff higher. Again, that's not a huge deal. I've managed to haul 80 lb bags of cement high and tight on the Pinnacle with just the compression straps.

Like AK_Lanche says, the Pinnacle has a boatload of pockets. So many in fact, that I found them annoying and cut off about 5 of them. I don't carry that much stuff that needs organized! Can still keep my spotting scope, raingear, water, jacket, survival kit, and snacks in easy to get at locations. What more do you need?

Yk

I prefer less pockets and better access into the pack myself. Currently all I keep in pockets is some survival stuff in the lid and my spotter and tripod in my rear kangaroo pocket. All the stuff that fit in the little pockets of my pinnacle were hard or breakable enough the I preferred having them in the main bag. I keep my puffy suit, siwash shelter, rain gear, TP and stove just above my sleeping bag and I can get to em quick with just the one zipper.

The pack I had made has 2 big removable side pockets that rarely get installed (not in over two years), one large back pocket that is removable but never comes off and the lid pocket. My favorite pocket though is a waist-belt pocket for snacks! I also carry the AK guide creations chest pack which rounds out my pocket needs

Sounds like you have a pretty good system worked out LuJon. It's not too different than mine, except I don't use a chest pack.

I cut all the small pockets off the sides, and converted the right side rifle sleeve to large 1/2 length pocket with a cinch top (similar to the Kifaru spotter pockets on the T1). I left the compression straps on it, so when I'm not using it I can cinch it down flat with the main bag. That's GREAT for airline travel. I was a little nervous ripping seams on my very expensive bag, but it's proven to be a darn handy system.

Basically, I have the huge rear pocket, top pouch, spotter pocket, and the new side sleeve pocket, which is MORE than enough external storage, but the overall system is both more compact and 11 oz lighter. I rarely get into the main compartment during the day.

I also swapped in a older Dana external frame, which carved off another 10 oz. At 7 lbs even, I think I've got about the lightest Barney's going. It's kinda a weird Barneys/Pat Smith/Dana Gleason hybrid... but it works.

Yk

I just picked up a yukon pack from a friend who actually did not think a barneys pack was comfortable after a couple hikes with it. I guess it just didn't fit him right because I never heard a negative review on the comfort of a barneys. Anyways, his loss is my gain, and I got it all loaded up and adjusted to me and I love it so far, sure beats my old kelty. I like having all that room, it seems like I could put my whole kelty pack and frame inside the yukon bag
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation